Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2007, 10:27 AM

153 posts, read 526,134 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife, infant, and myself are considering a move to Nashville. If we do, we will be both working at Vanderbilt, and have narrowed down our neighborhoods to the above. We would prefer to either walk (Hillsboro) or a very short drive with little traffic (both of the other two?).

I know Hillsboro has a little shopping district and is closer, but you get slightly less house/land for same price.

I know it is all a give and take, but does anyone here have a strong preference for or against any of the above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 10:48 AM

13,352 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbourbaki View Post
Hi all,

My wife, infant, and myself are considering a move to Nashville. If we do, we will be both working at Vanderbilt, and have narrowed down our neighborhoods to the above. We would prefer to either walk (Hillsboro) or a very short drive with little traffic (both of the other two?).

I know Hillsboro has a little shopping district and is closer, but you get slightly less house/land for same price.

I know it is all a give and take, but does anyone here have a strong preference for or against any of the above?
If it were me, I would not hesitate to live in the Hillsboro Village area. My brother and his family (2 kids) lived there a few years ago when he was at Vanderbilt. They LOVED it.

Besides being able to walk to just about everything they need (Vanderbilt, Harris Teeter supermarket, Dragon Park, the post office, banks, Belcourt cinema, Provence bakery, and of course PANCAKE PANTRY) it's a very family-friendly neighborhood. Smaller yards, sidewalks, and front porches make for a friendly neighborhood. For example, if you want to take a walk in Hillsboro Village, you've got sidewalks. In most of the other parts of town (including those you mentioned) you'll be walking on the street. If I had an infant, I'd rather live in a neighborhood with sidewalks.

How much land do you actually want? While the back yards in Hillsboro Village are smaller than you'll find in Green Hills, it was still enough for them to have a nice garden, and for the kids to have a big tire swing and a neat little clubhouse in the back yard. Smaller yards mean less maintenance, too.

So my vote is for Hillsboro Village.

Last edited by JMT; 10-31-2007 at 11:18 AM..

Old 10-31-2007, 10:54 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
Either of the three would be nice places to live. Each one has a slightly different "feel" to the neighborhood.

If I had a wife and child I might lean a little away from Hillsboro towards the other two areas; but it's not a strong preference.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:58 PM

32 posts, read 133,453 times
I've used to live in Cherokee Park, now I live in Hillsboro Village (I rent of course, because I cant afford to buy in either area!), and I would have to say I prefer the Hillsboro area. Cherokee Park was a great neighborhood, but there arent any sidewalks and there wasnt much to do.

JMT does a nice job summarizing the benefits of HV.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:35 PM

112 posts, read 436,898 times
I live in Hillsboro Village and it's great. I have a 3 minute walking commute to the Medical Center. I am single, however, so I'm not sure how it would be in perspective with a family. Some of my married friends live in Green Hills, but it is much more residential where they are and they are always complaining about the parking situation once they get to campus. Living here makes it feel like there are always people around and things happening with all the stores & restaurants scattered around the campus vicinity, so I don't feel isolated or lonely. I love that I can walk around the neighborhood, walk on 21st or to the stores on West End, stroll around on campus, and even walk over to Centennial Park so I don't feel trapped having to take a car to get EVERYWHERE. Of course, I keep a car for when I want to drive to Green Hills, but I am happy living so close to where I work.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:02 PM

317 posts, read 1,231,110 times
You are definitely close in any of the neighborhoods and have chosen great areas, especially considering your commute. The best way to narrow your criteria is to actually drive the areas yourself. Hillsboro Village has so much to do within walking distance and has a unique character. Green Hills just opened the new Hill Center not too far from the Green Hills mall that is a spectacular new outdoor shopping center with some unique shops and restaurants including a Whole Foods Grocery store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville