Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 08:09 AM

620 posts, read 1,194,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Is this the only southern place you've visited?
Iv been to Atlanta(Ironic), but the neighborhood I was in wasn't too black, neither the place Memphis-I think East Memphis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 08:34 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,685,303 times
You were in one of the whitest parts of Memphis.

Birmingham, Charlotte, Raleigh and countless smaller towns all have large black areas.

Only Louisville and Lexington are "less black" than Nashville.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:03 AM

4,338 posts, read 4,695,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
I thought it was a given. I had never seen an entirely black neighborhood until I saw North Nashville. There isn't any place as heavily african american dominated in the entire bay area as North Nashville.
Not entirely black. I live here.

Though I guess you should technically define "North Nashville".

Old 11-19-2013, 09:29 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,284,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Not entirely black. I live here.

Though I guess you should technically define "North Nashville".
All of the "directional Nashville's" have fairly ambiguous territories.

If you are talking about the most heavily concentrated black population, then generally running east of The Nations, north of Charlotte, south of the river, and outside of the downtown loop, is 90% black. The more suburban areas north of the river are over 80% black. All or parts of that would be considered North Nashville, depending on who you talk to.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:44 AM

4,338 posts, read 4,695,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
All of the "directional Nashville's" have fairly ambiguous territories.

If you are talking about the most heavily concentrated black population, then generally running east of The Nations, north of Charlotte, south of the river, and outside of the downtown loop, is 90% black. The more suburban areas north of the river are over 80% black. All or parts of that would be considered North Nashville, depending on who you talk to.

Ah, I'm about 1.5 blocks w/in the loop.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:41 PM

55 posts, read 100,361 times
Nashville is one of the most important cities when it comes to the history of R&B and soul music. Numerous R&B hits were cut in Nashville in the 50s and 60s from Brook Benton to James Brown to Carla Thomas to Joe Tex to Joe Simon. Jefferson Street was a center of black music culture in that era. From the 1940s to the 1970s WLAC's nighttime blues programming was heard across the country thanks to their 50,0000 watt signal and was the main way many people in rural parts of the country heard this music.

But I do think Nashville's reputation is being only the country music capital does hurt the hip hop scene. This was a problem for the Nashville rock scene for years. No one would take a Nashville rock band seriously because the perception was there was no rock in Nashville. But in recent years thanks to Jack White, the Black Keys, Kings of Leon, Cage the Elephant, Paramore and many others, Nashville has a thriving rock scene today which some claim is the nation's best.

The same thing could happen with hip hop if one of the local acts broke big.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:01 PM

701 posts, read 2,025,005 times
Quote:
“When I lived in Antioch, they’d bus us down to the projects in Nashville to go to school and everything just started clicking with me with rap music and in life,” Yelawolf said. “I felt the connection, these kids had the same problems that I had at home. And the weed, the dope...”

-Yelawolf

His time in Nashville made him a rapper. And GRITS are Christian rap, but ooh ahh is a song that people who listen to regular rap can listen to.
It offends me that Yelawolf said "down" to Nashville when he lived in Antioch. Shouldn't it be "up"?

Old 11-19-2013, 03:55 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,284,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat02 View Post
It offends me that Yelawolf said "down" to Nashville when he lived in Antioch. Shouldn't it be "up"?
Well, if he's headed downtown, it would be a drop in elevation.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:22 PM

620 posts, read 1,194,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandoncraig View Post
The same thing could happen with hip hop if one of the local acts broke big.
Young Buck broke big, but his careers has been dead for a few years now. Although they say he is working on his comeback right now. He started the G-UNIT South label, and signed Lil Scrappy and BG. But when he broke off from GUnit he renamed it Cashville Records, which currently has the Outlawz(the guys who rapped with 2pac) signed.

Starlito(Previously All Star Cashville Prince) was signed to Cash Money Rocords, but with Lil Wayne in his prime he really didn't get any airplay. He broke off from them and now tours with Don Trip(letter to my son ft Ceelo green).

Old 11-19-2013, 04:55 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,720,763 times
Quote:
I thought it was a given. I had never seen an entirely black neighborhood until I saw North Nashville. There isn't any place as heavily african american dominated in the entire bay area as North Nashville.
Visit Gary, Indiana some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville