Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 08:54 AM

914 posts, read 1,973,859 times

Advertisements

As a proud Kentucky fan I am excited about this. :-) We turn lower broad blue whenever we're in town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 10:09 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,437,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anony-Momma View Post
What's with all the hatin' on Kentucky blue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
As a proud Kentucky fan I am excited about this. :-) We turn lower broad blue whenever we're in town.
In my personal experience, I have encountered more deer-in-the-headlights-oh-I-didn't-know-I-shouldn't-walk-out-in-front-of-oncoming-traffic-I'll-just-go-ahead-and-mosy-on-across-the-street-and-hold-up-traffic-while-another-10-fans-do-the-same-thing from Big Blue-Clad Kentucky fans.

That said, I do appreciate their rabid support and the economic impact it has. Just wish they'd look both ways before crossing, and actually stop and turn back once they realize they're in the road.

In all honestly, the city should consider blocking off Broadway from car traffic from 5th to 1st and maybe 2nd Ave from Broadway to Church during games. It would be a lot safer for everyone. A hassle, but safer.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:16 AM

13,337 posts, read 39,747,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
In all honestly, the city should consider blocking off Broadway from car traffic from 5th to 1st and maybe 2nd Ave from Broadway to Church during games. It would be a lot safer for everyone. A hassle, but safer.
This is an excellent suggestion. I think with the number of new hotel rooms coming online in the area of Bridgestone Arena, and with the massive amount of parking across the river by at LP Field, there will be no need to have Lower Broadway opened to vehicles during these big events at Bridgestone. I think making LB pedestrian-only would enhance the experience of coming to Nashville for the tournaments.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 10-15-2013 at 02:00 PM..

Old 10-15-2013, 10:40 AM

Agreed. Make it like Beale Street on weekend nights and have it be pedestrian only. And I'd even go a step further and suggest they do it for Friday and/or Saturday nights during the summer and maybe even weekend night games with the Predators. I've been down there sometimes when the crowds are busting at the seams on the sidewalks. Again, I know it's a hassle but honestly when I know there's a crowd in town during the day (like the SEC games) or at night, I avoid driving in the area at all costs. I think all it would take is some pre-conditioning to make it not a hassle to shut down traffic.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:59 AM

4,337 posts, read 4,689,909 times
You should try working (and parking) in the AT&T building! At least free parking is a major perk when going out to a concert or the game.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:43 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,273,581 times
I have said this before...I think they should close Lower Broad to regular traffic from 5th to 1st. Cut the roadway down to 4 lanes, with 2 lanes for the BRT, and 2 lanes for taxis and carriages. Increase the sidewalk width and add trees. Have a loading zone on each block (per side) for truck deliveries (daytime) and taxi parking (night).

Cross streets would continue to operate as they currently do, but with the red lights operating more as crosswalks than for traffic. Also: raise the crosswalks on cross streets to where they are even with the sidewalks, creating a "speed hump" effect while traveling through a crowded pedestrian zone.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:49 AM

332 posts, read 341,965 times
Nashvols, are a you an urban planner?

Those ideas are great. I was down there last weekend and traffic is crazy. Even the carriages have jams!

IT city indeed. These Nashville Next planning sessions are so important!

Old 10-15-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
You should try working (and parking) in the AT&T building! At least free parking is a major perk when going out to a concert or the game.
I work in another centrally located building downtown and know exactly what you're talking about. There are 3 things that clear out our building quickly in the afternoon: winter precipitation, CMA Fest, and Monday Night Football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I have said this before...I think they should close Lower Broad to regular traffic from 5th to 1st. Cut the roadway down to 4 lanes, with 2 lanes for the BRT, and 2 lanes for taxis and carriages. Increase the sidewalk width and add trees. Have a loading zone on each block (per side) for truck deliveries (daytime) and taxi parking (night).

Cross streets would continue to operate as they currently do, but with the red lights operating more as crosswalks than for traffic. Also: raise the crosswalks on cross streets to where they are even with the sidewalks, creating a "speed hump" effect while traveling through a crowded pedestrian zone.
When do you kickoff your campaign for Mayor? Count on my vote.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:18 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,273,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdscott View Post
Nashvols, are a you an urban planner?

Those ideas are great. I was down there last weekend and traffic is crazy. Even the carriages have jams!

IT city indeed. These Nashville Next planning sessions are so important!
Amateur urban planner.

More of an enthusiast than anything. I used to draw city maps as a kid. Also loved Sim City.

But hey...if anyone out there is hiring...I'm willing to talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
When do you kickoff your campaign for Mayor? Count on my vote.
If I make my platform "Free Beer Fridays", do you think I can win?

Old 10-15-2013, 02:04 PM

13,337 posts, read 39,747,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post

YES YES YES. I hope someone from the city's planning department is reading this. What you're proposing would make Nashville even more attractive to people wanting to come downtown, basketball tournament or otherwise.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: