Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2013, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,655 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am a 22 year old girl from Oregon looking to move to Nashville within the next 6 months. I am visiting hopefully this coming month to go check out some apartments and the general area. I am not familiar with the area, or even the state, so I am needing to start figuring the safest areas for a girl my age to live as well as other things like where are the best places to hang out, or even what church to go to! I have the job side of things figured out already, I am transferring locations with my current employer, but everything else is so new to me!
I would prefer to live somewhere with a "small town" feel and somewhere I can drive my own car. I am used to Portland night life so I do love the city and definitely want to be close to that. Are there any towns with a happy medium?
I am also looking for a christian church, nothing too small, but maybe one with many people in my age group.
If anyone knows anything about how weather is in the Portland area, I would love a comparison to how it is over there in Nashville!
Any help would be great! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 01:26 PM

86 posts, read 210,797 times
Where will be commuting to? Just knowing that location will be a good place to start for people giving you advice. My wife and I (both in our 20s) have been here for almost 3 years, living north of Nashville. We like this side because it has more of a small-town feel without being extremely far from the city, unlike the area south of Nashville, which is much more thickly developed. We've settled in Goodlettsville, at least for now, and we love it. However, if you ended up working in Franklin or on that side of Nashville, living north of downtown would not be ideal in terms of commute.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:02 PM

593 posts, read 1,355,807 times
^ That comment is right on. It would be a help to know where in town your job will be. Besides that:

* You said you want to be close to the city and the nightlife yet have a small-town feel. Does "happy medium" mean that you just don't want your apartment complex to be in a high-density area lacking green space? Or do you really mean a small town, and "close" just means it's not farther than you'd want to drive at night? If so, how far is that?

* Odds are, you'll not just be able to drive your own car, you'll have to.

* Churches, obviously, shouldn't be a problem.

* The weather would be pretty different. Nashville is warmer most months and is downright hot during the summer, but will have colder winter nights. The rainfall here is pretty evenly balanced throughout the year, as opposed to Portland's rainy winters and dry summers (according to the Weather Channel averages, anyway, I've never lived in Portland).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville