U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-27-2013, 09:44 AM

29 posts, read 31,562 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Murfreesboro for a year now and previously visited family here every year. One thing I've noticed that seems a little out of place is the flocks of seagulls that seem to congregate in the parking lots during the winter. I haven't gotten a good look at then up close, so I'm not sure what kind they are. Does anyone know where they come from each winter ? Are they migrants from the Great Lakes wintering here? I'm not sure I see the appeal of parking lots for winter habitat but that's my best guess. This has always intrigued me here so any information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 11:22 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,366,309 times
Found this on a 'bird board' re the parking lot question:

"Probably because it's a good place to loaf around while still commanding a good view of approaching predators, both those coming from the air and on the ground. They have a good view of the sky for Peregrine Falcons, and of the surrounding terrain for dogs, cats, foxes, etc. They also hang out in groups for safety - it guarantees that someone will always be watching even if most are snoozing, and when they take off when an alarm is given it makes it harder for a predator to single out one to go after.

Another factor in the winter is that a black asphalt parking lot may absorb and retain more heat than other available surfaces."

And apparently many species of gulls hang around ANY water. Small ponds, rivers, lakes. Maybe they are from Radnor Lake or Percy Priest??? There is also speculation they like to hang around McDonalds parking lots because they like the fries . . . .

Old 01-27-2013, 12:27 PM

5,102 posts, read 4,937,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Found this on a 'bird board' re the parking lot question:

"Probably because it's a good place to loaf around while still commanding a good view of approaching predators, both those coming from the air and on the ground. They have a good view of the sky for Peregrine Falcons, and of the surrounding terrain for dogs, cats, foxes, etc. They also hang out in groups for safety - it guarantees that someone will always be watching even if most are snoozing, and when they take off when an alarm is given it makes it harder for a predator to single out one to go after.

Another factor in the winter is that a black asphalt parking lot may absorb and retain more heat than other available surfaces."

And apparently many species of gulls hang around ANY water. Small ponds, rivers, lakes. Maybe they are from Radnor Lake or Percy Priest??? There is also speculation they like to hang around McDonalds parking lots because they like the fries . . . .
I've seen flocks seagulls around Percy Priest and Old Hickory Lake. Never seen them at Radnor Lake...I don't think that's their type of place.

You can occasionally see them hanging around Rivergate Mall.

Here's a picture:

Old 01-27-2013, 12:36 PM

29 posts, read 31,562 times
I hadn't thought about the lakes north of here. Maybe they take day trips around these lots looking for scraps? I saw a flock of maybe 20 earlier today. I enjoy seeing them.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:56 PM

5,102 posts, read 4,937,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallahatchie View Post
I hadn't thought about the lakes north of here. Maybe they take day trips around these lots looking for scraps? I saw a flock of maybe 20 earlier today. I enjoy seeing them.
That's probably what it is...lol. They take a day to the Boro and gorge themselves on leftover pizza at MTSU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville