U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 04:52 PM

920 posts, read 1,672,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExIslander View Post
Well, maybe they don't make GOOD bourbon...

There are rules and standards that define bourbon as distinct from other whiskeys, but "made in Kentucky" is not a legal requirement. But it can't be labeled as if it's from Kentucky if it's not.
I thought that the state of Kentucky somehow had a trade name called bourbon, but if you guys got more on this I would be interested. I have seen how the State of Tennessee has been trying to trademark Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey, somehow.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-25-2015, 12:28 AM

905 posts, read 1,719,771 times
Bourbon does not have to be made in Kentucky, but "Kentucky Straight Bourbon" does. Tennessee whiskey is a bourbon in the sense that it is still distilled in the same manner, but prior to being aged in oak barrels it is filtered through charcoal in something known as the "Lincoln County Process." To me, that makes it a unique product from bourbon.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:16 PM

591 posts, read 1,204,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
Bourbon does not have to be made in Kentucky, but "Kentucky Straight Bourbon" does. Tennessee whiskey is a bourbon in the sense that it is still distilled in the same manner, but prior to being aged in oak barrels it is filtered through charcoal in something known as the "Lincoln County Process." To me, that makes it a unique product from bourbon.
Yep. The truth of the matter is, calling Jack Daniel's "bourbon" is something that both Jack Daniel's and the Kentucky bourbon makers consider an insult. Not that there's a rivalry or anything.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:16 PM

6,883 posts, read 14,739,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExIslander View Post
Yep. The truth of the matter is, calling Jack Daniel's "bourbon" is something that both Jack Daniel's and the Kentucky bourbon makers consider an insult. Not that there's a rivalry or anything.
Jack Daniels is actually FROM Louisville. Well it is owned by a Louisville company anyway.

Listen, Nashville has their thing as the country capital. Louisville is the bourbon capital of the world. By 2018, downtown Louisville alone should have around 7-8 distilleries just in the CBD.

Personally, I am excited about the growth along the I-65 corridor. The axis from Indy to Louisville to Nashville is becoming what the Denver-Boulder corridor is out west, or perhaps the Salt Lake Phoenix corridor.

The region is a great place and Nashville and Louisville are both BOOMING with cranes everywhere and new construction projects announced almost daily! I need to get together a list of all Louisville's development going on. It is not quite up to the Cranewatch list posted by Nashviille Biz Journals, but I am not kidding when I say it is not too far behind, and it is trending in that direction! Exciting times so lets all get along.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:10 PM

6,622 posts, read 11,708,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Exciting times so lets all get along.
That doesn't seem very 'C-D' to me.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:04 AM

7,770 posts, read 5,804,020 times
Quote:
Jack Daniels is actually FROM Louisville. Well it is owned by a Louisville company anyway.

Listen, Nashville has their thing as the country capital. Louisville is the bourbon capital of the world. By 2018, downtown Louisville alone should have around 7-8 distilleries just in the CBD.

Personally, I am excited about the growth along the I-65 corridor. The axis from Indy to Louisville to Nashville is becoming what the Denver-Boulder corridor is out west, or perhaps the Salt Lake Phoenix corridor.

The region is a great place and Nashville and Louisville are both BOOMING with cranes everywhere and new construction projects announced almost daily! I need to get together a list of all Louisville's development going on. It is not quite up to the Cranewatch list posted by Nashviille Biz Journals, but I am not kidding when I say it is not too far behind, and it is trending in that direction! Exciting times so lets all get along.
Louisville is in no way, shape, or form booming like Nashville. However, Louisville is experiencing modest growth and healthy infill that will make it very attractive for residents. I'm also cautious to think that Indianapolis will grow into Louisville and Louisville into Nashville, as there are vast amounts of agricultural land, preservation, terrain issues, and lack of economic growth in more rural areas of those states.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:49 AM

12,558 posts, read 35,071,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Louisville is in no way, shape, or form booming like Nashville. However, Louisville is experiencing modest growth and healthy infill that will make it very attractive for residents. I'm also cautious to think that Indianapolis will grow into Louisville and Louisville into Nashville, as there are vast amounts of agricultural land, preservation, terrain issues, and lack of economic growth in more rural areas of those states.
^^This. In 2014 the Nashville metro area had 14,944 new homes built, the Louisville metro had 4,011. Jefferson County (Louisville) had 2,431 new homes built while Davidson County (Nashville) had 6,413. Since 2010 the Louisville MSA has grown by 33,994 (2.75%) and now has 1,269,702. The Nashville MSA has grown by 121,759 (7.29%) and now has 1,792,649. It's not even close.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-29-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Wrong...Louisville is booming. Not as much as Nashville but it is booming...highrises, construction, apartments, condos, and restaurants announced weekly. Louisville's arts and restaurant scene along with cultural festivals are second to none in this region. What do you honestly know about Louisville? Have you driven it street by street like me? As well as I know the city, I was surprised by the amount of infill and historic rehabs even in BAD areas. Louisville has so many walkable, viable, architecturally unique neighborhoods...this is a vestige of its heritage as the historically second largest city in the south after New Orleans...you will not find the 19th century urban fabric in any southeast city like Louisville except for New Orleans, and on a smaller scale, places like Charleston and Savannah.

Nashville has its own cool vibe and is on probably the biggest boom in the SE, but it lacks the historic fabric to the degree Louisville did; Louisville was historically much larger until the last couple decades. This is not a city vs city pissing match. However, if you think Louisville is not booming, come up here and I will show you, in detail, block by block, what is being built or rehabbed.

My only point is Nashville is the country capital and music city. Louisville is the bourbon capital.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
^^This. In 2014 the Nashville metro area had 14,944 new homes built, the Louisville metro had 4,011. Jefferson County (Louisville) had 2,431 new homes built while Davidson County (Nashville) had 6,413. Since 2010 the Louisville MSA has grown by 33,994 (2.75%) and now has 1,269,702. The Nashville MSA has grown by 121,759 (7.29%) and now has 1,792,649. It's not even close.
That is incorporating sprawl and cookie cutter development. I am talking urban city to urban city. Both cities are doing very well.

Those metro area numbers are bull. Sure, you have 1.8 million but that is in almost twice the land area!
(7,484 sq mi (19,380 km2) for Nashville compared to 4,135.4 sq mi (10,711 km2) for Louisville's MSA with 1.3 million. Louisville is a substantially denser, more compact, user friendly city and metro area.

Nashville's urban city is much smaller than Louisville's as it did not have the historic built environment

Louisville/Jefferson County is SMALLER in geographic area than Nashville/Davidson County but still has substantially more population, even with Nashville's recent growth. The Nashville boosterism here has gotten out of control as they try to bolster themselves away from their peer cities...

In reality, the Louisville-Frankfort-Lexington region along I-64 IS one region and its population is well in excess of 2.1 million. These two areas are not as different as you guys make them out to be.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:28 AM

12,558 posts, read 35,071,429 times
Quote:
That is incorporating sprawl and cookie cutter development. I am talking urban city to urban city. Both cities are doing very well.

Those metro area numbers are bull. Sure, you have 1.8 million but that is in almost twice the land area!
(7,484 sq mi (19,380 km2) for Nashville compared to 4,135.4 sq mi (10,711 km2) for Louisville's MSA with 1.3 million. Louisville is a substantially denser, more compact, user friendly city and metro area.

Nashville's urban city is much smaller than Louisville's as it did not have the historic built environment

Louisville/Jefferson County is SMALLER in geographic area than Nashville/Davidson County but still has substantially more population, even with Nashville's recent growth. The Nashville boosterism here has gotten out of control as they try to bolster themselves away from their peer cities...

In reality, the Louisville-Frankfort-Lexington region along I-64 IS one region and its population is well in excess of 2.1 million. These two areas are not as different as you guys make them out to be.
And yet there were more homes built last year in the Nashville MSA (14,944) than there were in the entire state of Kentucky (9,536). Louisville is a nice enough place but to claim that it's booming like Nashville is simply not true. But kudos to Louisville for having some high-rises under construction.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville