Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 5,506 times

Advertisements

Hello all, this is my first post on City-Data! I've been reading posts for the past few months and felt it's time to share my thoughts and ask for some feedback and possible networking. I'm an HR professional with a large health insurance company in Scottsdale, AZ (living in Mesa, AZ) and my husband and I are considering a move to Nashville. We're from Iowa originally and have lived in AZ for 17 years now. The oppressive heat has finally gotten to me and I miss green grass, trees and rain. My husband is a talented musician (classic rock and country) and since the recession, the music scene in Phoenix has dwindled to virtually nothing. In addition, my employer was recently acquired and we just feel it's time to move and have read that Nashville has a growing economy, lots of health care companies and of course the great music scene. I've been researching real estate prices and it appears to be much more affordable than housing in the Phoenix metro area for a comparable 4BR home, plus, we'd like to have some land. Can't really do that in Phoenix unless you want to spend over an hour commuting one way. We don't have kids so I'm not concerned about schools but would like some recommendations on small communities that are safe, affordable and a reasonable commute in to Nashville. I'm not sure where I'll end up working, there are several opportunities I'm pursuing. Any thoughts or recommendations? What will surprise us the most when we get there? Thank you in advance for any feedback shared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 02:08 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,087,408 times
We can have some pretty wicked hot summers, here . . although tomorrow we might get snow flurries! What is your budget for the 4 bedroom home you envision, how much land do you want (2 acres, 10 acres, 20 acres) and what do you consider a tolerable commute? You're right, health care is big here, as is music. Biggest surprise MIGHT be that all sorts of music 'lives' here . . . jazz, rock, classical . . . not just country. But I'm guessing you have done your homework and already know that. It's also VERY green, rolling hills, etc. I don't think we have scorpions . . . .

Old 11-11-2013, 03:22 PM

46 posts, read 91,771 times
We moved here from Tucson close to two years ago. People will mention hot summers but really they are nothing like summer in AZ, especially PHX where the heat makes it hard to breath, lol. Summer in PHX is it's own special hell as you know so well:-). So I don't think you'll have much weather adjustment. Yes, there is winter but it's not too bad, likely more mild than you experienced in Iowa. We've loved actually having weather for a change:-). I'm not sure what will surprise you the most but for us it was the ease of feeling right at home. The adjustment moving here took us about two weeks. We just found everyone very welcoming and helpful. Good luck with your move!!!:-)

Old 11-11-2013, 03:34 PM

83 posts, read 150,396 times
Having lived in both places, the summers in Nashville are shorter and less oppressive. But they are humid rather than a dry, oven-like heat. Nashville definitely has a distinct 4-season climate where you seem to get a full, long spring and fall season and winter stays between December and early March mostly.

It is definitely very green with no shortage of trees, grass, etc. I think you will like it.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,506 times
Thanks for the info. We've lucked out in AZ, no scorpions in our home! So, I've read on some other sites that Antioch is not a good area, high crime and dangerous. My house budget is around $250k and my research shows plenty of good homes in that price range and under for 4BR homes or 3BR with basements. We're able to do our own remodeling if a home needs some work. Primarily, I'm looking for some insight on neighborhoods or small communities. I don't mind a 20 -30 min commute but nothing longer than that. Traffic in Phoenix is horrible. It can take me 45-60 minutes to drive 14 miles home after work.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:47 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,087,408 times
Basements are very hard to come by . . .

Old 11-11-2013, 08:14 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,326,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylboaz View Post
Thanks for the info. We've lucked out in AZ, no scorpions in our home! So, I've read on some other sites that Antioch is not a good area, high crime and dangerous. My house budget is around $250k and my research shows plenty of good homes in that price range and under for 4BR homes or 3BR with basements. We're able to do our own remodeling if a home needs some work. Primarily, I'm looking for some insight on neighborhoods or small communities. I don't mind a 20 -30 min commute but nothing longer than that. Traffic in Phoenix is horrible. It can take me 45-60 minutes to drive 14 miles home after work.
In re: Antioch not being a good area/high crime/dangerous...it's a generalization. Some areas of Antioch are certainly rougher and not desirable at all...but I think the reputation is generally overblown. It's a very diverse area, in terms of people, culture, and what it offers. Personally, the reason I would not suggest Antioch isn't because of safety, but rather the perception has led to stagnation in property values...I do not think it would be a good investment.

Like CG2B said, how much land are you talking about? If you're talking about 1/2 to 1 acre, I think there are some neighborhoods like Crieve Hall and Donelson within Nashville that might fit what you are looking for (especially in terms of distance/commute times). If you are talking about 2 or more acres, I think the best bet for fitting in your price range would be some of the smaller suburbs (that aren't growing at such breakneck speed) on the north side of town, such as Greenbrier, White House, or Joelton (which is a rural area that is technically part of the city of Nashville).

Old 11-12-2013, 07:53 AM

815 posts, read 2,017,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylboaz View Post
I really don't think people have a clear understanding of what is Antioch or where it is in relevance to Nashville. The majority of people who comment negatively about it have never lived, never even been, or think they have been, or have been through one or two parts and base their thoughts about Antioch on little real knowledge on the area and what they hear from other people on this site... It is a suburb of Nashville just like Madison, Hermitage, Goodletsville, Bellevue, Donelson, not just its own little world with problems different than any other area. If you think Antioch is high crime and dangerous, based on what you read on here, you would think the the rest of Nashville is just the most crime ridden city in the nation and awfully dangerous based on crimes in the general Nashville area.
So what I am saying is if you have looked into Antioch and find it to be within your price range, please continue to look into Antioch, It is NOT a high crime area. It is a large area that can be divided into nearly 6 different parts, still a lots of very scenic, rural, undeveloped areas if you want to build, new neighborhoods, and nicely kept established older neighborhoods. Antioch is 5-15 minutes from the airport, depending on what part you are in, 20 minutes from Downtown Nashville, and very conviently located to many parts of the surrounding Nashville area.
If you have a chance to visit Nashville, please come to Antioch and see it for yourself... Nothing on Nolenville Rd., Harding Place, and most of Haywood lane is considered Antioch, howevere often times slumped into it, but its not, so don't get those areas confussed with Antioch.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:43 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Keep out of Antioch for sure. It is crime ridden and full of gangs. The mall and several commercial buildings all closed down. Try nicer similarly priced areas such as Smyrna, Nolensville, and Cane Ridge. They are high growth areas, very close to Nashville and will offer you the most bang for your buck.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:55 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,326,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Keep out of Antioch for sure. It is crime ridden and full of gangs. The mall and several commercial buildings all closed down. Try nicer similarly priced areas such as Smyrna, Nolensville, and Cane Ridge. They are high growth areas, very close to Nashville and will offer you the most bang for your buck.
Just to clear something up: the mall has been sold to a new owner, and has been rebranded as the Global Mall at the Crossings ('Hickory Hollow' was probably just too toxic of a name to overcome from a marketing perspective).

I have yet to go since the 'new' mall opened, but I have heard that currently the offerings are small. However, there is some pretty significant investment from Metro that could change that.

One is a 30,000 sq ft public library branch:
New Southeast Branch Construction - Nashville Public Library

Another is Nashville State opening a branch in the former Dillard's location.

And perhaps the most promising is the new 86,000 sq ft Nashville Predators ice rink and practice facility that is currently under construction:
Hockey Rink Part Of Plan For Global Mall At The Crossings - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

I'm not going to attempt to change people's perceptions of the area, but pointing out that the mall and several commercial buildings have closed, but not mentioning the new development/investment in the area is a little disingenuous. If you were unaware of the happenings with the mall, then I apologize.

As for Smyrna, Nolensville, and Cane Ridge...all three are pretty different.

Smyrna is a pretty large suburb, with a good amount of stand-alone amenities. In my view, it is largely blue collar...solidly middle class. Decent schools. Pretty established community identity. Smyrna is in the interesting spot of not being Antioch or La Vergne, but being more convenient than Murfreesboro or Nolensville.

Nolensville is a small, but rapidly growing town with a mix of 'old' middle class and new upper middle class (Williamson County effect). It's an area where development and property values are starting to explode. I think it will quickly become Brentwood/Franklin Jr. Median household income is already $100,000...!

Cane Ridge is Antioch South. The name has been emphasized because, frankly, people are afraid of being labeled as "Antioch". It is a separate community, but mostly shares the same zip code. I'm not completely sure what to think of Cane Ridge right now...there are a lot of variables, as that is an area with a lot of land to develop. The type of new development there will likely determine the direction of the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville