Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:17 AM

584 posts, read 1,136,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
I can offer some insight, OP, as someone from Buffalo who moved South 2 years ago. We did not move to Nashville, but that area was on our short list of places to visit to see if it was something that we would like.

Needless to say, we were not impressed. A lot of the city itsself was very pretty, and you could find some suburbs that were basically lined with McMansions, but as we were driving around, visiting apartment complexes, and getting a feel for the city, we couldn't help but feel like there was quite a large divide between the richer area's and the poorer area, and it was really hard to get a feel for what the more middle class areas were like. At one point, we were trying to find a specific apartment complex, and turned down a street, and passed a little old woman out for a walk, who was also carrying with her a rather large strick for unknown reasons.

Another thing that stood out to us was driving around on the highways in that city, there was quite a large amount of trash on the side of highways. We also noticed a lot of abandoned cars on the side of the road as we were leaving on route 40.

I can't speak for anyone's opinion of that area other than my own, and you may love it, but I just wanted to provide my insight, coming from the same area as you. The final impression that we got from Nashville was that if you had quite a bit of money, then it would be a perfect place to visit (we stopped at one point at a mall that I could only describle as the rich persons mall, as you would walk through it, all you'd see were stores that catered to specific brands, as opposed to say, stores that carried several different brands under in the same space), but if you didn't have that much money, it probably wouldn't be the place for you.
I feel a little sad when I read this. The snapshot visit you got was limited. Yes, you can visit Middle TN and see exactly what you saw - yet there is so much more and yes, a big middle class where 'ordinary' folks are the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 12:53 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anony-Momma View Post
I feel a little sad when I read this. The snapshot visit you got was limited. Yes, you can visit Middle TN and see exactly what you saw - yet there is so much more and yes, a big middle class where 'ordinary' folks are the norm.

Well, we were specifically driving around the city of Nashville, and some of the surrounding suburbs over a 2 day period. Our hotel was near Brentwood, and so we were around that area as well.

I also didn't mean to come in and try to bash a city that I only have roughly 48 hours to expore, and I'm sure wasn't a complete snapshot of everything it has to offer, but the thread caught my eye being from Buffalo, and though we all have different personalilties and likes and dislikes, since we both have spent a majority of our lives in the same general area, I wanted to give them an idea of what stood out to me in the time that I was there, coming from someone who grew up in the same area that they did.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:19 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
You were probably at the Green Hills Mall - VERY high end . . Nordstrom, Kate Spade, Tiffany's. In truth, we also have Hickory Hollow Mall . .

And I would MUCH rather have a mall with high end vendors, even if I couldn't afford what they offer (and in all honesty, don't WANT what they offer) than a dead mall like Hickory Hollow.

A city that attracts the people who build McMansions and wear earrings from Tiffany's is a city on it's way UP. And that's good for the upper class as well as the "rest of us". We all move up together - more jobs, more opportunities, more growth.

I don't have that much money (only place I spend any at Green Hills is Auntie Annie's Pretzels!) but I really love living here. Nashville is not about money - I mean, it's not the Hamptons!

It's MUSIC CITY!!!!

Old 04-12-2013, 02:42 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
You were probably at the Green Hills Mall - VERY high end . . Nordstrom, Kate Spade, Tiffany's. In truth, we also have Hickory Hollow Mall . .

And I would MUCH rather have a mall with high end vendors, even if I couldn't afford what they offer (and in all honesty, don't WANT what they offer) than a dead mall like Hickory Hollow.

A city that attracts the people who build McMansions and wear earrings from Tiffany's is a city on it's way UP. And that's good for the upper class as well as the "rest of us". We all move up together - more jobs, more opportunities, more growth.

I don't have that much money (only place I spend any at Green Hills is Auntie Annie's Pretzels!) but I really love living here. Nashville is not about money - I mean, it's not the Hamptons!

It's MUSIC CITY!!!!
Does that mall have a bookstore downstairs? I remember us going down some stairs to a bookstore that had a little cafe place in it, as we needed to use the bathroom.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:58 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
It used to . . sadly, it's now The Container Store. It was called David Kidd - two floors with the cafe downstairs. Huge loss for the city.

Local Author Anne Pachett opened an independent bookstore not far from Green Hills mall as she believes every city should have a bookstore! All the Border's closed, as did a couple of the Barnes & Nobles. There is still one in Cool Springs. I guess too many people hang out at bookstores but don't buy.

Here is Anne Pachett's bookstore, Parnassus Books!

Parnassus Books

Old 04-12-2013, 04:01 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Well, we were specifically driving around the city of Nashville, and some of the surrounding suburbs over a 2 day period. Our hotel was near Brentwood, and so we were around that area as well.

I also didn't mean to come in and try to bash a city that I only have roughly 48 hours to expore, and I'm sure wasn't a complete snapshot of everything it has to offer, but the thread caught my eye being from Buffalo, and though we all have different personalilties and likes and dislikes, since we both have spent a majority of our lives in the same general area, I wanted to give them an idea of what stood out to me in the time that I was there, coming from someone who grew up in the same area that they did.
Nashville does have a good bit of wealth for a city its size (some, but certainly not close to most is fueled by the celebrity atmosphere from the sports and entertainment industries)...and Nashville does have a lot of areas that are very impoverished. Some of these areas are pretty close to each other. I can see how you would get the impression that there is a stark rich/poor divide if you spent a lot of time in certain sections of town.

But like most cities...most of Nashville is middle class. And the same goes for the suburbs. Brentwood is a very nice area, as is Green Hills. It just so happens that a lot of the city's wealth is concentrated around and between the two. Had you stayed in another side of town, you may have had a completely different impression.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:26 PM

280 posts, read 473,177 times
With the healthcare system overhaul, you will see a lot more of the hospitals and clinics combining and merging operations and facilities to be more competitive. There is talk in MN of merging our world-class Mayo Clinic.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:39 PM

813 posts, read 2,031,382 times
Quote:

You probably just visited the wrong areas for you in your short visit. The metro you ended up in tends to be even more expensive than Nashville. Also, the mall you visited is the most exclusive mall in TN. It's the place where folks like Taylor Swift and health care execs shop. In other words, it's probably the last mall you would want to visit if you want to see how the average Joe lives in Nashville.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:55 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,597 times
Quote:
I can offer some insight, OP, as someone from Buffalo who moved South 2 years ago. We did not move to Nashville, but that area was on our short list of places to visit to see if it was something that we would like.

Needless to say, we were not impressed. A lot of the city itsself was very pretty, and you could find some suburbs that were basically lined with McMansions, but as we were driving around, visiting apartment complexes, and getting a feel for the city, we couldn't help but feel like there was quite a large divide between the richer area's and the poorer area, and it was really hard to get a feel for what the more middle class areas were like. At one point, we were trying to find a specific apartment complex, and turned down a street, and passed a little old woman out for a walk, who was also carrying with her a rather large strick for unknown reasons.

Another thing that stood out to us was driving around on the highways in that city, there was quite a large amount of trash on the side of highways. We also noticed a lot of abandoned cars on the side of the road as we were leaving on route 40.

I can't speak for anyone's opinion of that area other than my own, and you may love it, but I just wanted to provide my insight, coming from the same area as you. The final impression that we got from Nashville was that if you had quite a bit of money, then it would be a perfect place to visit (we stopped at one point at a mall that I could only describle as the rich persons mall, as you would walk through it, all you'd see were stores that catered to specific brands, as opposed to say, stores that carried several different brands under in the same space), but if you didn't have that much money, it probably wouldn't be the place for you.
so you ended up in Charlotte? they don't call it south buffalo for nothing..not surprising..the traffic is a nigthmare there imo but..to each his own I guess...cheers

Old 04-16-2013, 04:59 PM

23 posts, read 57,339 times
Default Moving to Thompsons Station...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anz View Post
My wife came home (back to Buffalo) from Thompsons Station and fell in love with it. Here words to me were "We have no reason to be here anymor." So, with that we have started looking at places to live and I am starting to look for a job. Thompsons Station is country-ish now, but is supposed to go through the building boom that Spring Hill did about 15 years ago. My wife said that everyone she has meet has been very friendly and feels this will be a good fit for our family.
That's great, we did and said the very same thing 10 years ago after visiting from FL. so, now being here 10 years, raising my kids, I wouldn't have traded being here for the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville