Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2013, 02:40 PM

230 posts, read 407,273 times

Advertisements

I'm still in the process of making my next move, and my husband and i are Nashville bound within the next year.

We have a small boat and we both had a thought that we've never seen any boats on the cumberland when we were there? Are there no access points? Do people not boat the Cumberland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 03:25 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,126,151 times
People do boat on the Cumberland. There are any number of boat ramps.

Just an example: Nashville > Parks and Recreation > Water Activities > Boat Ramps

Be sure to also visit Priest and Old Hickory Lake while you're here.

People also canoe and kayak on various rivers and streams in the area.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:33 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,258,832 times
People do boat on the Cumberland, but it is a bit more common for people to boat on Old Hickory Lake (a dammed part of the Cumberland on the northeast side of downtown) where there are more access points and marinas. There are actually locks in place where you can travel from the lake part to the river part. Some people also boat on J Percy Priest Lake (on Stones River)...but there is no way to get from that lake to the Cumberland.

As for access points...there are a few. Shelby Park in East Nashville, both sides of McGavock Pike (as far as I'm aware) where a ferry once crossed the river (Inglewood/Opryland), Lock 2 Park at the top of Pennington Bend (Donelson area, Peeler Park at the bottom of Neely's Bend (Madison area). You can dock downtown (under the Shelby St Bridge), but there is no ramp. The only marina I know of on the river is in West Nashville (off of Basswood).

All that said, I think you would probably rather go boating on the lake. It's more wide open. The river does have periodic barge traffic...and even though the river is plenty wide, you might not find that fun to deal with. There are numerous boat ramps and marinas on both Old Hickory and J Percy Priest Lakes.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:22 PM

230 posts, read 407,273 times
Thanks all! I'm thinking of wild life viewing more than water sports, so I thought I should clarify. We aren't pontoon boaters It looked like you could go a longer way on the Cumberland, is that true?

Thank you!

Old 08-01-2013, 04:47 PM

In additional to whatever personal boating adventures you might come up with, you might enjoy taking the Blue Heron Cruise out of Ashland City for wildlife viewing. Also, once you get settled in here, you might think of taking a road trip to Chattanooga and visiting the Tennessee Aquarium and taking the Tennessee River cruise on that fancy boat of theirs (I haven't been on it yet but sure looks like a lot of fun; it's like a huge speedboat on steroids).

Old 08-01-2013, 05:21 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,258,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller91 View Post
Thanks all! I'm thinking of wild life viewing more than water sports, so I thought I should clarify. We aren't pontoon boaters It looked like you could go a longer way on the Cumberland, is that true?

Thank you!
You can go from dam to dam with no trouble...that is, from just west of Ashland City to just west of Hendersonville/south of Rivergate.

I'm not sure what the procedure is with traveling through the locks, but technically you could take your boat upstream to Kentucky (both Old Hickory and Cordell Hull Lakes have locks) or downstream to the Ohio River, then on to the Gulf of Mexico if you want.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:37 PM

I'm not completely sure what the lock procedure on the river is either. I do know that commercial traffic has priority. It could take a while for a recreational boat to go through a lock if there are barges ahead of it.

As nashvols mentioned, you can go a nice distance without going through a lock. You could put in at one location, then boat to another, have a picnic (there is usually a recreational area around the dams and locks), look at the wildlife on land, then boat back to where you put in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville