Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 09:10 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times

Advertisements

Melrose B&C BBQ is my favorite BBQ in Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 06:55 AM

328 posts, read 568,623 times
One other question off topic....
I need to throw in some history for the husband and daughter....
I was thinking Carnton Plantation? Read about some others though..what would be your first pick for the history buff?

Old 03-11-2014, 07:08 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livnluv View Post
I was thinking Carnton Plantation? Read about some others though..what would be your first pick for the history buff?
The Hermitage. But if you are wanting to do something in Franklin, there is the Carnton Planation, the Carter House, and Lotz, and you can buy a combined ticket to tour all 3.

There is also the TN State Museum downtown. It's a great museum, and it's free.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:39 AM

136 posts, read 210,664 times
i would pick carter house over carnton if you only did one. and the walk up to fort granger is nice this time of year, walkable from downtown franklin if you go over the bridge by 2nd ave to pinkerton park

Old 03-11-2014, 08:47 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Quote:
Anyone know of a good "touristy" map online that shows the different areas like Vandy, the Gulch, etc...?
Hey DC~~We were going to stop in Memphis on the way in for some BBQ...How do you think Memphis BBQ rates vs PegLeg?
Very similar. Peg Leg is west TN style BBQ. You can probably find some threads on the Memphis forum about their BBQ suggestions if you're heading through there. Memphis is definitely known for its BBQ so I'd probably go there for BBQ...but believe me Peg Leg and any number of other Nashville establishments are as good as the boys and girls in Memphis.

Quote:
First pick would definitely be the Hermitage as brentwoodgirl said. It's one of the best historical sights in the state. Carter House is a good choice too for Civil War history. The Bicentennial Mall downtown is also free and gives you a sense of the state's history overall, though the sight itself isn't very historically significant.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:00 AM

Thanks everyone..Will stop in Memphis for BBQ, looks like Interstate BBQ is a big favorite via the Memphis thread and will go to the Hermitage probably for the history...
For other meals I will see what neighborhood we are in at the time while sightseeing, etc..Thanks for your time and suggestions
Any special areas to drive around and look at? Natchez Trace Pkwy? Maybe out to Leiper's Fork, anything else to show the family? Will do Lower Broadway, etc naturally.
We will be there next Mon/Tues.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:26 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
I've heard good things about Interstate BBQ as well. I think they've been on Food Network or Travel Channel recently.

Be sure to check out the Hermitage's website first. It's a little pricey to visit, but I think its well worth it. Also consider that it is on the east side of town in (aptly named) Hermitage near the airport. While I think it's worth the drive (20-25 mins from downtown) it might be a factor to consider if you are spending most of your time in Williamson County.

The Natchez Trace is always a pretty drive, but I personally wouldn't make it a priority at first. I'd spend more time exploring downtown, West End, and/or Franklin than taking the trace or visiting Leiper's Fork. Now, if you have a lot of time...absolutely! It's beautiful out there.

Hope you have good weather. Today it's in the mid 70s. Tomorrow there's a chance of flurries late in the day. This time of year is always up and down!

Old 03-11-2014, 12:36 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
I wouldn't bother with the Trace this time of year, or I would only drive as far as the bridge, which is spectacular! The start of the trace is very near the Loveless Cafe which is fun even if you just go in the gift shop.

It's not that far from Franklin if you take Hillsboro and then cut across on Sneed Road.

I agree, a drive through downtown Franklin (or a walk) would be nice! Lots of little shops, coffee places, frozen yogurt, tea, spices . . . . check out what I call "The Letter Shop" but it's a home and garden place, a couple doors down from the frozen yogurt shop. COOL store!

Old 03-11-2014, 01:58 PM

Thank you so much everyone..I've frequented this forum a ton, and am glad to FINALLY get back to TN!

Old 03-12-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Just read through all the neighborhood highlights....48 hours is no way...no how...going to be enough time in Nashville for this girl. This is going to be a reconnaissance mission with the family..and then I think I am going to have to come back by myself when I am off work for the summer and spend more time. Too much stuff to do. I want to go into the different areas and browse the shops, sit and have some coffee, and just take it all in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville