U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 01:39 PM

43 posts, read 137,382 times
Default Middle Tennessee - bad allergies?

I have read some about the middle Tennessee area being a bad area for allergies because of the topograpy and all the trees, ragweed, etc. Have you that are locals found that to be true? Some of my kids used to suffer from allergies and we don't want to make a decision that would negatively affect our health. Any input?

Thanks!

Last edited by lovingmy4; 11-16-2007 at 01:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 01:44 PM

1,723 posts, read 3,190,284 times
Yes !!!!

Ragweed season used to get to me when I lived in Northern Illinois, but here its much worse. We don't get a "killing frost" until much later in the year.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:51 PM

1,676 posts, read 2,382,056 times
I've found mine to be better since we moved here... when I lived in Austin I had to get shots in my arse because my throat would close up from the cedar fever... but on the whole i've heard they are worse here because Nashville is basically a bowl

Old 11-16-2007, 03:00 PM

6,300 posts, read 15,488,923 times
Thankfully, I don't have allergies, but, echoing septimus's comment a bit, I hear it both ways. Some people say their allergies are worst here, and some say they're better. I guess it depends on what you're allergic to.

We do have a lot of flowering trees and other plants here.

By the way, one of my lovely pretend daughters is originally from Colorado but lives in Middle Tennessee now. I'd be glad you put you in touch with her if you think that would help.

Last edited by alleycat; 11-16-2007 at 03:24 PM..

Old 11-16-2007, 03:34 PM

317 posts, read 811,693 times
Default allergies

Allergy season can be rough here, but there are plenty of allergist specific doctors here. Luckily I have an allergist friend. I tried to battle out my first season without medicine which was just stupid on my part, so I suffered quite a bit. However, after finally going to the doctor, they were able to help put me out of my misery very quickly with the right medication. And that made the other times a breeze. I hope you are able to still come here. It's a great city!

Old 11-18-2007, 10:41 AM

408 posts, read 814,665 times
Lots of allergens here, and since moving to Nashville I've developed asthma. Several friends have chronic sinus problems, as well.

As someone else posted, the city's in a bowl, and all the pollution just sits, especially when we get temperature inversions.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:15 AM

109 posts, read 278,085 times
I used to have horrible allergies when I lived in Buffalo. It was so bad that no medications would work, I would walk around with a tissue box everywhere for my non-stop runny nose, and somedays I'd have to just lay in bed because the sneezing was just incessant and I was being disruptive to everyone around me. I tried shots for years, it didn't get any better. But here in Nashville, I haven't found myself suffering at all. If I did have any allergies, it was maybe a sniffly day or two, nothing that really bothered or inconvenienced me. It must be related to what elements you are allergic to.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:28 PM

17 posts, read 71,540 times
Hi "sent"

I'm living just across the border to Buffalo. So how do find the winters now? It looks like there is about a 10-15 degree difference in TN form Buffalo. Does that create more of an ice issue, vs snow?

Old 11-20-2007, 05:18 PM

317 posts, read 811,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvaughan11 View Post
Hi "sent"

I'm living just across the border to Buffalo. So how do find the winters now? It looks like there is about a 10-15 degree difference in TN form Buffalo. Does that create more of an ice issue, vs snow?
We don't get too much of either, really. You will see very little snow or ice here in the winter. Certainly you do not have anything to worry about here...except our lack of ability to clear roads effectively on that chance that we do get a rare snow that actually sticks. Oh, you'll get a good laugh out of this one...if snow is even predicted, they'll close schools before it even starts. The grocery stores are rushed in a mad panic and most of the time nothing even happens. So sell those snow blowers and other tools and use it for the move. Haha!

Old 05-02-2012, 09:13 AM

178 posts, read 296,906 times
We moved to Cookeville six months ago and I've been sick 3 times since we've been here. I was never sick in Illinois or Virginia. I think we'll move after I retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: