Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 11:09 PM

1 posts, read 25,931 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm driving from Knoxville to Nashville tomorrow and realized I will be driving over the mountains. It sounds ridiculous I know, but my phobia of driving on mountain roads is so intense (even if there is a guard rail, and even if it's not that extreme) that I almost canceled the trip, but I really can't. I'll be making the drive with just young kids and prefer not to have a panic attack on the way. Is there any route at all that I could take to avoid driving on mountain roads? I can't imagine there is but I'm hoping. I don't care if it adds time to the trip...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 12:26 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,918,341 times
I have driven mountain roads sense before I had a driver license @13 and I am 63.
Why should an adult have difficulty learning how to deal with mountain roads ?
Allow greater distance for stopping , use the gears not the brakes to slow down hill and use turn outs, to let other cars pass often, and before they reach your bumper.
If some one is behind you tap you brakes to let them know your about to slow down and or pull over, Use your turning signals . make sure their working .
The greater consideration you have for other drivers the better.
If cars bunch up and you in the middle of it ,turn off and let them all pass. don't be in a hurry. don't cut corners .
Learn where you are on the road so that you know how close to the center line your wheels are coming , like a game try not to abuse your brakes and stay focused , don't get into a rhythm making turns never assume them to be consistent.
This kind of driving will make you more a part of the car ,knowing what it can and cannot do ,long as you don't abuse it, it will last a long time.
Use this as a learning experience .

Old 10-25-2013, 01:51 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Why should an adult have difficulty learning how to deal with mountain roads ?
People have phobias about all sorts of things, a fear of heights and/or falling is pretty common.

OP there is a discussion about I-40 where you might possibly find something helpful. I-40 in Tennessee
I don't think there is any way to completely avoid the ridge west of Knoxville but looking at a terrain map it looks like maybe HWY 62 might not be as bad as I-40? I've never taken it so I don't know, hopefully someone might have a better idea about that as a possible route..

Old 10-25-2013, 04:35 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,377 times
I have never thought driving I-40 was that bad. I don't have a phobia and I find I-24 between Nashville and Chattanooga eastbound scary near Monteagle

Old 10-25-2013, 04:45 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
It is very hard to skip mountain roads when one lives in or very near mountains.
I40 isn't bad you just have to take it easy and pull over and take a break if you feel a panic attack coming on.
Could you have someone drive you instead of driving yourself?

Old 10-25-2013, 07:35 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,802,875 times
Not to downplay your fears, but that route is not a "mountain road" by any stretch of the imagination. You won't be much above 2,000' at any point and because it's all interstate, there are no hairpin curves or anything scary at all about the road itself.

It may ease your mind a bit to view this route map and select the Terrain setting. Then use the Street View function (click and drag the yellow figure and plop him down anywhere along the route), and I think you'll see there's nothing to worry about. Drive safely & you'll be just fine!

Old 10-25-2013, 08:22 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,323,943 times
From Knoxville to Nashville, the interstate really isn't too bad. Mostly big hills with some long, sweeping curves. If you have a phobia, just take it when the weather/conditions are good (not rainy or icy, not at night)...the good thing about it is that you can see most of the hills and curves well in front of you, giving you time to prepare. Very few things sneak up on you.

I drove this stretch many times during college, so I know it very well. I don't think there is anything you should be terrified of (in terms of 'mountain driving', this road is pretty tame). Most of the trip will be on gently rolling hills, or a quick up-and-down on the foothills, with a nice pretty flat stretch on top of the plateau (as well as flat stretches leaving Knoxville/entering Nashville).

Here are a few portions that stick out to me as those to give a little more attention:

-around mile marker 350 (Kingston), there's a very short, steep rise over a foothill. It's not something to be afraid of for a car, but be aware of trucks that can't make it over the hill at speed. You can be doing 60-70 mph and all of a sudden find yourself behind a truck doing 35-40. It's only a 1/4 mile or so at most, but just a spot to be aware of.

-between exits 347 and 340 (after the Harriman and Rockwood exit), is a long, relatively straight rise to the top of the ridge. This is not an overly steep grade. Rather gentle, actually. Just be mindful that some traffic will want to take this at the speed limit (or a little above), and some people (perhaps such as yourself), take it a little slower...so right lane/left lane is pretty important. Most trucks will be in the right lane. The only thing you need to prepare for road-wise is a long, sweeping curve at the very top (right-hand curve). It's not sharp, but you can't see it coming until you're right up on it.

-Around mile marker 335-336 (near Ozone) to exit 329 (Crab Orchard) is a curvy stretch that you should be aware of. This is the only area of "mountains" that you actually pass through (the Cumberland Mountains). No significant elevation changes. The turns aren't especially sharp, but you do need to be a bit more aware, because with the mountains (and trees), you can't always see things coming from a distance. There aren't any big drop-offs, though there is a section where the interstate bends around a mountain and the westbound side is probably 50-60' higher than the eastbound side (it's a pretty view, but don't stare). Just stick to the right lane (the "mountain" side). When you hit Crab Orchard, you have a nice long stretch to relax. Stop in Crossville if you want to eat/get gas/relax/collect yourself.

-After Monterey (exit 300), there is a decently steep decline off of the plateau, over the course of about 4 miles. There will be plenty of signs warning you. Honestly, it's not too bad. The curves are very gentle. It's just a steady drop, but not so steady that you wear out your brakes. You can coast for most of it. When you hit flat ground and a left-hand curve, you're done. There's no 'false ending' or anything. On the descent, just remember to be aware of where the trucks are.

-The last stretch you should be aware of is around mile marker 277 to exit 268. This is the drop off the Highland Rim. It's not overly steep (no warning signs for trucks), and not filled with dangerous curves...but the interstate descends through a valley, and there are a few twists and turns. The beginning stretch has a couple of big sweeping curves, but not much elevation change. After exit 273, you start the descent. You can see most of what is in front of you. It feels a little tighter, since both sides of the interstate are close together (this stretch has a retaining wall throughout).

You should be fine. Just be aware of your surroundings, and don't overthink things. Don't be too hard on the brakes. Don't think of this as 'mountain driving'. Think of it as driving through some big hills.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:49 AM

332 posts, read 344,056 times
That was great description of I-40 nashvols. I drive for work every Thursday to Cookeville and back and do the Highland Rim section every time. Exactly as you describe it.

I find the I-40 section to Nashville (or to Knoxville) less "mountain" than the I-24 section to Chattanooga.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:23 PM

256 posts, read 481,966 times
Not to scare the OP, but what is it with the weather at the drop off of the Highland Rim? I have randomly passed though this sections only to have a storm (rainy with wind) "pop up" if clouds or weather is in the area. I guess it's the elevation change maybe? It's just happened to me on more than one occasion.

Also this is a cool map of the region.

Last edited by bigcitymike; 10-30-2013 at 10:40 PM..

Old 07-06-2016, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 19,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarhodes View Post
Hi! I'm driving from Knoxville to Nashville tomorrow and realized I will be driving over the mountains. It sounds ridiculous I know, but my phobia of driving on mountain roads is so intense (even if there is a guard rail, and even if it's not that extreme) that I almost canceled the trip, but I really can't. I'll be making the drive with just young kids and prefer not to have a panic attack on the way. Is there any route at all that I could take to avoid driving on mountain roads? I can't imagine there is but I'm hoping. I don't care if it adds time to the trip...

Did anyone ever find A route that haa a smaller mountain to travel over? I mean .. idk need anyone to tell me the trip is not that bad . I have driven it several times . I am only looking for a smaller mountain other the the one the you have to drive over once you are out of crossville. Please ! thanks I did see HWY 62 was mentioned .. that route I have not driven .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville