Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 08:14 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,724,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Pipe down, Yankee!

I don't speak for everyone, but I don't mind accents. I mind attitudes. No matter where you are from, if you come to Nashville and enjoy it for what it is, then you are welcome in my book.
I had typed out a long answer, but you said it much more succinctly. I can't rep you again right now, but I totally agree.

MI Shots, I'm the only native Southerner on my street. I have no problem with transplants. For a while, more than half of my neighbors were from Michigan. I don't even mind when they have conversations about how different it is down here in front of me (apparently they feel like you can't be blunt here, and that you can't wear jeans and a sweatshirt to the grocery store. You have to dress up or wear cute workout clothes, according to them.)

But if someone told me how lucky I was that they were willing to move here to bring up the education and income level, yeah, I would find that offensive, especially since Williamson County was wealthy and educated before they moved here.

My neighbors love TN, even they are concerned about too much growth. Many people have found their little slice of heaven and are now concerned about it changing too much. As I said earlier, the original comment on this thread came from a transplant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 08:16 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,320,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
No, that seems a rather strong historical term. I am not moving down south to exploit the region, I'm moving down there because it is more congruent with my philosophies, politics and the values in which I would like to raise my family.
That is fine. I don't think anyone has a problem with that.

I know this conversation has gotten a little heated, so perhaps it would be a good idea to step back and get on another topic. I think a few things that were said in jest have been taken a little too seriously, and that's what sparked this whole debate.

From a Tennessee perspective, some of us are a little sensitive to issues like education and wealth, because the national perception is that we are lacking in those areas as a whole, no matter if some areas, like Nashville are improving and thriving. It's an age old stereotype, and one that we have had to deal with on this board for a while. It's not that we don't want talented or educated people moving here -- but rather we don't want talented and educated people moving here thinking they are doing us a favor. That is all.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:21 AM

838 posts, read 1,209,983 times
Quote:
It's not that we don't want talented or educated people moving here -- but rather we don't want talented and educated people moving here thinking they are doing us a favor. That is all.
I would add to this, we are also very fond of what we have here. If you are moving here thinking you're going to change it for the better, stay where you are or.... have you heard about Texas?

Old 03-11-2014, 08:22 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,724,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
I would add to this, we are also very fond of what we have here. If you are moving here thinking you're going to change it for the better, stay where you are or.... have you heard about Texas?
I've heard it's lovely in Texas in the summer.

And people who believe that transplants don't try to change areas to be more like what they left should visit Austin. Don't forget to pack your grocery bags for the trip.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:23 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,871,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
No, that seems a rather strong historical term. I am not moving down south to exploit the region, I'm moving down there because it is more congruent with my philosophies, politics and the values in which I would like to raise my family.

Awesome.

You should at least VISIT here before you really form an opinion anyway.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:26 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,418,493 times
Quote:
That is fine. I don't think anyone has a problem with that.

I know this conversation has gotten a little heated, so perhaps it would be a good idea to step back and get on another topic. I think a few things that were said in jest have been taken a little too seriously, and that's what sparked this whole debate.

From a Tennessee perspective, some of us are a little sensitive to issues like education and wealth, because the national perception is that we are lacking in those areas as a whole, no matter if some areas, like Nashville are improving and thriving. It's an age old stereotype, and one that we have had to deal with on this board for a while. It's not that we don't want talented or educated people moving here -- but rather we don't want talented and educated people moving here thinking they are doing us a favor. That is all.
Yeah, quite the opposite, TN will be doing ME the favor. Like I said, I worded the statement without enough context and the dynamic between state and counties of where I live and TN are totally different. I wasn't thinking that when I made the comment.

My fault. Now wheres the "now that escalated quickly" Ron Burgundy meme?

Old 03-11-2014, 08:30 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,418,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Awesome.

You should at least VISIT here before you really form an opinion anyway.
Booked our flight yesterday

Please note the reason I was arguing with you that whole time was because I had no idea what was going on until someone else mentioned it and then I realized how the comment was being interpreted. The elitist "I'm/we saving you" couldn't be further from what I believe or how I feel.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:35 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,542,108 times
I was 1/2 joking with my Cary, NC comment. I have a friend that grew up in Cary and she always jokes about being the one local. It is similar in Franklin. It is rare to meet anyone over 40 who actually grew up in Franklin.

Franklin is a wonderful city but it is growing rapidly because it is desirable. The city has so far done a good job of managing the growth and meeting growth demands, but it can't last forever and there is already talk of needing to raise taxes to pay for road extensions/improvements and raising taxes goes over like a lead balloon in these parts.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:12 AM

157 posts, read 347,237 times
Quote:
Pipe down, Yankee!

I don't speak for everyone, but I don't mind accents. I mind attitudes. No matter where you are from, if you come to Nashville and enjoy it for what it is, then you are welcome in my book.
I was going to rep you, but I can't do it again so soon. I'm a born-and-raised New Yorker and I know I'm a damn Yankee! There ain't nothin' offensive about calling me a Yankee, either!

It seems many folks share your view. It's not the accents you mind, it's not where the people come from--it's the attitudes that matter.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:09 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,082,140 times
I'm hoping to move away at the end of the year, so that frees up some space...

Am I seriously the only one who doesn't mind when people move here? Just a matter of preference I guess but I always thought the Nashville area was pretty nice, but could certainly use a bump in population and diversity. I like what the area is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville