Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 03:28 PM

8,076 posts, read 10,035,259 times

Advertisements

I am not sure you can 'compare' Nashville and the Island.

Two completely different worlds.

By way of background, I live in East Tennessee, and moved here from New York...although not directly from the City, where I lived for a time, and worked for 25 years.

Long Island: Oceans, people, attitude, shopping, restaurants, proximity to the arts.

Tennessee: Mountains, wonderful people, no attitudes, libertarian, some shopping, some restaurants, arts, and a dramatically slower and more polite pace of life.

I didn't know a soul here, had lived in Manhattan, NJ, Vermont, Upstate NY, and now TN. From the big end of the decision funnel: no state income tax, large medical community (for diversity), university town (for diversity), outdoors/mountains, transportation, arts, and yes, the feeling of freedom which you get living amongst 'down to earth' people.

It has been delightful. Nashville is a little 'west' for my tastes...further from the Mountains, more in line with the tornado alley, flatter, and less 'New England' for sure. Here in East Tennessee I have everything which I need, and want. The arts, the diversity, the transportation to get anywhere I wish, and the scenery and lifestyle are beautiful. The food is weak, and if you like to shop ( I hate it), you won't be happy. There is PLENTY of wealth here, but if you are looking to play the 'my kid went to a $25,000/year pre-nursery school' game, then you won't be happy. The old guy in the 70's pickup truck next to you could probably buy you from his pocket roll, but he won't ever let you feel uncomfortable, or even know that he is 'wealthy'. There are plenty of intelligent folks with which to discourse, and a few morons, like everywhere. They like guns, and god, but they don't shove it down your throat like in the Carolina's and further south.

To me it is refreshing. My word is my bond; I don't have to check my pockets after every conversation; there aren't 20 people trying to fleece me or sue me at every turn. It is a more pure life style. Couldn't be happier.

I would also say that life here is 'what you make it'. You walk around like an "arrogant New Yorker; something special" and folks will smile at you, and avoid you like the a$$hole you are. You treat people with respect, no matter their 'status' in life, and they will give you the shirt off their back. It is a more polite, caring, and sincere kind of people with whom you can quickly become friends, or quickly impress them that you are a jerk. It is not a prejudicial choice on their part, it is an option and a choice which New Yorker's make when they come here. Some do very well and enjoy it; others not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 11:08 PM

11,597 posts, read 12,633,715 times
Again, the OP is from the East End of Long Island, not NYC, not Manhattan, not eligible to vote in NYC. It's much closer geographically to CT and Rhode Island. Long Island has it's own separate politics and historically Republican territory, although that has been changing in certain areas. The Op's hamlet is more like a New England maritine area with agriculture, fishing, and tourism the primary industries. It's busy with tourists and the celebs living in their 30 million dollar summer homes during the summer. It's very quiet during the winter. There is an Indian reservation a little further away. There are no subways and no expressways. Just a railroad that runs a couple of times a day and a main one-lane road that is very crowded during the summer running through the southfork. It's part of the infamous "Hamptons," area, although not all of the "Hamptons" are the same. The television show, Royal Pains, is set in the Hamptons, although it's not a very realistic portrayal of the area and they do a lot of filming in other parts of Long Island. There are people in this part of the woods who can trace their family roots to the area for the past 250 years and natives speak with an accent closer to the speech of traditional New England. It's not pizza country; it's lobster roll country. I think the OP is right to consider the Governor's Club in Brentwood as part of their search and if they want a little space and quiet, perhaps, the Leipers Fork area. What other areas can be suggested for their possible relocation?

Last edited by Coney; 08-09-2013 at 11:24 PM..

Old 08-10-2013, 07:16 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,754,614 times
I can't tell if the OP has been here before to see The GovClub or if they have only seen it online.

Since the other ex-New Yorker derailed us into his/her political observations, I'm having a hard time separating the two.

Looking back, the OP has not mentioned politics, or any other desires other than the fact that they "live large."

I can't tell if they want more of the same, or something similar, etc.

Need more info, OP.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:56 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,897,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chella View Post
I'm hearing that Nashville and surrounding areas are booming in the real estate market. Husband and I are from NY .. LI and are thinking of possibly relocating. However, NY is extremely different from the south and although, I personally love the south, I wonder if NY'ers really miss NY.. thats usually what I hear when someone moves south.

Just curious. The Nashville realtor says many NY'ers are moving to Nashville

We are interested in the Brentwood area.
you're from long island so brentwood would work...if you lived on Jane street and was an iconoclastic over educated intellectual not so much...

Old 08-13-2013, 09:49 AM

455 posts, read 1,137,589 times
If you like living large (huge house, fancy cars), then yes, the Governors Club or other areas in Brentwood or Franklin would work for you.

One big difference no one else mentioned - the weather. The ocean has a moderating influence on temperature. You will find that TN typically (although not this summer) gets MUCH hotter in the summertime than Long Island. Last summer, we had dozens of days in the mid-to-high 90s, with plenty of days over 100 and I think some record highs in the 108 range.

And even though you're moving South, you're also moving inland. Check out the dip in the jetstream. Sometimes it's actually colder here in the winter than it is in Boston, not to mention NYC. Lows in the 20s and teens are not unusual. The record low temperature for Nashville (registered in the 1980s) is -17 Fahrenheit. Not exactly Miami Beach! ;-)

In the spring, we get torrential downpours. (OK sometimes we get those in August too - http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly...8730/#52708730) And yes, there are tornado risks. We're at the Eastern end of tornado alley. Not quite as risky as living further west in Kansas or Oklahoma or Missouri, but risky enough that we're thinking about building a tornado shelter. (Most homes don't have basements here due to lots of rock close to the surface, so if you want a shelter, you've often got to have one purpose-built above or below ground.)

The closest beach would be in the Florida panhandle (affectionately known as The Redneck Riviera) which is about a 7-hour drive due South.

I'll be curious to hear what you think after you come and visit.

Despite living in East TN, I'd say Ted Bear has good advice in general about being respectful of local differences if you want to be welcomed in the South. That being said, if you live in the newer, more expensive parts of Brentwood or Franklin, odds are that many of your neighbors will be 'expats' from the East Coast or West Coast so you really won't have to worry about fitting in to Southern culture.

It's sort of like Cary, NC (near Raleigh), which we all know is really an acronym for Containment Area for Relocated Yankees ;-)

Old 08-13-2013, 04:13 PM

22 posts, read 38,627 times
From Rochester NY, and we live North of Nashville and love it. I do miss some good pizza. But that is about it. Outside of family that is. We do miss our family. TN is now our home, or So. KY as we are looking to move here again soon. Need a bigger place etc.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:13 PM

722 posts, read 2,097,550 times
I still fail to see the genius of both NY thin crust and Chicago pies despite growing up in the Northeast. I do like a few of the NY pizza pads in town but I still like Jets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville