U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2013, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Franklin, TN
2,716 posts, read 2,424,686 times
Reputation: 1354

Advertisements

Dave . . . it's not even 50/50 in my neighborhood. I still think you should at least check out Atlanta while you are here. The MegaBus can get you there for $1 if you plan far enough in advance. Takes 5 hours. Bus has wifi so you can post on this board while you are traveling!

megabus.com | Now serving over 25 million bus customers in North America

Atlanta has public transport - not as great as the Bay Area but SO much better than Nashville. You might not even need a car.

MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority

Atlanta has the highest concentration of African American millionaires in the country. A lot of Black entertainers and business people call it home. And I know you are thinking Nashville is cheaper than Oakland - the biggest 'bargain' here is if you are buying a house. I'm not sure that rentals here will be all that much cheaper.

i understand you'll probably stay with family here in Nashville, which is a huge plus, but if you're looking for someplace more like Oakland, I'd certainly check out Atlanta. And if you post on the Atlanta board, you might end up "knowing" someone there who might be willing to at least show you around a bit. They don't call it Hotlanta for nothin'!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2013, 04:48 PM
 
472 posts, read 329,513 times
Reputation: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
McFerrin Park is up and coming. Ditto for Cleveland Park. They were primarily Black neighborhoods a decade or so ago, but you're going to see more ethnic and racial diversity there now as they become more gentrified. They are still affordable compared to the trendiest East Nashville neighborhoods east of Ellington Parkway so perhaps you can find a unit in an older home or a duplex in your range.

The crime has improved in both areas, but you still need to be on more alert than in some of the other up and coming urban neighborhoods. I know that the lead singer of the Alabama Shakes was unfortunately robbed at gunpoint earlier this year while hanging out on a friend's front porch in Cleveland Park. Still, these are generally much better areas than they were a decade or more ago.

I would probably skip Bordeaux unless you want something more suburban-feeling.
So Bordeaux is out. Looks like Cleveland Park, Mcferrin Park, Germantown, Salemtown, and Hope Gardens. From my understanding these neighborhoods are gentrifying. Thats cool with me, my neighborhood in South Berkeley was like 50% black, 15% Asian, 15% latino, 20% white lol. As long as the neighborhood has a strong black presence I am not going to show concern. So, assuming all of these places have a strong black presence, let me ask, Which is the hippest area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 05:55 PM
 
105 posts, read 119,747 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
So Bordeaux is out. Looks like Cleveland Park, Mcferrin Park, Germantown, Salemtown, and Hope Gardens. From my understanding these neighborhoods are gentrifying. Thats cool with me, my neighborhood in South Berkeley was like 50% black, 15% Asian, 15% latino, 20% white lol. As long as the neighborhood has a strong black presence I am not going to show concern. So, assuming all of these places have a strong black presence, let me ask, Which is the hippest area?
I would go with Cleveland Park or Mcferrin Park. They are both in East Nashville and that is the hippest area in the city. Definitely the most hipsters in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Music City, USA
5,123 posts, read 5,027,831 times
Reputation: 4715
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
So Bordeaux is out. Looks like Cleveland Park, Mcferrin Park, Germantown, Salemtown, and Hope Gardens. From my understanding these neighborhoods are gentrifying. Thats cool with me, my neighborhood in South Berkeley was like 50% black, 15% Asian, 15% latino, 20% white lol. As long as the neighborhood has a strong black presence I am not going to show concern. So, assuming all of these places have a strong black presence, let me ask, Which is the hippest area?
Hip is generally going to be a matter of perspective...but Germantown/Salemtown are the most popular right now...and they're building like crazy. However...those are the areas with the biggest white presence, too. I'm not suggesting that you wouldn't want to be around white people or anything, but Germantown is an area that is majority white, and the margin seems to be increasing.

I don't want to start any kind of racial debate here, but a lot of the inner city urban areas that are gentrifying are, or were majority black 10-15 years ago. A lot of the blacks that live/lived there are poor. A lot of the residents fixing up houses are white...and the property values rising are forcing out a lot of the lower income residents by either pricing them out of rent, raising property tax values, or making it too sweet of a deal not to sell their houses. This is generally true with gentrification trends in a lot of cities.

That is not to say middle class and upper class blacks and other races/ethnicities aren't moving in as well...but to give you an idea of what is happening...a lot of urban neighborhoods are becoming more diverse in the sense that they are adding white residents, not black residents.

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Here's an informative tool for exploring the demographic makeup of different areas. Zoom in on Davidson County to the point where individual Census tracts pop up. Then at the top left of the screen, select 'view more maps' and then select 'black population.' That way you'll be able to see which neighborhoods have what demographic makeup, as well as the population trends of each racial/ethnic group.

For example, One tract makes up Germantown/Salemtown/Hope Gardens/Historic Buena Vista (it's the one at the top side of the downtown interstate loop - tract 194). As of 2010, it was 58% black, 37% white, 3% Hispanic, 1% Asian, and 1% multiracial. The tract grew by 25.8%. The growth trends show that the black population decreased by 8%, while the white population increased by 168%, Hispanics 45%, Asians 617%, and multiracial 36%.

I'm not going to do the breakdowns for each tract/area you are looking into, but Cleveland Park and McFerrin Park are tracts 118 and 126, due east of tract 194, just across the river.



I know the numbers and the trends...but as far as living in these areas, it's probably best to listen to the advice of those on this board that live in or near them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 10:32 PM
 
472 posts, read 329,513 times
Reputation: 337
I read that and I see what you mean. Good thing is, however, that these areas are almost exclusively black. For example, tract 118 is 82% black, tract 126 is 76% black, and the germantown/salemtown area is 58%. My neighborhood in South Berkeley is 49% black, a far cry from all the above. I did some more research using that map, that heaviest black place in Oakland was 67% black. In other words, I have never been to a place as black as Cleveland and Mcferrin park, or Pretty much all of Northern Nashville lol. Unless you think in the next 5 years or so these neighborhoods are going to be less than 40% black,(which is what is considered pretty black in Berkeley) I don't think ill be worried about the racial demographics of the region. Judging from the map Nashville has a lot more African American areas than Oakland. (Which is weird because after doing some research, I found that Nashville is 28.4% black, while Oakland is 28.0% black). Since Nashville and Oakland are the same proportionally in terms of African American population, I know I will like Nashville. Because no matter what part of Oakland, I always feel comfortable, because blacks are spread to all parts of town. Reading the map it seems like aside from the SouthWest corridor (green hills area), Nashville has African Americans everywhere.Tract 161 in South Nashville North of Berry Hill gained 17% in black population, and lost 9% in white population. Also, the Area of Tom Joy park in East Nashville went from a white area to a black area from 2000 to 2010, as did tract 11002. This suggests to me that the black that are leaving are just simply being pushed by Trinity Lane, so they aren't exactly too far away. Also all of Nashville North over the river got blacker, or lost more whites than blacks. This suggests to me that the revitalization in German/Salem and Hope Gardnes, Buena Vista is just pushing blacks right over the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 10:48 PM
 
Location: Music City, USA
5,123 posts, read 5,027,831 times
Reputation: 4715
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
I read that and I see what you mean. Good thing is, however, that these areas are almost exclusively black. For example, tract 118 is 82% black, tract 126 is 76% black, and the germantown/salemtown area is 58%. My neighborhood in South Berkeley is 49% black, a far cry from all the above. I did some more research using that map, that heaviest black place in Oakland was 67% black. In other words, I have never been to a place as black as Cleveland and Mcferrin park, or Pretty much all of Northern Nashville lol. Unless you think in the next 5 years or so these neighborhoods are going to be less than 40% black,(which is what is considered pretty black in Berkeley) I don't think ill be worried about the racial demographics of the region. Judging from the map Nashville has a lot more African American areas than Oakland. (Which is weird because after doing some research, I found that Nashville is 28.4% black, while Oakland is 28.0% black). Since Nashville and Oakland are the same proportionally in terms of African American population, I know I will like Nashville. Because no matter what part of Oakland, I always feel comfortable, because blacks are spread to all parts of town. Reading the map it seems like aside from the SouthWest corridor (green hills area), Nashville has African Americans everywhere.Tract 161 in South Nashville North of Berry Hill gained 17% in black population, and lost 9% in white population. Also, the Area of Tom Joy park in East Nashville went from a white area to a black area from 2000 to 2010, as did tract 11002. This suggests to me that the black that are leaving are just simply being pushed by Trinity Lane, so they aren't exactly too far away. Also all of Nashville over the river got blacker, or lost more whites than blacks. This suggests to me that the revitalization in German/Salem and Hope Gardnes, Buena Vista are just migrating North of the river, again, not too far away.
It's not that you should be worried about any of the racial demographics. I just wanted to point out that the demographics of the inner city are changing...in some cases, rapidly. It's not as simple as saying 'whites are moving in, blacks are moving out'...as you pointed out with some other tracts, the reverse is true. It's just a matter of changing trends.

And I don't think that any of the areas are in serious danger of going below 40% black in the next 5 years. But by 2020, I could see tract 194 become majority or plurality white. I don't think Cleveland or McFerrin Park will be even close to 50/50, though.

As for the other demographic trends, the suburban areas of Nashville (Bellevue, Donelson, Hermitage, Madison, Antioch) are generally becoming more racially diverse as well. I think right now the urban trend is fueled by young generation Y (and some X) folks wanting to live in an urban environment, rather than the suburbs they grew up in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 11:22 PM
 
472 posts, read 329,513 times
Reputation: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
It's not that you should be worried about any of the racial demographics. I just wanted to point out that the demographics of the inner city are changing...in some cases, rapidly. It's not as simple as saying 'whites are moving in, blacks are moving out'...as you pointed out with some other tracts, the reverse is true. It's just a matter of changing trends.

And I don't think that any of the areas are in serious danger of going below 40% black in the next 5 years. But by 2020, I could see tract 194 become majority or plurality white. I don't think Cleveland or McFerrin Park will be even close to 50/50, though.

As for the other demographic trends, the suburban areas of Nashville (Bellevue, Donelson, Hermitage, Madison, Antioch) are generally becoming more racially diverse as well. I think right now the urban trend is fueled by young generation Y (and some X) folks wanting to live in an urban environment, rather than the suburbs they grew up in.
Well, as I stated, Nashville seems to have blacks pretty much everywhere but the Green Hills area, and far West Nashville. Tract 126 actually gained in black population by 7%. And apparently, it will be black for a long time. I think I am going to look at Cleveland or Mcferrin park when I come to Nashville next week, not to mention, that is where my family in Nashville lives!

edit: Interesting fact, tract 193 lost only 5% of its black population, but 14% of its white population, making the area "blacker". I Believe tract 193 is East Nashville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 02:20 AM
 
Location: East Nashville/Inglewood
878 posts, read 1,615,995 times
Reputation: 642
Tract 193 includes Cayce Public Housing (a very large public housing community) and some other public housing buildings. It also includes a small part of Edgefield, which is a historic neighborhood and is probably majority white. The area buffering the river is pretty much all warehouse and industrial and is not residential. It also includes the Titans staduim, LP Field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2013, 10:14 PM
 
638 posts, read 788,786 times
Reputation: 329
Antioch is the one area of Nashville/Davidson County, where you will find the largest number of middle class African Americans and African American Culture. Its a diverse area with all races, but still a larger number of blacks and whites, with African Americans representing the area in Metro council as well as on the school board council, and other leadership positions. Several of the larger, more progressive African American churches are in Antioch. Also several African American owned business in Antioch including resturants, salons and barbershops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2013, 06:56 AM
 
Location: Nashville
389 posts, read 607,592 times
Reputation: 341
I agree with Antioch. The majority of my friends and coworkers that are African American live in Antioch. I would describe them all as middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top