Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 01:22 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times

Advertisements

Probably more of a mix if you rent in a highrise. They probably include water and garbage in the rent. Electricity, gas (if available) would be on you. And of course internet/cable TV. If you rented a house, it would probably all be on you to pay. I find electricity a real bargain here compared to Connecticut. Not sure what rates are like in Toronto. For our 1500 sq ft house, utilities rarely ever top $200 a month and are often much less.

Loved Vancouver. Almost moved to Seattle to live near Vancouver but it's too expensive. I DO like rain, though!

I think when the Canadian dollar was 60 to 70 cents of the US dollar, our prices were similar. $10 CDN would be $6 US. But when the US dollar slumped, none of the businesses in Canada were willing to drop the price of a drink from $10 to $6. Happened in Italy too when they went to the Euro. Everything in Italy pretty much doubled (food, hotel rooms, souvenirs).

Australia was good fun. As big as the States but 1/10th the population. Sunny & bright but a tad xenophobic. OK to come as a tourist, but they don't really like it if you stay too long!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 06:56 AM

9 posts, read 12,564 times
Thanks for all the information Funny, because the main thing stopping me from considering Vancouver is the rain! Yes, they definitely have not lowered drink prices in the downtown core, or much of anything for that matter! Interesting about Australia, ive known quite a few people who moved there but never heard the bit about them not really liking tourists to stay!

Old 09-17-2013, 08:51 AM

I think Nashville is more welcoming than Sydney! At least, the Sydney I encountered. When you think about it, any young person in Australia who wants to 'make it' pretty much would go to Sydney, where there were the most opportunities. Sort of like New York. Melbourne maybe, but Sydney was THE place to go. Add to that young people in New Zealand - they were allowed to work in Australia, too. So there was a lot of competition for jobs and I felt they would rather give work to a local than a Yank. And maybe Canadians had an easier time of it being historically part of the Commonwealth? I met quite a few 'ex pats' who felt the same way, though, and they were not even Americans. But it was quite a few years ago, perhaps things have changed.

Still, I loved my time there!

I loved the harbor, the water, and that's why I was drawn to Vancouver. Isn't Vancouver the Sydney of the north?

Nashville is the Athens of the South. It's all very confusing . . . .

Old 09-17-2013, 12:07 PM

I wonder if the fact that there are so many transplants due to the country music (or music in general) scene has anything to do with it being more welcoming? I would imagine that locals have become used to the constant flow of people moving into Nashville.... I did also read about the influx of companies either stating up or moving offices to Nashville; but I have also read that there has been a huge amount of people moving there...How is the job market?

And yes, I have heard Vancouver is the Sydney of the north...I have not yet been there, am supposed to head out next spring/summer but close friends have been and love it!

Australia does sound fantastic, I am going to have to visit one of these days, a bit too far from my fam to relocate too (Nash is at least only 11 hour drive away)

Old 09-17-2013, 08:54 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
Nashville gets more rain than Vancouver - 1199 mm (47 inches) per year vs 1153 mm (45 inches). However, Vancouver has more rainy days (161) vs Nashville's 118 - the difference is that Nashville has heavier rainstorms / thunderstorms.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:08 PM

"Rainy Days" in Nashville = days that it might rain for 5 minutes or so!

Old 09-18-2013, 02:21 AM

933 posts, read 2,742,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Nashville gets more rain than Vancouver - 1199 mm (47 inches) per year vs 1153 mm (45 inches). However, Vancouver has more rainy days (161) vs Nashville's 118 - the difference is that Nashville has heavier rainstorms / thunderstorms.

The difference is the sun actually comes out here in the wintertime...

Winter in Portlandia

Portlandia - Winter in Portlandia - YouTube

Old 09-19-2013, 01:40 PM

I will gladly trade the horrendous winters out here for a little rain

Old 09-19-2013, 11:03 PM

201 posts, read 320,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Nashville gets much heavier rains than Vancouver. Vancouver tends to be grey and cloudy a lot more than Nashville (or Toronto for that matter).

To the original poster:
Here's what you'll find moving from Toronto to Nashville:

Cost of living is a lot less
Rent will be cheaper but not vastly cheaper like it could be in other Southern American cities
Welcoming community
Slower pace

Green cards aren't easy to come by but a company sponsored visa isn't too bad (especially if they are picking up the tab). Plan for the process to last from 6 to 18 months depending on the speed of the lawyers and the government agent on the other end.

We've been here for 2 years after moving from Calgary and love it.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids78 View Post
Nashville gets much heavier rains than Vancouver. Vancouver tends to be grey and cloudy a lot more than Nashville (or Toronto for that matter).

To the original poster:
Here's what you'll find moving from Toronto to Nashville:

Cost of living is a lot less
Rent will be cheaper but not vastly cheaper like it could be in other Southern American cities
Welcoming community
Slower pace

Green cards aren't easy to come by but a company sponsored visa isn't too bad (especially if they are picking up the tab). Plan for the process to last from 6 to 18 months depending on the speed of the lawyers and the government agent on the other end.

We've been here for 2 years after moving from Calgary and love it.
That is exactly what I loved about in Nashville and part of what is missing in Toronto... i figured the company sponsored work visa would be way to go, it's just finding a company willing to do it that is the problem...i heard the job market is somewhat competitive due to nashvilles "Hot" status right now...

How do you find nashville compared to Calgary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville