Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 04:16 PM

11 posts, read 24,227 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm a 30 year single woman moving from the Philly suburbs to Nashville in December. My employer is relocating and I just got the go ahead to transfer! My new office will be close to Brentwood, so I'm leaning towards there, Antioch, or the more northeastern parts of Franklin. Price-wise Antioch is the most affordable and therefore my first pick, but I've read it isn't the safest area. I tend to get home after dark, as late as 10pm at times, so I want to make sure my return home is okay.

Any advice? I'm open to more than than areas I mentioned, but I really need the rent to be at or below $950 a month, and those are the only areas I saw rents in that range online.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 06:16 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,165,144 times
You might look in the area that some people have nicknamed Brentioch; the area half-way between Brentwood and Antioch. I'm not sure what the rental rates are for the area, but it would be cheaper than Brentwood. You would probably want to stay west of Nolensville Pike and closer to Edmondston Pike.

If you're willing to put up with a longer commute you might also look in Bellevue. The distance from Bellevue to Brentwood isn't any more than from Franklin to Brentwood, but you pretty much have to take Old Hickory Blvd. and/or one of the other secondary roads.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:47 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,068,989 times
Try this website to find apartment complexes in your preferred area:

https://www.padmapper.com/

I would look along Old Hickory between Franklin Road (I-65) and Edmondson Pike, as Alleycat suggested. Not sure you'll find something for $950 but close to it.

Here is one:

http://www.estatesatbrentwood.com/

There is a complex in Franklin that I recommend because of the location. I pass it all the time and it looks well kept up. Wouldn't be a bad place to land and it's in your price range (just). You could get up to Brentwood via 65 or make your way over to Franklin Road. Old Hickory can be a nightmare BUT it sounds like you might work odd-ish hours?

Viera Cool Springs - Apartments for Rent in Franklin, TN | About Us

It's south of the Cool Springs mall area, quick drive to downtown Franklin and the Franklin Farmers Market, Whole Foods, etc.

Last edited by CountryGirl2b=; 10-06-2013 at 09:57 PM..

Old 10-07-2013, 04:32 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,530,809 times
What is your price range? I would suggest Bellevue. There are a lot of complexes being built currently in Franklin so that could help. I have a friend that rents a two bedroom at the Alara near the Franklin YMCA and I think her rent is just over $1k/mo

Old 10-09-2013, 07:49 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses. I want to keep my rent under $1000...$950 max. I totally missed that there was a Whole Foods in Franklin. I looked around the one in Nashville, but places were just over $1000. I'll check around the Franklin one.

I never even heard of padmapper, I'll give it a shot now.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:41 PM

192 posts, read 256,955 times
If your job is in Brentwood, rent in Brentwood /Franklin areas near to your job as you can be. Everything is there or near there. Lots of nice affordable apts and shared rental opportunities. You can even rent rooms in mansions and private homes. I would not recommend renting in another area to commute to Brentwood. It's such a prime area with such great services, take advantage of it. The extra driving to an outlying area isn't always worth the drive time or the gas. I don't understand why people here keep recommending that outsiders live long distances from work, that is not a good idea, the stress of constantly driving could really get to you. The issue is, where is the exact location you will be working? Brentwood is a huge area. Live nearby.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:51 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,712,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelhound View Post
I don't understand why people here keep recommending that outsiders live long distances from work, that is not a good idea, the stress of constantly driving could really get to you. The issue is, where is the exact location you will be working? Brentwood is a huge area. Live nearby.
Because everyone wants to live in the same few prime areas, thus the rents are inflated and out of most folks' range.

Believe me, I would prefer EVERYONE live in walking distance to work so they aren't clogging up the roads I'm trying to drive. But it just isn't reality here.

And Brentwood is a "huge" area??

Old 10-12-2013, 08:38 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,290,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Because everyone wants to live in the same few prime areas, thus the rents are inflated and out of most folks' range.

Believe me, I would prefer EVERYONE live in walking distance to work so they aren't clogging up the roads I'm trying to drive. But it just isn't reality here.
Agreed. While I do think there are a lot of suggestions for the same few areas, you bring up a great point about price. I get the feeling sometimes like a lot of the people who come here asking where to live have desires that don't match their price points (wanting to live close to a trendy area for under $800/month, wanting great schools with a budget below $150k. Etc.

It's also impossible to suggest for everyone to live close to work in a place like Nashville, where there is so much sprawl, and a higher degree of separation between residential areas and employment areas than some of our elder cities...though the movement towards mixed use development somewhat addresses that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
And Brentwood is a "huge" area??
Depends on your definition. In terms of city limits, Brentwood covers 42 square miles, which makes it larger than any other suburb of Nashville except for Murfreesboro. That's a larger area than the city of Miami (as well as several others).

Locally speaking, though, talking about "areas" of town, rather than strict city limits, then Brentwood is more or less in line with most other areas in the metro.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:48 PM

192 posts, read 256,955 times
The original poster stated she is from Philadelphia. Their best bet is an upscale apt complex probably on Hickory Blvd, and for 950 she can afford to live almost anywhere. Unless the person has family in the area, if they are from the Northeast, they need to be near or in the inner 440 loop. You're forgetting about the cultural divide and a social life after work. I still suggest you live either right near work or in the Gulch or around Midtown where all the young people gather and socialize after work. If you have no pets and don't smoke you can rent pretty much anywhere and get shares anywhere. There are a couple of new complexes that look fabulous like Eliston place near Vandy and some places around Cool Springs, but they are luxury and no smokers only. There are also some very nice temporary corporate apt around Brentwood and through corporate renting services of you want to try a place for a few months on a short lease.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:27 PM

I decided to pick short work commute over social life, so I'm focusing on the area around Old Hickory/Edmondson Pk over to Bell Rd/I-24 (office is right around that area too.) That's pretty close to the 440 loop, right? Also, I've noticed a lot of the units have washer/dryer connections but no washer/dryer in the unit...is that normal?
Thanks again everyone for the advice! Its been very helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelhound View Post
The original poster stated she is from Philadelphia. Their best bet is an upscale apt complex probably on Hickory Blvd, and for 950 she can afford to live almost anywhere. Unless the person has family in the area, if they are from the Northeast, they need to be near or in the inner 440 loop. You're forgetting about the cultural divide and a social life after work. I still suggest you live either right near work or in the Gulch or around Midtown where all the young people gather and socialize after work. If you have no pets and don't smoke you can rent pretty much anywhere and get shares anywhere. There are a couple of new complexes that look fabulous like Eliston place near Vandy and some places around Cool Springs, but they are luxury and no smokers only. There are also some very nice temporary corporate apt around Brentwood and through corporate renting services of you want to try a place for a few months on a short lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville