Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 03:30 PM

50 posts, read 66,639 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate to Nashville from Memphis. I haven't lived in Nashville since I was a student at TSU. I now have a advanced high school daughter and need to find out what is the best school for her to attend. She is on an optional transfer here in Memphis due to a very high GPA and is able to attend the school of her choice. Any suggestions on which schools are academically the best? She will be in the 10th grade. Please advise. All advice is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 03:38 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Hume-Fogg. It's an academic magnet school.

US News & World Report ranked it one of the best high schools in the country.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Hume-Fogg. It's an academic magnet school.

US News & World Report ranked it one of the best high schools in the country.

Thanks. I will look into this school.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:47 PM

I'm assuming you're only interested in public schools. There are any number of good private schools.

Are you familiar with the magnet school concept? Your daughter's interests and future plans could play a part in which would be the better school for her.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I'm assuming you're only interested in public schools. There are any number of good private schools.

Are you familiar with the magnet school concept? Your daughter's interests and future plans could play a part in which would be the better school for her.

I'm not familiar with Magnet schools. I wish she was interested in the arts but she is just a bookworm.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:59 PM

There is an arts magnet school (and, I think, a performing arts magnet, but I'm not sure about that). Hume-Fogg would definitely be a top choice for a bookworm. Something like 99.95% of their students go on to college.

You might visit the Metro Public Schools website to learn more about the magnet school concept. I could explain it, but they probably do a better job.

I'm guessing that Hillwood and Hillsboro would be next in line for top-ranked public high schools in Nashville. For music, McGavock magnet is well thought of, I think (there are varying opinions about McGavock).

Old 01-03-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
There is an arts magnet school (and, I think, a performing arts magnet, but I'm not sure about that). Hume-Fogg would definitely be a top choice for a bookworm. Something like 99.95% of their students go on to college.

You might visit the Metro Public Schools website to learn more about the magnet school concept. I could explain it, but they probably do a better job.

I'm guessing that Hillwood and Hillsboro would be next in line for top-ranked public high schools in Nashville. For music, McGavock magnet is well thought of, I think (there are varying opinions about McGavock).

Thanks. This is great info. I will look into these schools.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:14 PM

By the way, no matter what high school your daughter ends up going to, there are some arts things around that are pretty nice, such as the Cheekwood summer camp/classes for kids and the arts classes at Sarratt (Vanderbilt) and the W.O. Smith Music School (almost free, and one of the Nashville's hidden gems). Your daughter might find one of these enjoyable as an extra activity.

I saw a Tennessee Crossroad (PBS) program the other day about Sarratt. One of the people taking an arts class was a medical student who used the arts classes at Sarratt to explore a different side of herself.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
By the way, no matter what high school your daughter ends up going to, there are some arts things around that are pretty nice, such as the Cheekwood summer camp/classes for kids and the arts classes at Sarratt (Vanderbilt) and the W.O. Smith Music School (almost free, and one of the Nashville's hidden gems). Your daughter might find one of these enjoyable as an extra activity.

I saw a Tennessee Crossroad (PBS) program the other day about Sarratt. One of the people taking an arts class was a medical student who used the arts classes at Sarratt to explore a different side of herself.

WOW!!! These are great ideas!! Thanks so much. I will look into things the city has to offer such as these programs you mentioned. You really are a great help.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:29 PM

I'm glad to help but I don't have much first-hand experience with the schools. I'm mostly going by general reputation and what friends who have children in the public schools tell me.

Your daughter sounds like a very nice young lady. I hope she enjoys the move to Nashville.

The Frist Center for the Visual Arts also has some hands-on things for kids, but mostly for younger kids, I think. They do occasionally have a really nice exhibit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville