Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 12:40 PM

15 posts, read 44,009 times

Advertisements

My fiancé's birthday is at the end of January when it's cold and grey and often wet. He had wanted us to go on a beach vacation sometime this winter but unexpected house expenses (ug, heat pumps!) and general scheduling is not going to let us go on a vacation until the spring or early summer.

So I'm trying to plan a surprise staycation the weekend of his birthday and it's beach themed! I already have a lot of it figured out - from rearranging our living room to put down beach towels and beach chairs, beach theme movies, some ocean-scented candles, fun tropical mix drinks, a stack of magazines, fresh fruit & nuts for snacking and dollar store luau supplies, etc. I figured one night we could go to a seafood restaurant (since I'm not a good cook) but I also thought it would be fun to go to a tiki bar of some sort. I know we have Margaritaville and Shipwreck Cove at the Elm Hill Marina, but are there ANY OTHER bars/restaurants that are tropical/beach/ocean/luau/tiki themed?

(Ever since I visited my bff in Tallahassee and went to this awesome bar called Waterworks that is themed like a 1960s tiki bar WATERWORKS Open Every Night I've been wanting to find something similar here.)

Even if it's not a bar or restaurant. Like if the science center was doing something vaguely tropical-themed, that could work too.

Any ideas are appreciated Thanks everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 01:28 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
I've heard of Barefoot Charlie's in Hendersonville, but I've never been there myself. It's supposed to be fairly good. And there's Calypso Cafe on Elliston Place; the menu is tropical themed, but the interior is just ordinary casual.

You might consider the Sunset Grill, even though it's not beach themed.

There used to be several beach/tropical themed restaurant in town (one on White Bridge, one in MetroCenter), but most of them seemed to have closed.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:06 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,198 times
I was going to recommend Barefoot Charlie's. It's pretty good, definitely a beach shack vibe there. They also have a partial lake view from the back porch if it happens to be warm enough to enjoy it out there...it's Nashville, you never know when you'll get a 65 degree January day but it's possible. Here's their website: Barefoot Charlie's.

I've been there twice and had a mixed experience the first time (think we caught them in an off night) and the second was good. It's a tad pricey, but a pretty cool environment.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:13 PM

68 posts, read 91,798 times
there used to be a place on 21st across from Vandy called Beach Bar, but I believe it has closed recently

Old 12-16-2013, 03:57 PM

369 posts, read 942,159 times
omni hut is a Polynesian themed restaurant in smyrna. no bar.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:21 PM

15 posts, read 44,009 times
Thanks everyone!! These are all great. I remember hearing about Barefoot Charlie's too now that you mention it. Excellent.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:07 PM

933 posts, read 2,741,221 times
Calypso Cafe is a restaurant, probably not what your looking for. Dick's Last Resort (or maybe Joe's Crab Shack) on 2nd Ave has sort of the theme your looking for as well.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:24 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,323,943 times
Omni Hut is a neat old place. It's been in existence for more than 50 years. It survived when a lot of the other tiki places died out.

It scores well in terms of theme, but the restaurant itself is quite dark...so if you're looking to 'escape' the grey of January, don't expect a sunshiny feel here. The place is definitely a blast from the past. Very cool. Food is OK, not exceptional. It's more about the experience. The Pupu platter (appetizer with a fun little 'fire' grill in the middle of it) is a must. The 'main' dinner isn't anything to write home about. No bar, but it is BYOB.

Home Page

Old 12-16-2013, 07:36 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
When I was in college I had a friend who worked at the Omni Hut. He would bring us leftovers (egg rolls and such). I have probably had more food from the Omni than anyone else who has never actually been there.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:22 PM

256 posts, read 481,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Omni Hut is a neat old place. It's been in existence for more than 50 years. It survived when a lot of the other tiki places died out.

It scores well in terms of theme, but the restaurant itself is quite dark...so if you're looking to 'escape' the grey of January, don't expect a sunshiny feel here. The place is definitely a blast from the past. Very cool. Food is OK, not exceptional. It's more about the experience. The Pupu platter (appetizer with a fun little 'fire' grill in the middle of it) is a must. The 'main' dinner isn't anything to write home about. No bar, but it is BYOB.

Home Page
I love the Omni Hut, and recommend the trip out. The ambiance and the decorations are a blast from the past.

For full on Tiki, there's tradervicsatl.com in the ATL. A bit of a drive though. You can also hit up the Ikea in ATL too. Ikea is always worth a walk though at the very least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville