Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 06:08 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Nah, you're thinking of Memphis, where they don't let you in if you don't profess to love BBQ
j/k
Yeah, but that's pork BBQ and we all know pork is the other white meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
LOL....appreciate the humor! I totally understand about stereotypes and I think every city has them. I live in SoCal and we have plenty of them ourselves. You've been very helpful and sounds like I need to visit Nashville and check it out!

Old 02-26-2013, 12:09 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
LOL....appreciate the humor! I totally understand about stereotypes and I think every city has them. I live in SoCal and we have plenty of them ourselves. You've been very helpful and sounds like I need to visit Nashville and check it out!
To be a little more serious...there might not be a plethora of vegetarian places, but they do exist. Many restaurants also have vegetarian options, or at least a number of poultry or fish options (you said no red meat, not no meat at all...so I'm guessing those two are still OK?). As others have mentioned, there are plenty of options outside of restaurants to find at least most of what you want. This isn't really a steak and potatoes type of place...if anything, the stereotypes would call for chicken (fried) and pork (BBQ), though obviously options go well beyond that.

As for the Country Music scene...you will certainly be aware of it, because of the billboards around town and any local media coverage of the numerous country events that take place here (concerts, award shows, etc)...but the music scene itself is more diversified. Downtown certainly draws the small and large Country acts, but there are plenty of places to catch other types of music, with venues that concentrate on rock, indie, rap/hip hop, blues, jazz, etc, as well as classical music (like JMT mentioned). We also get the typical big arena tours from various pop acts.

Just a sample for what has come/is coming to the Bridgestone Arena since December/through June:
-Aerosmith
-Toby Mac
-Trans Siberian Orchestra
-Justin Bieber
-Three Days Grace/Shinedown
-Kid Rock
-P!nk
-Bon Jovi
-Eric Clapton
-Maroon5
-Elton John
-Jimmy Buffett
-Rush
-The Black Keys
-The Avett Brothers
-One Direction
-Beyonce

And that's just the main arena. There are plenty of big and small non-Country acts scattered throughout other venues around the city.

There are several Country stations in town, but they account for about 1/6 of the overall market in terms of listeners. Pop, classic rock, hip hop, alternative, indie, sports/news talk, are all well represented. So in short, if you are not a fan of country, there are plenty of options. The industry is based here. It does have a significant impact. But it is not so dominant that you are forced to listen to it. FWIW, most restaurants, supermarkets, or wherever else that have music playing aren't playing country. Some do, most don't.

You're right that every city has stereotypes. Some of them are rooted in reality, but they rarely apply to the mass populace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville