Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 07:38 PM

200 posts, read 324,510 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm re-locating to Nashville & will be leaving here in NY on Sept. 15th. I have looked on Craigslist, Roommates.com, EasyRoommates.com & Roomster.com for ads. Plus, I Posted My Own Ad on all 4. Tho' I'm having a hard time finding someone w/ my criteria. I'm a Female & I prefer to find another FEMALE Roommate, BUT someone in betw. the ages of 30-99. The most that I can afford to Start out w/ for just Settling in purposes is $500. Just until I get situated then I'm planning to apply for getting my own apart., but for now I need something to start off w/. However, it would be Great & Convenient if I can find a Furnished Room around $400 which would make things a little easier on me like I said until I get settled.

So, Here's what my Ad says:

FEMALE NEEDS A FURNISHED ROOM BY SEPT. 15th.

I Need a FURNISHED ROOM BY SEPT. 15th. My price ranges I'm looking for is from $0 - $500 (I prefer anything UNDER $500). I'm re-locating to Nashville starting in Sept. & am planning to stay for 3 Months. I have financial resources to support myself, tho' I am looking for better opportunities in my field so I'm giving myself 3 Months to find something better. However, b/c of this short term 3 month stay I will NEED to have a FURNISHED ROOM. Depending on finding a better opportunity in my field this could become a permanent stay. Although, I am friendly & sociable I like/enjoy Keeping to myself and I like keeping my space clean. I'm NOT a Party type & am NOT Looking to roommate w/ a Musician who smokes pot, & plays Loud music all night long. My purpose of my stay is very biz & career-oriented. I'm a Professional & am looking to find a Female Professional Roommate & who likes to keep her space clean & drama free. I'm 42 yrs. old and prefer to find a FEMALE Roommate between ages of 35-99.

So, the problem is that (I don't mean to Offend anyone here, but) I see A LOT of MALE Roommates w/ Reasonable prices (around $300 & around $400) & (I don't mean to Offend anyone again, but) most or some of them are College-Aged Students. I'm a Professional & I'm Very Career-Oriented so I need to find someone who's Professional & Responsible like me. I don't want to live w/ someone where I'm put in a situation where I end up taking on Someone Else's Responsibilities as well as mine & I MUCH Rather Not live w/ someone who likes to PARTY Every Day.

& I've noticed that the ones that I do like are ALWAYS looking for People NOW like TODAY or in 2 DAYS. I see that not many people if any don't look for someone way in Advance like Sept. 15th. So, I'm assuming that as it get CLOSER to Sept. 15th Date that I would have better luck??!!

LASTLY, I have responded to a few ADS on Craigslist even tho' they were looking for someone to move in Now, but the ONLY way I could respond to them was through one of those E-Mail search engines like Google or Yahoo. I had responded using Both my Google Account AND Yahoo Account, but it seems like nothing is going thru. I Don't Get ANY Responses so I'm wondering if:

Are my responses going thru?

OR

If these people aren't responding Is it b/c they already found someone?!

So, Could someone tell me Why I'm not getting ANY response or receiving anything back after I Respond to these Rooms for Rent Ads on Craigslist?

Plus, besides those 4 Webs above

Could someone suggest what other resources I can look into?

I'm getting worried that I won't be able to find something in time - tho' Sept. is only 1 month away.

What should I do?

Please HELP!! I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 08:28 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
I'm going to send you a private message. I might know of something that would be almost perfect for you, but I'll have to check with the homeowner.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:38 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
Well, for one, the price you are willing to pay is pretty low AND you are asking a lot . . . you are asking for the homeowner to agree to YOUR lifestyle. It's HER house and she shouldn't have to change her lifestyle to please you, a very temporary renter.

I think you need to tone down your 'ad' . . it reads like you are shouting.

Something like "respectful, quiet, professional female seeks same for short term rental".

I don't think you need to put down musicians. This IS Music City, you know? Also, although I understand that you are coming here to look for work, I guess you are unemployed which will also turn some people off.

Try streamlining your ad and sounding more friendly than demanding. If you respond via email and it doesn't come back, it has gone through.

For such a short term rental, I suspect you WOULD have better luck closer to the date.

Good luck!

Old 08-07-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Well, for one, the price you are willing to pay is pretty low AND you are asking a lot . . . you are asking for the homeowner to agree to YOUR lifestyle. It's HER house and she shouldn't have to change her lifestyle to please you, a very temporary renter.

I think you need to tone down your 'ad' . . it reads like you are shouting.

Something like "respectful, quiet, professional female seeks same for short term rental".

I don't think you need to put down musicians. This IS Music City, you know? Also, although I understand that you are coming here to look for work, I guess you are unemployed which will also turn some people off.

Try streamlining your ad and sounding more friendly than demanding. If you respond via email and it doesn't come back, it has gone through.

For such a short term rental, I suspect you WOULD have better luck closer to the date.

Good luck!
Hi CountryGirl2b,

Thank you for your advice on how to word my Ad. I don't mean to come on strong & I'm NOT putting down Musicians, what I'm trying to say is that I rather NOT live w/ anyone who:

1) SMOKES POT Or Any Other Drugs

2) Not IRRESPONSIBLE in Paying Rent - Always Partying ALL the Time

However, I DO have a Job. I've been working @ "STAPLES" Retail Store. Been working w/ the Co. for 8 YRS. as well as being a PAST PROF. TEACHER teaching in the Parochial School system for 7 YRS. & that's why I Need Short Term to start off. I can get a TRANSFER to "STAPLES" down there (I already called) WHILE I look for a Teaching Job which once I get a Teaching Job then I'll get more $$ to afford an apart. of my own.

But like most people say as soon as you arrive in a place you want to move in you need to start working somewhere INSTANTLY. So, I have A LOT of experience - also a Masters Degree. But, regarding my wording - maybe you have suggestions on how I can express #1 & #2 above. I'm Not trying to INSULT Anyone, just like to live in a Safe (No Drugs) & Secure (Responsible Roommate) Environ. w/ NO DRAMA.

Hope you understand.

Thanks!!

Old 08-08-2013, 01:02 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
I think the only way to get all the things you want in a roommate is to rent a place yourself and be the interviewer not the interviewee. Again, you are asking the person who owns the house or is on the least to keep HER OWN SPACE up to YOUR standards in terms of cleanliness, bill paying, music, lifestyle, quiet hours, music, parties . . . . It's not really your place to rule the roost, as a part time temporary renter.

I'm sure everyone on the planet wishes their lives were 'drama- free' but real life is not.

No drugs = "drug-free"

I'm sorry but I think you have an uphill battle here - hopefully Alleycat will come through for you.

You can add that you are moving due to a job transfer. You don't need to explain that you are trying to look for better opportunities. As a homeowner/apartment lease holder, I would simply prefer that you are employed.

Forgive me, but it kinda sounds like you are bringing your OWN drama . . . . ???

Anyway, best of luck! Truly.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:00 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
Forgive me, but it kinda sounds like you are bringing your OWN drama . . . . ???
This....

I have tons of room and could rent a room (or two) to someone but it's something exactly like this that I don't want to have to deal with.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:41 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,656 times
What area of town do you want to live in?

Old 08-09-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
What area of town do you want to live in?
Artemis, Thanks for responding. Ok, well, just like everyone else I want to be close to the College/Univ. area on West End Ave. I have an idea of some areas that seems very reasonable to get to like Donelson. Like when I stayed in 1 of the hotels on Elm Hill Pike near the airport it took me no time to get to Broadway either going into Downtown OR going to West End Ave. near Vandy. I've also driven on I-65 South to Old Hickory Blvd or Road which seemed quick. Sorry for rambling on, but I would have to say that the area(s) that I'm looking at are areas that would be near Nashville Symphony, Vandy, Nashville State Community College, Global Ed. Ctnr., Metro Nash Arts Commission (Oh, & I'm speaking to someone @ Metro Nash Arts about volunteering @ the ARTOBER Event) & TN State or any other local colleges. HOWEVER, my career advisor is getting me started w/ working thru a Temp-Perm Agency first so by the time I get off the plane on Sun. I'll be already working somewhere that Mon. just to keep the $$ flow going.

So, it also depends on where the Temp-Perm agency sends me. However, I work @ "Staples" up here & being w/ the co. for 8 yrs. I know about how things are runned meaning, I can get a TRANSFER. All my General Mngr. needs to do (& he knows that I'm moving to Nashville) is Call the "Staples" store that is hiring & get me transferred. I did call 2 of them & both said the same - to call in mid Aug. & early Sept. which I'm gonna do. So, w/ all this being said my plan is to work INSTANTANEOUSLY @ "Staples" or "Krogers" if the transfer for some reason doesn't go thru & Temp to Perm somewhere WHILE I'm applying for jobs in the TN Arts Commission or "TPAC" in the Arts-n-Ed. field (I used to be a Classroom Music Teacher for 7 yrs. in the Parochial School system, but always had a passion for working in the Arts-n-Ed. field).

Anyway, sorry for rambling on - thanks for asking.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:07 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
I sent you a private message. I'll put you in contact with someone who might have just what you're looking for (it will be totally between the two of you to discuss it and see if it would work out).

Old 08-10-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I sent you a private message. I'll put you in contact with someone who might have just what you're looking for (it will be totally between the two of you to discuss it and see if it would work out).
AlleyCat,

Thanks!! Yeah, I did get your prvt. message. Can't wait to see if this'll work out. Thanks for going out of your way & for your kindness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville