Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 05:25 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,931 times

Advertisements

Groovmos-
I've heard some scary things about dinosaurs, like the bones were buried by the devil to test our faith in god. Interestingly, we've learned nothing of dinosaurs yet in the public schools and we've just about finished 2d grade so maybe they are a more controversial topic in these parts.

Back to OP our school book fair has a table dedicated to Christian books and no other religions and at my kids spring class party they decorated Easter eggs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 06:20 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
Just wondering - dinosaurs I believe do not actually exist. And growing up in Nashville decades ago, every kid I knew loved learning about dinosaurs, which actually did exist, and we learned about them in school. Trying to paint Tennesseans as anti-paleontological or something is a seemingly low blow, if that is what is being implied as it would be a falsehood. And how do Tennessee kids actually hear and interpret creationism being substituted for science? I would like to know.

False and hateful commentary is the name of the game these days, the culture wars continue full bore. And lets be real, the majority of the population in this country may be open to climate change, but the majority in the country definitely do not believe that human beings are so powerful as to cause it, neither do a significant fraction of scientists.
Really? You were just wondering if I meant past-tense or present? Reaching, aren't you?

I'm certainly not trying to paint all of Tennessee as ANYTHING, just telling the OP she might encounter the same things here, only from the opposite extreme. Extreme, not the norm. Was that really unclear to you? Judging by your many interesting posts in the past, I doubt it. No need to look for a conflict.

Lastly, I mentioned the viewpoint of some that climate change is a myth. I never once talked about the cause, so why are you so confrontational?

Old 05-11-2013, 06:48 AM

265 posts, read 487,861 times
I always find it interesting when people assume that schools have a "liberal" or "conservative" agenda to push. Schools should be in the business of disseminating information, FACTS. Belief systems, while powerful, are simply that--beliefs. As a scientist, I'm always disappointed when people don't seem to understand the difference between the two.

That said, we have been to chorus concerts in December where all of the songs have to do with Christmas, which makes me wonder how the non-Christians in the room feel about it. My kids (middle and high) have a wide variety of friends, both conservative and liberal (assuming they are getting that from their parents). While it can make for interesting lunchtime conversations, I haven't seen overt political or religious messages from the teachers or administration. We have found teachers in high school lit classes that only seem capable of drawing parallels between the Bible and other texts my kids read, which is unfortunate, in our opinion. Many other texts exists that would offer the opportunity to draw the same parallels, which the kids in the class are not exposed to, unless their parents know about them/also discuss them. I try to give the teacher the benefit of the doubt in this case, and assume their constant reference to the Bible is simply because they are unaware of other texts which could bolster their point. But case in point, when my child offered a parallel to another text that was valid, they were not graded down nor their statements ridiculed, and it provided a learning opportunity for everyone.

Without digressing further, I think that you would probably find the Williamson Cty. area welcoming to your political and religious persuasion, as it will be in the majority. But there ARE people who fall on all areas of the spectrum, which provide you and your family with the opportunity to discuss the big ideas that differentiate "liberal" and "conservative."

Old 05-11-2013, 06:55 AM

694 posts, read 745,124 times
To the OPs question: I have lived in Rutherford County, TN (borders Williamson to the East) since '76. For as long as I can remember, I have heard that schools Williamson County -where Franklin and Brentwood are - are really good. A popular, Conservative talkshow host in Nashville - Phil Valentine - moved from Davidson County (Nashville) to Williamson County because of the schools and high taxes in Nashville. He's heard over most of the nation, so you might get him there somewhere.

Things ARE getting more liberal here but we have a long way to go, thankfully, before we are anything near WA. That being said, we DO have a lot of people who believe things that are easily disproved. I collect US coins and I find people here to actually believe that the reason all the presidents face the opposite way than Lincoln is because they all turned their backs on him because he freed the slaves ...about the stupidest thing I have ever heard, since all the coins where designed independently and over a 60-year period or so. Overall, this is a highly Conservative area of the country.

Charles Sands

Old 05-11-2013, 08:53 AM

909 posts, read 1,062,496 times
There is a high school about to open in the west side of Rutherford, not far from Williamson and it will be the outstanding. State-of-the-art everything! Check it out...
Stewarts Creek High School

Old 05-11-2013, 09:10 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Groovmos-
I've heard some scary things about dinosaurs, like the bones were buried by the devil to test our faith in god. Interestingly, we've learned nothing of dinosaurs yet in the public schools and we've just about finished 2d grade so maybe they are a more controversial topic in these parts.

Back to OP our school book fair has a table dedicated to Christian books and no other religions and at my kids spring class party they decorated Easter eggs.
These decisions are definitely site-based. There is no way we would have Easter eggs at our school, Lipscomb in Brentwood.

Our principal goes out of her way to make sure the parties are secular, even reminding parents DAILY that any fall party decorations should have only leaves and pumpkins, no black cats, witches or jack o-lanterns. No Santas at Christmastime, just holly or snowmen etc. Definitely no Jesus or crosses! Her vigilance has gotten kind of ridiculous.

We also have never had a table of religious books of any kind at our book fair.

Just because one famous conservative radio commentator moved here does not mean everyone else thinks the way he does. I am Republican and Christian and I cannot stand his show.

I've never heard about any questionable essay topics. I've always thought the reading list was weak. But I'm an old English teacher.

OP, I'm pretty sure you will be much happier here than where you are just based on the demographics of the area. I'm also certain you will be offended sometimes because we do have liberal people. Think about it: Yes, it is the country music and Christian music recording capital, but it also is a creative capital, and many creative types are not religious in the least. It is a very interesting combo.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 05-11-2013 at 09:37 AM..

Old 05-11-2013, 09:19 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times

Old 05-11-2013, 09:46 AM

940 posts, read 1,901,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Really? You were just wondering if I meant past-tense or present? Reaching, aren't you?

I'm certainly not trying to paint all of Tennessee as ANYTHING, just telling the OP she might encounter the same things here, only from the opposite extreme. Extreme, not the norm. Was that really unclear to you? Judging by your many interesting posts in the past, I doubt it. No need to look for a conflict.

Lastly, I mentioned the viewpoint of some that climate change is a myth. I never once talked about the cause, so why are you so confrontational?
As for confrontational: The story line here starts with your post which fits the narrative of the leftist who moves south and has to deal with backwards southerners. And no one said you painted "all of Tennessee" but look at what you did say above, you have an opinion that extremism is something in Tennessee that has to be occasionally or maybe frequently endured by the most reasonable transplants. And the tone has been somewhat as a counter (defensive?) to what the OP is living with in WA state, rather than a tone of sincere help to someone not accepting the dominant ideology.

And so the "viewpoint of some that climate change is a myth" really means that some dumb southerners don't know about the ice age? Seriously? I don't think it's any mystery what was implied: anthropogenic global warming is not accepted by many in the south. Because that is the core of the current debate as it is being played out, so again let's be real. Data from the last 15 years does not support any definitive temperature trend, and I think any comments about climate change should be off the table on this board.

And I would really like to hear about where is creationism being substituted for science around there, since my career has been entirely concerning applied science. And kicked off with a baccalaureate from a Tennessee institution.

So far as the "reaching" comment goes, it could be seen as having silly fun with words so relax and accept my apology for it being superfluous.

Last edited by groovamos; 05-11-2013 at 10:05 AM..

Old 05-11-2013, 05:55 PM
set set started this thread

4 posts, read 12,051 times
Thanks everyone for a your input! I really appreciate it! I found it amusing that the principal in Brentwood wants to make the school parties secular, so no black cats etc. at our school, the 2 parties of the year are Halloween and Valentines. The Halloween parties are a huge event with all the kids being able to dress up in costume and parade through the school, black cats, witches etc ..

I am not offended by liberals, as I said some of my closet friends here are liberal. I just don't appreciate kids at school, being rude to my son over politics and conservative beliefs.. It sounds like people are respectful of differing viewpoints there, which is nice.. That is not typically the case here in Seattle. Most conservatives here keep their mouth shut most of the time otherwise you will get belittled. I just have told my son that he needs to tell these certain boys they need to agree to disagree and move on. My husband is in grad school here and the professors have been know to basically bash conservatism on a regular basis.

My husband and I are making a trip there this summer....so looking forward to checking it all out!!

Old 05-11-2013, 06:32 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by set View Post
. Most conservatives here keep their mouth shut most of the time otherwise you will get belittled.
As I tried to say before, the situation here is similar, only in reverse. During the last election, a neighbor was talking about a co-worker being "outed" as a Democrat. I bet you never heard that in Seattle, haha!

Enjoy your visit this summer. I'm sure you'll love it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville