Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:04 PM

522 posts, read 1,849,211 times

Advertisements

Hello folks, hope to get some helpful feedback on SR 840. I am taking a trip from Memphis to VA and one of my co-workers were telling me about SR 840 and how it can shave up to 30mins off your driving time if you use it vs taking I40 or I440.

When I look on google maps I can't find SR 840, when I look at some other maps it appears that SR840 is I440; so not sure what the difference is.

I plan on traveling at night and anticipate to be in the Nashville area around 11pm; will SR840 be a good option to bypass Nashville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 08:21 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,263,190 times
At 11 PM, you should go straight through town. 440 would be OK, but unnecessary. If you are continuing on 40, your friend is absolutely 100% incorrect that it would shave time off by taking 840. It would shave some time going to 65 or 24 from Memphis...but not around to 40. It's about 25 more actual miles of driving...so the only time it saves you is during rush hour.

If you zoom in on Google Maps, you can see 840. It just opened this last November (the western section between 40 & 65)...so that's why you aren't seeing it on all maps. It's there.

But just in case I wasn't clear earlier, do not take it. It will be a total waste of time at that time of night.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:32 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,566,018 times
I second this. No need to bypass town that time of night.

Then you can check out our little skyline!

Old 05-15-2013, 10:44 PM

263 posts, read 610,844 times
Your friend gave you bad advice!

Old 05-15-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_commuter View Post
Your friend gave you bad advice!
It's not bad advice for the rush hours, especially in the afternoon. But the rest of the day it's not necessary, and it certainly doesn't apply to late night/early morning.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:36 AM

13,336 posts, read 39,711,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
It's not bad advice for the rush hours, especially in the afternoon. But the rest of the day it's not necessary, and it certainly doesn't apply to late night/early morning.
Not to mention it's an ugly drive, at least the section between Murfreesboro and Lebanon.

What's Briley Parkway like during rush hour? I've always wondered if taking Briley Parkway is a good alternative to I-40 during rush hour.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 05-16-2013, 09:10 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,431,892 times
Depends on what part of Briley, but generally Briley is pretty packed. And there are red lights on some sections of Briley (around the airport to I 24 for example). It's better than driving all the way into town on a completely gridlocked interstate usually, but it certainly is no silver bullet.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Not to mention it's an ugly drive, at least the section between Murfreesboro and Lebanon.

What's Briley Parkway like during rush hour? I've always wondered if taking Briley Parkway is a good alternative to I-40 during rush hour.
I don't think the drive is ugly. Some sections are somewhat scenic. My other issue with late night is if you had something go wrong (breakdown or accident), you are more than likely in the middle of nowhere, on a road with very little traffic, and with virtually no gas stations or any other businesses where you can get assistance. Even on the rural sections of interstate, there are more gas stations, and it is more traveled and patrolled.

As for Briley...the northern loop varies. The western half does not have as much traffic, but is two lanes per side, so traffic can be heavy (though in my limited experience, always flowing). The eastern half is mostly 4 lanes per side, so it can handle quite a bit more. I think most of the problems stem from the interchanges, not traffic on the actual road (unless there is an accident).

The big problem with Briley is the disparity in distance. It isn't a rounded bypass. It's almost square. The route through downtown/I-40 from each end of Briley is about 11.4 miles. Taking Briley is around 23.0 miles. So it is only useful if you can average twice the speed that you could by taking 40. I think that would only be the case for traveling west to east in the afternoon, or east to west in the morning.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:01 PM

522 posts, read 1,849,211 times
Thank you guys for the useful feedback. It does appear that taking SR840 will be longer than going through I40. However, my coworker said that traffic is worse at night. But you all live here and experience this on a daily basis and I will take you all's recommendation to stick with I40, thanks!

Old 05-16-2013, 08:14 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,210,179 times
840 is a state highway built like an interstate with limited access & 4 lanes all the way. The only way to save time is to keep traveling 70 vs 55 or less due to a wreck. I have no clue how much over nite truck traffic vs the commuter drivers in the daytime. 840 is about 35 miles out from the city. There are few if any developments for gas, food, hotel, etc.

The reason you don't see it on most maps is it was just completed last year between 40 & 65. That segment may not appear unless you get one of the new free TN state map at a rest area visitor center.

In the AM rush, 440 may be a better bypass from downtown but in the evening rush avoid it as it backs up from 24 back to 65 & sometimes back to 40. It may be a better route for high/wide trucks to avoid the lower clearance downtown. In these periods, the old Briley from West Nashville past opryland to 40 on the east side can be better than sitting in rush traffic. Just be sure to follow the sign so you turn the right way & continue traveling to Knoxville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville