Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 11:47 AM

5 posts, read 26,792 times

Advertisements

All the way from Dallas TX, We're a vietnamese couple in our late 20s with a newborn. I will be attending Vanderbilt for B-school. Is Nashville a racist city? Or no different than Dallas TX? We 'd like to be in a progressive family friendly environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 12:04 PM

625 posts, read 4,569,762 times
I would say that most racism around here is geared towards African-Americans or Mexicans-not asians (because honestly there arent many here that I've noticed)...and I've never really heard of any overtly racist incidents...you'll be fine here, nothing to worry about. The areas around Vanderbilt are fairly progressive (well for Tennessee at least)...Sylvan Park, Hillsboro Village, around Vandy would be a good area for you to live.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:44 PM

32 posts, read 133,375 times
I'm of asain desecnt and I havent noticed it.

There is actually a little bit of a vietnamese enclave over in the Charlotte Pike area. There are a good number of asain groceries, vietnamese restaurants, etc over in that part of town.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:53 AM

625 posts, read 4,569,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddurkee75 View Post
I'm of asain desecnt and I havent noticed it.

There is actually a little bit of a vietnamese enclave over in the Charlotte Pike area. There are a good number of asain groceries, vietnamese restaurants, etc over in that part of town.

I would be VERY careful about that area...kinda sketchy/spotty...a shop owner was just killed there last night just West of White Bridge Rd (also about a mile west of a large police precinct)...Sylvan Park area south of Charlotte between 46th andwest end is pretty good(better the closer you are to Murphy Rd)...you just have to be careful about where you choose to live when you start getting around Charlotte.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:16 PM

597 posts, read 2,107,825 times
Living around Vanderbilt for many, many years, there were many Asians around. I've always been more than happy to see Asians move to town. Always polite, intelligent folks who always make fine contributions to the city. That's my take.

RycherX, hope your time in Nashville is all you hope it will be. Who knows, like so many, you may just decide to stick around after graduate school. No argument from me.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:23 AM

41 posts, read 193,009 times
Any city in America is somewhat racist. You will always run into some people who are racist while others who are not. Specially, more south you go more rednecks you will meet. I am non-white and I haven't faced any racial situation yet.

But yes, the POLICEMEN in this area are bad. Then again, who are goods to begin with? Anyways, make sure you change your driver's license to TN's when you move here. I just received gift card worth of $220 from white POLICEMEN.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 9,754 times
Default life in Nashville

Nashville is a very diverse and wonderful place to live. So many great
restaurants and things to do. I moved here 18 years ago from Dallas/Ft.Worth and I've watched our city grow by leaps and bounds.
I work at Pilkerton Realtors in the Green Hills/Vandy area. There are a lot
of great homes to choose from that are convenient to downtown. We also
have excellent healthcare.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:43 PM

23 posts, read 57,320 times
Nashville is a very diverse city...last I've heard, there are over 80 ethnic groups represented here.....that's a big number huh?

Blessings to you guys,
Steve

Old 11-01-2007, 12:33 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,003 times
Default moving

You'll find that Nashville has some similar areas to Dallas. I was born and raised there, and here, the Vanderbilt and Belmont areas are alot like N. Dallas around the SMU area with beautiful homes, diversity, friendliness, etc.
It definately is "Southern", but cultured as well.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:50 PM

112 posts, read 436,725 times
Just live in the nicer areas near Vanderbilt (Hillsboro Village, Green Hills, etc.) and you'll be fine. The rents are pricier in this area, but it is quite diverse since the University has such a prominence. I had wondered the same thing about the diversity in Nashville before I moved here (I was moving from NYC) and I have found it to be fine living so close to the Vanderbilt campus. Drive over to Charlotte Pike when you need to stock up on Asian groceries; I wouldn't recommend living there no matter how cheap you find the rents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: