U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 10:12 PM

12 posts, read 9,411 times
Default Safe/Unsafe areas in Nashville

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are visiting Nashville next week. This will be our first time to the city. We are staying in the downtown area (Union St). It seems there are many places within walking distance of our hotel. Are there any streets or areas downtown we should avoid at night?

Also, I am a fan of the show Nashville, and wanted to visit some of the film locations. I know they filmed at a couple of houses on Boscobel Street, and I would love to drive by one afternoon. Is this a safe area? Any streets in that area that should be avoided?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 11:02 PM

4,895 posts, read 4,221,013 times
The places I would avoid downtown at night are those that are poorly lit, or have very little activity late at night. The obvious would be to avoid alleys (with the exception of the active area of Printer's Alley between Church and Union).

Which hotel are you staying at? Hotel Indigo? The Sheraton?

Anyways...most of the regular streets should be fine. The most active ones are obviously Broadway and 2nd, where most of the bars and clubs are...aside from that, Church and 5th should be fine. I don't think Union itself would be too bad, but to be honest, I haven't really been up that way at night. If you are staying at Hotel Indigo, you're closer to 2nd anyways...so there should be a bit of late night traffic. With the Sheraton, I would consider walking down Church to 6th, then up to Union.

North of Union is primarily state offices...so it's usually dead as a doornail at night (unless there is an event at TPAC). It might not be 'dangerous'...but to be honest, I find deserted streets to be a bit unnerving myself.

This also depends on how late you are talking. Up until, say, 11, I wouldn't have worries pretty much anywhere. There are a lot of events downtown, so it's usually pretty busy until after the big shows let out. The late night crowd is a bit more confined to the bar zones on Broad and 2nd until closing time (3 am). Just stick with where the people are.

Boscobel is in East Nashville. I'm not sure where exactly the houses in question are...I'm guessing Edgefield or East End. I wouldn't worry about driving through the area in the daytime at all. There are a number of housing projects on Shelby as you approach the area...but unless you're planning to do your sightseeing there, it's really not dangerous to drive past. Edgefield itself (where the historic homes are) is really beautiful. I would say it's safe enough to walk around there in the daytime, but that's up to you how you feel about walking around in an unfamiliar neighborhood.

Boscobel is OK...but I think there are more interesting houses on Fatherland and Russell Sts (which run parallel to the north).

While you're over there...drive up to 5 Points (where the 5 Spot is) and down Woodland St (headed east) into Lockeland Springs. Nice little neighborhood.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:15 PM

Thanks for the tips! I'll add those other areas to our list. We'll be staying at Hotel Indigo. I'm the night owl, but he is more of a morning person. I'm guessing we probably won't be out much past midnight.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak279 View Post
Thanks for the tips! I'll add those other areas to our list. We'll be staying at Hotel Indigo. I'm the night owl, but he is more of a morning person. I'm guessing we probably won't be out much past midnight.
You should be fine, then. Just use common sense precautions. I've been downtown many times late at night and never had issues...but that's not to say that there aren't issues there. Just be aware of your surroundings. There should be a decent amount of foot traffic in that area, even late.

Btw -- you might try Puckett's @ 5th and Church for food within walking distance (about 2.5 blocks). I'd honestly skip most of the stuff on Broad/2nd as far as eating options.

Puckett's Grocery and Restaurant

Old 06-28-2013, 11:45 PM

Thanks. We're also wanting to go out to eat at a nice restaurant one night. Any suggestions?

Old 06-29-2013, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak279 View Post
Thanks. We're also wanting to go out to eat at a nice restaurant one night. Any suggestions?
Any particular type of food you prefer?

Old 06-29-2013, 05:56 AM

378 posts, read 535,924 times
Welcome to Nashville tak279. Deacon and Scarlett's houses are next to each other on Boscobel in Edgefield. I live 2 streets over on Russell. As Nashvols was saying...there are some housing projects close by....but you are fine walking around during the day and you are fine driving around at pretty much any time. Trust me, I take full advantage of my neighborhood as far as walking and biking. I don't know if you are going to be around on the 4th...but the Hot Chicken festival is that day in East Park....that would be a fun thing to check out and then walk around to some of the filming spots. Some of the spots used for filming in the neighborhood are: the 2 houses in the 600 block of Boscobel. The blue one in the 800 block of Russell (Coleman's house). They also film at the 5 Spot up at 5 Points and a few times at the Lipstick Lounge at 14th and Woodland.

Have fun exploring

Old 06-29-2013, 05:58 AM

2,460 posts, read 1,944,204 times
Deacon's house is at 619 Boscobel. It's just after the curve, on the left I believe, when you turn onto it from Shelby, before 7th street. Scarlett's house is next door. There is a Grayline tour on Sundays that will take you to all the haunts. You could always follow the bus around!

ABC's Nashville

There's also a very extensive thread on the show here:

ABC Picks Up Nashville TV Series

If you get the chance to get out to Cheekwood Botanical Gardens, there's a wonderful exhibit called LIGHT - on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday nights only. Worth seeing - very unique!

LIGHT: Bruce Munro at Cheekwood :: Cheekwood Botanical Garden & Museum of Art, Nashville, TN

I had friends from Cincinnati down a few weeks back. They stayed downtown for 3 nights and only used their car once, to go to the Bluebird. Have a great visit!

Old 06-29-2013, 06:16 AM

141 posts, read 118,201 times
I think Merchant's is a nice place to grab dinner. I'd suggest looking at the Nashville Original's website. Google it--they have Nashville-only restaurants listed. Surely you'd be able to find something you are hungry for on that list -- and it will not be a chain restaurant that you could find in any other major city.

Have a great visit here! Lots to see/do!

Old 06-29-2013, 07:34 AM

807 posts, read 426,930 times
Merchants is good but there's a wait unless you have reservations. There is a good new Brasilian restaurant on 2nd. There's a new bar/restaurant, Pub5, right across from Bridgestone. Their food was good. The Mexican restaurant on the corner of 2nd/Commerce (right where the red bikes are parked) is decent. Going to SoBro you have The Southern, Etch, Solo Mio (just OK). So one wouldn't starve downtown, but a car and going to the Gulch, 5 Points or 12 South gets you a lot more options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: