Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 12:34 PM

19 posts, read 23,248 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I know that this question has been posted in the past by others but I had a hard time finding it. For anyone that has relocated from the Midwest (I'm coming from Wisconsin), can you share with me what moving companies you used and ball park cost? I have already received an estimate from Mayflower and the cost seemed relatively high for the amount of furniture I am moving ( 3 bedroom sets and mostly boxes that I have in storage). I was told by the Sales person that it is because we are moving in June (highest time of the year). I understand that but the quote was $4000. I just want to check with some other national movers to see what they would quote. Any information you could provide would be so helpful!

By the way, I love this forum!! There is also good and insightful information shared on here. And sometimes it can be very[SIZE=3]h[/SIZE][SIZE=3]umorous [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 12:58 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Have you considered renting a truck? It would probably take a mid-size one for you.

$4000 sounds high to me, but I don't keep up with moving costs.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:03 PM

Thanks alleycat. I have considered just renting a truck but would definitely want to use local movers to unload. So that might be an option. Thanks again.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:10 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
There are some companies here like "Two Men and a Truck" that might be able to provide the manpower to unload.

Whether renting a truck works for you sort of depends on how many people are coming with you and how many cars you're having to drive down.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:24 PM

914 posts, read 1,983,949 times
I've moved a couple times recently and I have found the secret to moving. Having people drive your stuff is incredibly expensive. Having them load and unload isn't as expensive. That being said, national companies (Two Men and a Truck, etc) are very expensive for just loading and unloading. I found a website called called movinghelp.com that is a crowd sourcing website that gives you several options of small, independent businesses. I've used them a handful of times and have been very pleased. We pack up the small stuff into boxes, and then have them load all the boxes, furniture, clothes, into a truck that I rented. I then drive that truck myself to the new home and hire movinghelp.com movers to unload. Movinghelp.com will average $40/hr for two men, and they can load or unload a 3000 sq foot house in ~3-4 hours with little problem. So that would ~$300 for both loading and unloading including a tip. Renting the truck will probably cost $500 including gas and insurance. Throw in a couple unexpected expenses and you should be able to move for less than $1000.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:26 AM

45 posts, read 79,480 times
Thanks for the info! We will be moving soon too and want to do it cheap as possible.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:09 AM

Thanks Hey_Hey! Renting and Driving a truck is becoming more and more desirable. I have two cars to bring down but I can also get help driving from my sons. I just know that $4000 to move me with no Living room, kitchen or Dinning room furniture, just deosn't seem worth it. Thanks for your advice.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:05 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
I moved to Nashville twice about 4 years ago. Once with a U-Haul truck and then a few months later, with Mayflower.

The U-Haul held MY stuff that had been in storage. It was about as much as would fit in a one car garage. The truck from CT to TN cost about $1200 to rent, with insurance. Don't underestimate the cost of gas - which I think was about $300. They don't get great gas mileage and it's almost $100 to fill the tank. You can also tow one car if you want although then you really need to stop at truck stops for gas because of the length of the truck plus car.

Mayflower moved my the contents of my Mom's condo . . . 2 bedrooms, living room, kitchen, den. It was a little over $5000 with insurance.

Through U-Haul, they can organize guys to help you load/unload for a reasonable amount although I'd clearly label fragile boxes and keep valuables and important papers with you or even ship ahead UPS insured (U-Haul: Moving Help moving labor service)

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2014, 02:01 PM

914 posts, read 1,983,949 times
I just realized you said you were coming from Wisconsin. I only needed my truck for 3 days because I was coming from Kentucky. One for loading, one for driving, and one for unloading. Coming from Wisconisn you may need a couple more days which will cost more in gas, rental costs, and insurance.

I just ran a uhaul quote, and for a 17' truck it was $704 and for a 20' truck it was $1021. That was from Madison to Nashville. I don't know where you're actually coming from, so it might be a little more or less expensive. Basic insurance is $75. With your minimal amount of stuff you mightbe able to get a 17' truck but you would need to see them for yourself before deciding.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:37 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,673 times
$4000 doesn't sound bad for the move.... I did 25 years in the military and moved ever 3 years or so and last move I got quoted was over $8000 for less than a 100 miler.............. Mosdt of our quotes where around $1500 per room.
Best of luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville