Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2013, 05:34 AM

19 posts, read 23,026 times

Advertisements

I have been researching a lot on the web for a 2 bedroom apartment to move into at the beginning of the year in the areas listed. I really don't want to pay more than $500 per person for rent. I will be on a pretty crappy salary until I can find a job that actually utilizes my college degree (wooo recession!)

Not really looking to be in apartments with lots of kids/families (every time I see a playground in the apartment pics I usually cross it off my list). Both my roommate and I are in our early 20s.

Safety isn't really a big deal for me, I'm a firm believer in the second amendment. That being said, I don't want to be in a complex where car break-ins at 4am are common -- currently having that problem where I am now.

The place doesn't have to look top of the line. I've been a contractor for a couple of years and can usually tell how well a place is built and can usually fix random things that break. Just as long as there aren't major issues like roof leaks, flooding, major A/C issues, electrical, water etc. Something functional and clean. If there's something really nice for a good price though, I want to know.

My friend has his job in Brentwood. My job will be at random locations in the downtown Nashville area (valet driving). Something in between would obviously be the best choice, but there isn't really a lot of that showing up in my searches. I am also looking for townhomes or houses to rent, but I don't really know if I should just contact an agent or just go hunting.

The Landings looks good, but really pushing my budget. Also have been considering Keystone Farms. There's a few options I've come across closer to downtown in this price range, but the reviews are not favorable and they look shoddy. I'm sure there's a lot more options outside of the realm of the internet.

What places would you recommend in these areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 05:42 AM

620 posts, read 1,195,058 times
Antioch would be ideal. The apartment complexes can be cheap, and they are in good condition. Your friend will be close to Brentwood. South Nashville in general would work. Crime is higher in apartment complexes, but you should be fine. If you want to live closer to downtown, im sure there are plenty of apartment complexes in inner city North and East Nashville that would also work, I just can't say anything about crime in those areas. Crime obviously tends to be higher in inner city areas than suburbs.

I personally don't know anything specific about any particular complex, just do some research. Maybe others are more familiar with specific apartments. But, it seems like you just want a place where you won't get your stuff messed with. Most apartment complexes in this city aren't too bad.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:22 PM

The number of options are overwhelming. I have actually found a wide variation in apartment listings just going through three apartment websites, not including realtor's websites. I will do some more digging though. Any personal or WOM recommendations would be welcomed.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:21 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,069,606 times
Have you tried Padmapper.com? It's kinda cool . . . not always up to date but it puts apartments on a map so you can see exactly where they are in relation to where you need to go for work.

I had a friend who lived in Antioch with his wife and young daughter. They kept to themselves and never had any problems. Here is where they lived:

Pinnacle Heights Apartments - Home

Their first apartment was kind of worn out, 2nd place they moved a bit better. Price is right - 2 bedroom /2 bath for $879. There are a few complexes up that road (Mt. View Parkway - east of I-24 and South of Bell Road). Alternatively, something along Old Hickory, east of I-65 would be a good location but might be a stretch budget wise. I'll see if I can find anything . . . . .

Old 11-22-2013, 01:32 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,069,606 times
This is near the airport, might also find affordable places there . . .

Luxury Apartments in Nashville TN | Landmark at Glenview Reserve

This might work?

The Arbors of Brentwood apartments 100 Brentwood Place Nashville

Old 11-22-2013, 06:53 PM

933 posts, read 2,735,900 times
I would stay away from any older large apartment complexes in North or East Nashville as they haven't quite came up to speed with the rest of the neighborhoods unfortunately. You might want to rent in what is commonly called "Brentioch" (Antioch, directly east of I65 but closer to the interstate - I think the apts Countrygirl linked to would be in this area). After living here for awhile, getting a feel for the city and meeting people, you will probably want to move to a less suburban location. Although the location is ideal for commuting purposes, I myself would not want to live in Antioch (at least the Bell Road area that has a lot of the apt complexes). Been there done that (it's been awhile though). You can't walk to anything, it can be unsafe (although like others have said, the bad reputation is a bit over blown), and it just doesn't have the destinations that younger professionals desire (like East Nashville, Gulch, Germantown/Salemtown, West End/Hillsboro Village). The Cumberland downtown might be an option. Myself, it would probably get a little loud though being so close to downtown (why the Gulch is so popular now, it's close but just far enough away from the tourist bars/attractions). It might be OK, maybe not, depends on what you like I suppose.

Last edited by yank283; 11-22-2013 at 07:25 PM..

Old 11-22-2013, 09:06 PM

620 posts, read 1,195,058 times
Today I was driving in South Nashville and I got lost. I ended up next to the Bavaria apartments. They looked really nice, so I randomly decided to drive in and get a better view. They looked nice. It is definitely the hood. Probably the worst apartments I have seen in South Nashville besides the JC Napier and Edgehill projects. But, those are projects. Coming from Oakland I really don't feel unsafe anywhere in Nashville so I didn't feel uneasy or anything. I could just tell that they probably brake into cars a lot at Bavaria. And there seemed to be an open air drug market in there. I would not recommend living at Bavaria, just a tip.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:10 PM

933 posts, read 2,735,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post
I would stay away from any older large apartment complexes in North or East Nashville as they haven't quite came up to speed with the rest of the neighborhoods unfortunately. You might want to rent in what is commonly called "Brentioch" (Antioch, directly east of I65 but closer to the interstate - I think the apts Countrygirl linked to would be in this area). After living here for awhile, getting a feel for the city and meeting people, you will probably want to move to a less suburban location. Although the location is ideal for commuting purposes, I myself would not want to live in Antioch (at least the Bell Road area that has a lot of the apt complexes). Been there done that (it's been awhile though). You can't walk to anything, it can be unsafe (although like others have said, the bad reputation is a bit over blown), and it just doesn't have the destinations that younger professionals desire (like East Nashville, Gulch, Germantown/Salemtown, West End/Hillsboro Village). The Cumberland downtown might be an option. Myself, it would probably get a little loud though being so close to downtown (why the Gulch is so popular now, it's close but just far enough away from the tourist bars/attractions). It might be OK, maybe not, depends on what you like I suppose.
Let me amend this post to say, the commute to Brentwood from Antioch proper might not be bad, but the commute to downtown would probably be a bit of a hassle (on I24).

Old 11-23-2013, 07:22 AM

4,338 posts, read 4,699,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post
Gulch, Germantown/Salemtown, West End/Hillsboro Village). The Cumberland downtown might be an option.
None of these are options at $500 a month per person.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
None of these are options at $500 a month per person.
Yeah, unfortunately I won't be able to pay for an apartment in a sought-after area with the salary I'll be making, unless I happen to get lucky and get my real career started shortly after I move there. I will take a look at the options you all have given me and get back to you.

Thanks everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville