Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 12:04 PM

584 posts, read 1,136,376 times

Advertisements

I haven't gone all the way through the 50, but I see Nashville twice so far:

Southern Foods: Meats | Garden and Gun

Southern Sides | Garden and Gun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 01:23 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times
I love Garden and Gun. Great magazine about southern culture. There are quite a few articles related to Nashville/Middle TN that I've seen over the years. Last month they had an blurb in an article with Pat Martin of Martin's BBQ in Nolensville. Even printed his Alabama White Sauce recipe, which was cool of him to share.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:23 PM

933 posts, read 2,742,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I love Garden and Gun. Great magazine about southern culture. There are quite a few articles related to Nashville/Middle TN that I've seen over the years. Last month they had an blurb in an article with Pat Martin of Martin's BBQ in Nolensville. Even printed his Alabama White Sauce recipe, which was cool of him to share.

I've been wanting to try Martin's, I've heard great things. I can attest to the house made Belly Ham Pizza at City House mentioned in the list. One of my favorites.

The great thing about Garden & Gun is it fills a cultural niche that isn't filled very much. It appeals to a certain demographic that exists but is not heard from much outside the confines of the South unfortunately. The educated Southern progressive (and by progressive I don't necessarily mean liberal). If you like Garden & Gun magazine, check out Jason Isbell's new release "Southeastern" (or even if you don't). It's pretty incredible.

Last edited by yank283; 01-22-2014 at 06:51 PM..

Old 01-23-2014, 07:07 AM

You nailed the demographic. It's a magazine for those who appreciate southern food, higher culture, and literature. There's often letters to the editor from people who remark "I've never hunted and have no interest in doing so, but loved the article about the dove hunt..." The writing is top-knotch in that magazine too. Maybe as good as the belly ham pizza with egg at City House.

Jason Isbell's Southeastern is amazing. I listened to it for at least 2 solid weeks in the car on my commute without changing it. He was on last week's Austin City Limits too. I'm pretty certain he was interviewed for G&G in the last few months too. That was before I got my subscription though.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:40 PM

593 posts, read 1,355,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
You should read this one by Wright Thompson, chronicling the Fatback Collective's attempt to win Memphis in May. Great stuff.

Memphis in May: Pork-a-palooza | Garden and Gun

Old 01-24-2014, 07:09 AM

I have read that one and it was actually the article I was thinking about when I said the writing was top-knotch! Wright Thompson is one of the best essayists out there. I'm mostly familiar with his work on ESPN...here are a few of my favorite pieces:

Drinking the last bottle of Jim Beam
Holy Ground - about his father and thoughts at the Masters
Remembering Elaine's: The Last Will & Testament of a Great Saloon

Old 01-26-2014, 11:22 AM

9 posts, read 14,889 times
Default Great mag

One time I was strolling through an open house with a realtor in San Antonio and saw this out on homeowners coffee table. The title is what initially grabbed my attention. I flipped through it and read portions of articles while rest of fam and our agent viewed the house. I thought, "Hmm...great stuff. Very interesting. I'll have to remember that name of this." Well, I didn't remember the name and I SERIOUSLY racked my brain for about 3 months trying to recall the name of the magazine. Finally I stumbled upon it, FlipBoarded it, yada yada yada-now I live in Nashville.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:28 PM

263 posts, read 614,218 times
Just as an FYI -- The Oxford American is another great Southern magazine that frequently features Nashville-related stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville