Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 12:11 PM

23 posts, read 32,304 times

Advertisements

My name is Phil and I am from New Haven Connecticut looking to relocate to Nashville. I am 27 years old single male. I am in Automobile sales make around 50,000 a year. I really want to find a place with a great nightlife, great job opportunity's and friendly down to earth people. I have read and heard amazing things about Nashville and here are my questions.

1.How much is the cost of living for a studio apartment on or near towntown? I most likely can afford no more than 1000 a month. I would like to live downtown. Where is the street that has the best nightlife?

2. How is Nashvilles Job market compared to lets say Austin or Denver. I am in Auto sales but also have a bachelors degree in Marketing, so the sales and marketing fields.

3. Being single and 27 is the nightlife as great as everyone says it is, and are the women down to earth and friendly.

4. Are the summers really that bad? I live in Ct and we had temps in the range of 94-97 and it was hot but tolerable.

5. I also am looking into Denver and Austin as options, any comparisons?

Thank you very much in advance for advice..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 11:17 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
Well, Phil, it's really hard for us to tell what your social life will be in Nashville. Or really what your job prospects are. I don't think Nashville is harder or easier as far as a job search goes, than Austin or Denver. Really depends on YOUR job skills and people skills. I will tell you that, as expected, the car dealerships are primarily in the burbs. But I guess you knew that? Nashville is very popular at the moment, kinda going through a growth spurt. Meaning rents are going up, a lot of people moving here. You could probably find a studio in the general "downtown" area for $1000. The entertainment district "downtown" is not large - it's along Broadway and then fanning out a few blocks. Honky Tonks, music, bars, restaurants, museums.

I moved from CT 3 years ago and I'd say it CAN get warmer here with temps in the 100's in August. So far, THIS year has been lovely with no extreme temperatures (so much for global warming). The thing about CT is that you can go 'down the shore' where it can be a bit cooler. But the OTHER thing about CT is our electric bill in the winter (electric heat) was 4 times what it is down here. Winters are milder with very little snow. Leaves change color but not as vibrant. Spring comes early.

There are a few posts about people comparing Nashville to Austin - you can "Search this forum" to find them. Both have a lot of music. Nashville is greener, and to ME feels a bit 'tighter' - not as sprawling as Austin but that's probably due to topography (we have hills). Denver also is a 'bowl' and not as green. If you were moving due to greenery, Nashville would win hands down.

Why are YOU considering Nashville? Are you looking for the best party town? Pro sports? Best salary and career prospects? What is your criteria to move besides "down to earth and friendly women"?

Old 07-25-2013, 11:20 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,927 times
1. Most newer apts near downtown/Gulch are 1bd and start at $1,100 and up. Prices go down as you get further away.

2. Marketing people are a dime a dozen. Finding workers is easy. Finding decent workers is what we are having problems doing.

3. Lots of nightlife. Drinking seems to be a big thing here.

4. This summer hasn't been bad. Last summer was HOTHOTHOT. Personally, I hate all the storms. I moved from California where there is little to no rain from June-September. That I like.

5. If I had the choice of Nashville, Denver or Austin, I'd pick Denver OR Austin over Nashville. Probably Austin first. But that's me (and it wasn't my choice to move here).

Old 07-25-2013, 11:33 AM

914 posts, read 1,983,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Well, Phil, it's really hard for us to tell what your social life will be in Nashville. Or really what your job prospects are. I don't think Nashville is harder or easier as far as a job search goes, than Austin or Denver. Really depends on YOUR job skills and people skills. I will tell you that, as expected, the car dealerships are primarily in the burbs. But I guess you knew that? Nashville is very popular at the moment, kinda going through a growth spurt. Meaning rents are going up, a lot of people moving here. You could probably find a studio in the general "downtown" area for $1000. The entertainment district "downtown" is not large - it's along Broadway and then fanning out a few blocks. Honky Tonks, music, bars, restaurants, museums.

I moved from CT 3 years ago and I'd say it CAN get warmer here with temps in the 100's in August. So far, THIS year has been lovely with no extreme temperatures (so much for global warming). The thing about CT is that you can go 'down the shore' where it can be a bit cooler. But the OTHER thing about CT is our electric bill in the winter (electric heat) was 4 times what it is down here. Winters are milder with very little snow. Leaves change color but not as vibrant. Spring comes early.

There are a few posts about people comparing Nashville to Austin - you can "Search this forum" to find them. Both have a lot of music. Nashville is greener, and to ME feels a bit 'tighter' - not as sprawling as Austin but that's probably due to topography (we have hills). Denver also is a 'bowl' and not as green. If you were moving due to greenery, Nashville would win hands down.

Why are YOU considering Nashville? Are you looking for the best party town? Pro sports? Best salary and career prospects? What is your criteria to move besides "down to earth and friendly women"?
For a studio you can definitely find something for $1000/month in or near downtown. You could also probably get a true 1BR somewhere. If you were to up that price a little you could get into one of the more luxurious buildings. There are several under construction that will come online in the next 1-2 years as well.

There is a large entertainment district downtown on Lower Broadway and 2nd Ave. I would venture to guess there are 30-40 bars just in that area (that's a guess and could be higher or lower). There are also a half dozen music venues along the northern end of Music Row and several in Midtown. As far as what that scene is like, I don't have much to offer.

There are car dealerships in Nashville. There are Toyota, GM, Hyundai, and Subaru (I think) just outside downtown along West End Ave. There's also Honda and Nissan dealerships in Metro Center which is only a couple miles north of downtown, and there's a Lexus dealership under construction there. We also have a Jaguar/Audi/Porsche dealership on 8th Ave S which is 3 or 4 miles outside of downtown. South of downtown along Murfreesboro Pike (I think) there's a Chevy dealer and a Volvo dealer. Lastly, there's another Nissan dealer on Thompson Lane which is 5 miles or so from downtown. I'm sure I'm missing some of the in-town dealers as well. Of course there's all sorts of dealer in the suburbs.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:48 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
In one block off International Drive at Bakers Bridge rd. in Cool Springs are the following auto dealerships:

Maserati
Infiniti
Bentley
Hyundai
Nissan
Subaru
Mazda

Just across I-65 is a brand new Porsche dealership.

Also a lot of dealerships on Highway 96 in Franklin.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:54 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,047 times
Beaman is a very large dealership in the downtown area. So is Nelson Mazda and Carl Black Chevy.

No need to go to the burbs to sell cars. We've got em in the city too.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:06 AM

914 posts, read 1,983,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
In one block off International Drive at Bakers Bridge rd. in Cool Springs are the following auto dealerships:

Maserati
Infiniti
Bentley
Hyundai
Nissan
Subaru
Mazda

Just across I-65 is a brand new Porsche dealership.

Also a lot of dealerships on Highway 96 in Franklin.
Rolls Royce also has a dealership there, and Mercedes Benz is less than a quarter of a mile from there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville