Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 10:15 AM

3 posts, read 4,134 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all!
I live in Dallas, Tx for 3 years now, but I'm originally from germany. I work in the health care business (research) and everything is going quite well in Dallas, it's just so ridiculously flat!! I really like hiking and running and nature in general. Plus since I reached the 3 year mark I feel stuck in routine at work and would like to look out for new adventures.
Is Nashville worth to try out, coming from Texas? I really like the southern mentality and the people here, I just need some mountains or at least some hills around me.
Thanks for any suggestions and your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 10:37 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
We have lots and lots of hills and lots of trees and some beautiful natural areas either within the Nashville area itself or within a short drive. Nashville is a regional medical center, but some of the health care providers here are going through something of a transition at the moment.

Just do a Google search for "Tennessee State Parks" and "Nashville parks and greenways" and then select Images.

Here's a photo taken at a state park near where I live: http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...by-state-parks

Or: http://wallpapers5.com/images/wallpa...-Tennessee.jpg

You might also look at Chattanooga or Knoxville.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:58 AM

701 posts, read 2,029,942 times
Chattanooga seems better for outdoor activities, but other than that it doesn't have as much to offer as Nashville.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:06 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
Have you visited? If not, I definitely think Nashville is worth a visit. Nashville is pretty, hilly, green and not as hot as Dallas. It's also not as spread out as Dallas. But it's much smaller, so it obviously doesn't have as many amenities.
I like Nashville better than Dallas, but everyone's different, so you will need to come see for yourself.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:09 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat02 View Post
Chattanooga seems better for outdoor activities, but other than that it doesn't have as much to offer as Nashville.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Just a few minutes drive from Nashville, and you're at land between the lakes, and the hills around the cumberland ridge provide a nice hiking challenge without the hastle of the mountains of east Tennessee.

Reminds me of an old friend of mine from Texas though, he said the thing he liked most about Tennessee was the trees. I knew what he was saying, I've been to Dallas several times, flatter then Florida

Old 09-12-2013, 01:35 PM

Thank you all so much for you fast responses!! I will keep all your thoughts in mind to make up my mind It's always good to get some honest opinions and I don't mind a smaller city...
We just moved with our lab in a high rise building and looking out of the window, makes me home sick....missing the alps
Thanks again!

Old 09-12-2013, 01:38 PM

23 posts, read 54,277 times
I live in Dallas and am visiting Nashville this weekend to determine if we should move. A pretty landscape and four seasons sure are enticing, huh? Lol.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:42 PM

I'm planing a trip to Nashville for early next year

Old 09-12-2013, 02:07 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANA2013 View Post
I'm planing a trip to Nashville for early next year
My suggestion, stay at the Opryland hotel and visit the gardens. The lights, I think, are up most of the winter season and are beautiful, can take a horse drawn carriage ride through there. You're a bit further from downtown there, but not to far. You can take a ride on the General Jackson steam boat also, awesome show.

If you aren't bringing the kids, 2nd avenue and Broadway are where the bars and tourist area is.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:18 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
If you're also considering small cities, you might also put Clarksville (my hometown) on your list. It has something of a German community there because it is also home to a large army base, as well as a number of families with German heritage who have lived in the area for decades (not quite like the upper midwest as fair as German immigrants, but more than a few people with a German background). It's less than an hours drive to Nashville; it has fairly large new hospital and a military hospital at Ft. Campbell.

You can find hills and places to walk all around Nashville and Middle Tennessee. You might be able to walk out your front door to them as I can, or you might have to drive a short ways to a park or greenway. Some of these natural area are just pretty, and some are absolutely gorgeous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville