Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 09:36 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times

Advertisements

We moved here from Michigan (Metro Detroit) 2.5 years ago for my spouse's job. Love Nashville, love Tennessee, love the south. I'm very content here, glad we came, and I would like to be able to stay. But, then again, there's the Nashville area job market.

Admittedly, I am in a field that has been greatly hit by the economy, and I KNEW that it wasn't going to be easy to find a job in Nashville (I'm a librarian who has worked in both academic and public libraries). Still, I didn't think that I'd still be looking for a permanent position more than 2 years later. For the first year, I was open-minded and was willing to work at anything library/education/public service related until I could get a position in a library. The only job I was offered (other than minimum-wage positions at bookstores) was an assistant position at a community college library that paid $10/hour and required working 4 nights a week. With 3 kids, I had to turn that offer down (though I would have accepted it IF the salary had been decent).

For one academic year, I did work as a writing tutor at a local community college. I enjoyed that, but it was part-time and dependent on the school's schedule (6 weeks off over the holidays = no pay for 6 weeks). And again, the salary was not commensurate with experience or how hard we tutors worked.

I am currently working a contract position at an area public library and have been applying for permanent positions when they become available (rarely). The problem is that the market is so small here, that the competition for vacancies is fierce. I recently interviewed for an entry level position, which I would have been thrilled to get (though I have more than 10 years of experience), but I was not the successful candidate.

So, I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences if they happened to move to the Nashville area without a job. Again, I know my experience is skewed because my field of work is really tough right now, but has anyone else begun to feel hopeless about their job prospects here?

I have NEVER experienced what I have here in terms of job search. In fact, I've never had difficulty finding a job, ever, and I'm in my 40s. Even in Michigan (Metro Detroit), where it was a one-state recession for years and the economy was terrible, I always found pretty good jobs.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 01-26-2014 at 10:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 10:02 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
I take it you have applied to all the colleges and universities as well as the public libraries? I used to work in a library in Fort Collins, Colorado, and the friend I still have there said they are downsizing the staff at a very rapid rate. If it's any consolation, I think finding a good job is tough these days and many fields are even tougher. I am (was) a graphic artist but am so tired of chasing the technology and competing with people from India and Pakistan on freelance sites that I realize it's time for a reinvention.

One job that might transition well for you is paralegal, since I would suspect you're good at research. A friend of mine made a decent living here. There ARE courses but I'd try to take some casual online classes and not bother spending the money. I looked into it and found their job placement promises were largely a come-on. But she was able to work when she wanted, some contracts lasted for over a year.

I really think it's the time and not the place . . . .

PS. A friend of mine who was a dental assistant quit her job and started a dog walking business. She makes over $70,000 in NY state . . . . .

Old 01-26-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
I take it you have applied to all the colleges and universities as well as the public libraries? I used to work in a library in Fort Collins, Colorado, and the friend I still have there said they are downsizing the staff at a very rapid rate. If it's any consolation, I think finding a good job is tough these days and many fields are even tougher. I am (was) a graphic artist but am so tired of chasing the technology and competing with people from India and Pakistan on freelance sites that I realize it's time for a reinvention.

One job that might transition well for you is paralegal, since I would suspect you're good at research. A friend of mine made a decent living here. There ARE courses but I'd try to take some casual online classes and not bother spending the money. I looked into it and found their job placement promises were largely a come-on. But she was able to work when she wanted, some contracts lasted for over a year.

I really think it's the time and not the place . . . .

PS. A friend of mine who was a dental assistant quit her job and started a dog walking business. She makes over $70,000 in NY state . . . . .

Wow, that's funny that you should mention that! I've been thinking of that for the last year or so, and I've looked into programs (UT has a good one, apparently). Great minds think alike!

Good luck with your job search, too, CountryGirl!

Old 01-26-2014, 10:44 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Wow, that's funny that you should mention that! I've been thinking of that for the last year or so, and I've looked into programs (UT has a good one, apparently). Great minds think alike!

Good luck with your job search, too, CountryGirl!
That is the last thing I would do. There is a glut of paralegals here with all the schools turning out "Certified Paralegals" and most can't find jobs. If you land at one of the big firms and that's a big IF, you'll be lucky to make somewhere between 50-60k. If you don't land at a big firm you could be making $10/hr working for a solo which is a lot more common.

Not only are paralegals competing against other paralegals for jobs, but against underemployed attorneys.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:50 AM

One of my favorite books about reinvention is called "Leap!" by Sara Davidson, although there are a lot out there. I remember looking into a certificate program, maybe with Kaplan here in Nashville and then maybe with like the University of Phoenix (online) and both of them contacted me RELENTLESSLY. Don't sign up with them. Do not give them them your number or your name. I could NOT get rid of them.

Here is a list of American Bar Approved classes but the only one in Nashville is Kaplan:

Tennessee - Paralegal Approved Program Directory - ABA

I mentioned this to my friend and she said SHE did not have any sort of certificate or degree. Just started working for a friend who was a lawyer. If you type in "free online paralegal course" you'll find a lot. There's one at California State University.

Coursera.com has "law" courses that probably would be helpful.

https://www.coursera.org/courses?ord...ing&search=law

Another great book (that you can find in our local library) is "Hacking Your Education" about all the stuff you can learn for free (Dale Stephens).

I really don't think it's Nashville's fault. We live in a global economy and there are simply fewer and fewer jobs that pay better than $10 an hour. We have to be clever, creative! Maybe start up a traveling library truck to service small towns that don't have one. Or some sort of reading is fun course that you sell to the local schools. There are a LOT of private schools here that might be able to pay for an outside teacher/class.

If I can find the email my friend sent me about being a paralegal, I'd DM you. Don't give up and don't get discouraged! As Sara Davidson wrote . . . "LEAP!"

Old 01-26-2014, 10:56 AM

Septimus, you DO have a point with the underemployed attorneys. A friend of mine just got his law degree and is moving the Hohenwald which is in desperate need of a lawyer or two.

We are such a litigious society that I can't imagine that law isn't going to remain big business. Maybe learn all you can about hospital/medical law. Specialize. You (the OP) already has a degree (I would suspect) in Library Science and is therefore steps above people who just take the Kaplan Paralegal course.

The other profession that is relatively new is Hospital Patient Advocate . . . which also would involve research.

Septimus, do you have any other ideas? The OP is asking for suggestions . . .

Old 01-26-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Septimus, you DO have a point with the underemployed attorneys. A friend of mine just got his law degree and is moving the Hohenwald which is in desperate need of a lawyer or two.

We are such a litigious society that I can't imagine that law isn't going to remain big business. Maybe learn all you can about hospital/medical law. Specialize. You (the OP) already has a degree (I would suspect) in Library Science and is therefore steps above people who just take the Kaplan Paralegal course.

The other profession that is relatively new is Hospital Patient Advocate . . . which also would involve research.

Septimus, do you have any other ideas? The OP is asking for suggestions . . .
Thanks, again, CG!

Old 01-26-2014, 11:05 AM

Found the email, sent you a DM or a PM or a secret message!!!

Old 01-26-2014, 02:25 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
That is the last thing I would do. There is a glut of paralegals here with all the schools turning out "Certified Paralegals" and most can't find jobs. If you land at one of the big firms and that's a big IF, you'll be lucky to make somewhere between 50-60k. If you don't land at a big firm you could be making $10/hr working for a solo which is a lot more common.

Not only are paralegals competing against other paralegals for jobs, but against underemployed attorneys.

Septimus is right. And attorneys working in a non-attorney position (paralegal, plus other positions in a firm) likely won't be hitting $50-60K here either. There is a law school glut which has been going on since 2008 or so.

OPer - My co-worker's husband looked for over a year to find a job. They moved from New York City and he was in the publishing field. He (and others in his transplant job search group) found many areas fairly insular here, which makes it that much more difficult. He switched to a more tech/sales field and is quite happy. The hospital/medical industry might be a good place to see how you can transition your skills. Good luck.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:55 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,832 times
I'm sure you are aware of Indeed.com but I'm just throwing it out there in case your not. It cull's job postings from most of the major job websites and thus is a google of sorts for that.

Aside from that, have you checked out some of the clinical science or research labs? For example, I work for a biotech company that does genetic testing (not in TN), and we have an in-house librarian. She spends about 30 % of her time in the office, 20% remotely from home, and around 50% remotely from the Yale University library.

She hunts down literature requests from our genetic counselor when we find novel mutations in patient DNA, or updated research on known disease-causing mutations that are present.

Just another avenue to think about. best of luck to you.

Last edited by Sigequinox; 01-26-2014 at 03:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville