Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 02:38 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,087,991 times

Advertisements

I think this is a different Yoda . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 02:40 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
I think this is a different Yoda . . .

Too bad he's not Obi Wan. He could just wave his hand and say, "This is not the fence you are looking for!"

Old 01-06-2014, 06:19 PM

22 posts, read 234,341 times
I'll try to phrase the question in another way and I apologize for any attitude that came across in the previous posts.

Answer these two questions (in your head not on here):
1. If a fence is directly on the property line such that the fence crossed on both sides of the line, is that fence on the property line?
2. If the fence is one centimeter from the property line, is that fence on the property line?

You answered yes to both questions right? Now lets take a stab closer to my original question...
3. If the fence is three inches from the property line, is that fence on the property line?

There is no "distance" that you can fill in there to get a correct answer. The distance from the property line to be considered "still on the property line" is determined at random by a city official! That is the city's answer to my original post. Three inches can be considered on the property line and three inches can be considered not on the property line.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:50 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,087,991 times
I guess i can understand that there needs to be some leeway . . . such as when the property lane goes through a stream or there are some old growth trees planted right on the property line.

So, we've established that there is no exact unit of measurement that determines if a fence is or is not along a property line.

What IS your concern? Is there a fence you want to take down? Or you want to build a fence yourself?

Old 01-06-2014, 08:50 PM

22 posts, read 234,341 times
I don't want to maintain or be responsible for a fence that may be on the property line. Before I spend money for a survey I thought I would do my due diligence and find out what on the property line means....which we now know can have some flexibility. You can take down a fence on the property line? It seems like two owners would have to agree to that.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,653 times
Default My recommendation

Just my 2 cents - I do work for an Atlanta fence company ([url=http://www.accentfence.net]| Atlanta Fence Company | Accent Fence[/url]) - I always recommend 6 inches from property line. That way, not only is the fence on your property, but so is any disrupted earth as well as the cement around the posts. However, it never hurts to talk with the neighbor and come to an agreement.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Again check with county if no city for code on this. They likely will print you a copy out .It differs in place to place and some areas have no such codes. Then check states laws as many have old farm laws that deal with it to not have a surprise.The county if available will go by any state laws in writing the code.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,270 times
does a neighbour have to keep there building 25 ft from another neighbors property line

Old 11-01-2014, 08:30 AM

116 posts, read 160,163 times
I just have to ask - what is the big deal about the fence? I mean, if you don't want to maintain it is there a problem with letting your neighbor come on your property to weedwack around it or something? Unless its like you have 20 sq ft of backyard I don't see how in the heck this is even a big deal. I couldn't care less if my neighbor came on my land to maintain their fence and I would HOPE it was vice versa too - afterall they're your NEIGHBOR.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,079 times
TN law also states that if you disagree with the fence being on the property line, you can give the one putting the fence up 6 mos. to take it up, then you, by TN law, can remove the fence off your property line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: