U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 10:58 AM

171 posts, read 263,716 times

Advertisements

Hi!! I'm looking to move to Nashville. I'm planning to stay for 3 months to Network & see if I can find a job in my field. I heard Short Term Rentals are Expensive to me so someone suggested that I look for a Room & Board situation w/ a Family. Sounds more suitable on a 3 Month basis - eventually when I do find a job I'm gonna want MY OWN Apt. So,

1) Where can I find Room & Board ads?

Problem is that I'm Up Here so I'm NOT Accessible to just walking into Krogers or Publix to browse @ their Ads on their Bulletin Boards. Plus, someone told me to look on Craigslist which I MOST DEFINITELY WOULD NOT Prefer b/c I had a BAD EXPERIENCE w/ them in the past & as a result I ended up Canceling my E-Mail address search engine so I wouldn't keep getting any more messages by them (I went to a brand new search engine & created a New Address)

But anyway I EMPHASIZE w/ a FAMILY. I'm in my 40's & I really don't want to stay w/ Party going Kids & from staying w/ a few diff. Families up here has been better. Most likely they'll leave me alone & give me space (not distract me) to go about my biz (I tried doing a search here online by typing in Rooms for Rent in Nashville & all I get is & sounds like a Younger Crowd just looking for Roommates & Not the Family who's looking for someone to rent out their spare room.

Lastly, just like everyone else here who's looked @ diff. apts. I learned some zip codes in which some aparts. that I'm interested in are. The zip codes are 37210, 37211, & 37217. I know to Stay Away from Antioch. A friend of mine who was a Transplant had told me the same thing a local told me.

So, looking @ the map I'm hoping that ALL these Zip Codes are NOT in the Antiioch area. Tho' someone that I met up here (North) who Claims that she knows Nashville well told me that ALL 3 Zip Codes ARE ANTIOCH, but I don't believe her. She has a tendency to Discourage me. So,

2) Can someone tell me what these 3 diff. zip code AREAS are called?

When I went down there driving around the 37211 a local told me that that was still Donelson, but I thought Donelson was ONLY the Airport & the Lebanon Pike area up to Hermitage. & plus, someone told me that the 37211 & 37217 are Both considered the Brentwood & Antioch borders, but I'd rather live on the Brentwood side. If that is true then I'd like to know what street or where Antioch's Border begins so I can Stay Clear.

Lastly, I'm a musician & I want to live close to 440 West so I can have easy access to jumping on the highway to a gig or any other musical event, job, etc. so

3) What area (also zip code) would be a Reasonable Price AND SAFE - CLEAN to live in?

Please let me know. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 11:55 AM

957 posts, read 3,423,998 times
The Tennesean...Maybe. I don't think any one really reads it or advertises in it any more though. Maybe a real estate agent that handles rentals, but thos ewill be on the higher end of the spectrum. An agent is not going to mess with it unless they can make some money. If you're afraid of CraigsList, you'll have a hard time finding anything.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:06 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,479,844 times
My advice is to create a separate email account that you only use for Craigslist and just be vigilant. It really is the best avenue for this.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
My advice is to create a separate email account that you only use for Craigslist and just be vigilant. It really is the best avenue for this.
Vivelafrance, thanks for the advice. However, I was browsing thru Craigslist, but all I see are COLLEGE (AGE) KIDS. I'm just looking for a Nice FAMILY who has a Spare Room & wants to rent it for more pocket $$. Like I said I'm in My 40'S & even tho' I Can't Afford to stay @ a Hotel or a Short Term Rental which are A LOT of $$ I Really Don't want to Roommate w/ people in their 20's PARTYING, bringing their "friends" home where I NEED to go somewhere for The Night or Day or whatever b/c he/she wants to be alone or have their privacy.

So,

Could you please tell me (besides calling a Realtor) Where Families Post Room For Rent Ads?

I'm assuming roughly that one would have to walk into a Publix or Kroger's to check their bulletin boards. I'm open to more ideas. Thanks!!

Old 04-30-2013, 03:35 PM

50,000 posts, read 48,244,919 times
I have never seen such a thing here, and have never personally known anyone to do this here.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:41 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,479,844 times
I agree this is not at all common in the Nashville area.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:51 PM

3,675 posts, read 6,075,438 times
The lady next to me used to rent out a room (on Craigslist) for $500 a month, but it was JUST the room. I checked the bulletin board at the Grassland market and there's nothing listed like that. Sorry! Craigslist has a "HOUSING WANTED" category. Perhaps you should post your specifics there.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
The lady next to me used to rent out a room (on Craigslist) for $500 a month, but it was JUST the room. I checked the bulletin board at the Grassland market and there's nothing listed like that. Sorry! Craigslist has a "HOUSING WANTED" category. Perhaps you should post your specifics there.
Hi CountryGirl2b,

Yes, That's Exactly what I was referring too. There ARE ads for Rooms for Rent in Craigslist (but like I said - it's Mainly from College Aged Kids). Now, someone down there DID tell me about that there people Do Rent out their rooms. I know you said it's Just a Room. Well, that's what I was expecting & wanting. I mean, I paid rent for a room w/ Various Families up here. I don't think the situation down there as you had described is any diff. than here. I rented out a room w/ various families & you're paying for the room (Month to month) & Sharing the Bathroom & the Kitchen. I don't know of any situation w/ renting out a room whether it's w/ a family or some old lady that you Couldn't Use the Bathroom!!! Nor could use the Kitchen (you gotta eat, right - unless you want to spend most of your days & nights eating @ McDonalds).

I Never been in a situation where I was ONLY allowed to Live in a Room w/out using the necessarities above (except if there was only a Microwave or Only a Fridge/Freezer in the Room which is rare - I know had 1 situation kinda like that - it was w/ a middle age woman renting a room in Her APARTMENT - & she had a Fridge/Freezer in the room - tho' She DID let me use Her Microwave & Toaster in her kitchen).

So, I guess one of my options is to open up a new e-mail account that I'm Only gonna use for Craigslist & see what I can find. Plus, I was gonna place an Ad in the Tennessean.

Oh & BTW.

I know the commute from Donelson area (Elm Hill Pike, Donelson Pike, Lebanon Pike, etc.) isn't too far from West End, I would like to stay In Betw. these 2 areas like around Briley Pkway & I-65 anywhere Close to 440 West. So,

Would I be able to find around a $400 - $500 Room for Rent around West End Ave. area?

Thanks!

Old 05-07-2013, 12:52 PM

3,675 posts, read 6,075,438 times
Sorry! When I wrote "JUST" the room, I meant, she didn't provide any meals, as in "room and BOARD". But yes, her renters could use the kitchen and the bathroom and the toaster, etc.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:35 PM

6,001 posts, read 9,500,929 times
I'm thinking you are looking for a basement room with a bath. You may have to rig up an impromptu kitchen - microwave & mini fridge. Some basements will have a wet bar.

I'm not sure a lot of families want a stranger co-inhabiting their living quarters but they may rent space in the basement with its own entrance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or