Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 09:44 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,890,126 times

Advertisements

I was out house hunting in the smyrna area today..went into a few upscale subdivisions to see houses and while I was in one of the houses, I went out the back to the patio and next door there was a house with an inground pool, a kid swimming in it and two barking bichons that never stopped barking from the minute I set foot outside. The dogs were fenced in, but the noise was so irritating! I couldn't imagine having to put up with that everytime I stepped outside. I am sure the owner was home since the kid was small and in the pool. It just turned me off to the house because I sensed this would be an issue..anyone have experience with this? I would think the HOA has rules but do I want to snitch on someones dogs? Like I need more drama in my life!

The next house I went into the dogs were penned in two cages in the bathroom, and the bathroom had that unmistakeable doggie odor! All I could think of at that point was fleas in the carpeting and underpadding!That and the thought that Smyrna is going to the dogs!!!

Last edited by 12buttons; 06-28-2013 at 09:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 09:50 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,572,875 times
No.

If it bothered me in the first few minutes, it would drive me insane over the next months.

Then I would be over on the "Non-Romantic Relationships" forum asking how I should approach my neighbors about their barking dogs.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:10 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,550,635 times
Never. No reason to.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:19 PM

159 posts, read 331,428 times
Absolutely no.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:14 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,550,635 times
It's different if someone with barking dogs moves in. But this is something you can fix here easily. Don't buy the house.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:44 PM

263 posts, read 610,915 times
No. It's obnoxious, and it's a sure sign of our times that people care so little about their neighbors that they keep noisy dogs in the yard. I live in an apartment and am surrounded by people with barking dogs. I don't know why people have lost all sense of care and empathy for neighbors. Sad world.

But no, I wouldn't buy there.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:03 AM

455 posts, read 1,134,633 times
Nope. Don't do it!

In fact, we faced this very scenario when house-hunting two years ago. We liked the house, liked the backyard, stepped outside and were immediately barked at non-stop by two ******* (or they could have been male dogs) that were penned up on the neighbor's back porch.

We later ended up buying a home on the other side of the same subdivision with no (visible) barking dogs in the picture.

Of course, you can't predict what's going to happen AFTER you move. In our case, that meant one of the neighbor's ended up getting a new beagle puppy to accompany their aging beagle. There's a lot more yelping (and I don't mean just http://www.yelp.com) going on these days.

But at least none of our immediate neighbors keep their dogs in the yard most of the time. That's completely irresponsible - particularly if you know your dog is prone to barking. (We had neighbors on one side of us who sadly moved away but who did keep their dog in the backyard, but it was a kind and dignified greyhound that NEVER barked and would sometimes walk over to the fence to be petted.)

Old 07-03-2013, 05:41 PM

50 posts, read 107,880 times
I lived in a house with 2 barking hounds next door for 9 years and it was one of the things I was most looking forward to getting away from once we sold the house. In fact one of my biggest anxieties about selling my house was that the dogs would bark when perspective buyers were looking at my house. I have 2 dogs myself and would never leave them outside barking. It's called having inconsiderate neighbors. If it were me it would be an immediate deal breaker.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:50 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,572,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitJoce View Post
I lived in a house with 2 barking hounds next door for 9 years and it was one of the things I was most looking forward to getting away from once we sold the house. In fact one of my biggest anxieties about selling my house was that the dogs would bark when perspective buyers were looking at my house. I have 2 dogs myself and would never leave them outside barking. It's called having inconsiderate neighbors. If it were me it would be an immediate deal breaker.
That's what I think as well.

If the neigbors don't have enough self-awareness to keep their dogs quiet, they probably would do all kinds of other stuff that would make you want to write passive-aggressive notes.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:28 PM

419 posts, read 654,770 times
No!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: