Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 01:08 PM

12 posts, read 23,069 times

Advertisements

How are the schools in Columbia? I was looking at Spring Hill (to move to) but it's just too pricey. So now I'm looking into Columbia. Are there plenty of shops, etc there? Job prospects? I'm in health administration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 09:46 AM

20 posts, read 75,126 times
No It's kind of in the country side. Note In a subdivision

Old 04-02-2014, 05:13 PM

159 posts, read 331,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeder03 View Post
How are the schools in Columbia? I was looking at Spring Hill (to move to) but it's just too pricey. So now I'm looking into Columbia. Are there plenty of shops, etc there? Job prospects? I'm in health administration
Schools are not as good as Williamson Co. (so I've heard) but you will probably get more house for your money in Columbia. We live N of Columbia & shop at the Crossings, usually. The Belk store in Columbia is nice. There's a Penney's at the Mall & Hobby Lobby. I like the Lowe's here too.
I don't know what health admin. entails so can't tell you about jobs. The hospital employs a lot of people & there are a lot of clinics too.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by festerly6 View Post
No It's kind of in the country side. Note In a subdivision
How much property goes with it?

Old 05-19-2014, 11:20 AM

51 posts, read 76,244 times
Thinking about moving to Columbia from Oregon. Any information would be helpful. Seems like affordable housing for 2 seniors with just SS to live on. Yes?

Old 05-19-2014, 04:35 PM

We are retired & moved here almost 5 yrs. ago. We have met lots of people here who have retired to Maury Co. Cost of living is very affordable for retirees. Taxes are about a sixth of what we were paying in IL. It's close enough to Nashville to go in for a day, but there is plenty to do here as well.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:02 PM

9,598 posts, read 9,189,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by festerly6 View Post
My family and I just moved out to Murfreesboro, TN. We like it. Hate the traffic though. We'd like to move into a "smaller" town feeling place. We have been searching for houses and what we can afford (we're a one income family) all seems to be in the area of Columbia. We have been told to stay away from Lewisburg/Shelbyville. What can you tell us about Columbia.

And by "afford" I mean, buy out right. No mortgage!

Oh, and we have four small children, homeschool, and go to church...
Ok they told you to stay out of Shelbyville lol. Okay. Columbia has its pros and cons. It is an affordable area compared to the other Nashville suburbs, but a little farther away. The great thing about Columbia is the housing stock and the fact that you get more than what you pay for. It has its crime issues, and rebel flag culture, but most people are accepting and will leave you alone. It reminds me a great bit of Hopkinsville, KY. Like most areas in Middle Tennessee, there are a lot of churches, and family facilities/activities. It is not growing like Spring Hill, but that may be a good thing as far as traffic is concerned. Not sure about schools or jobs, however. Have you though about Dickson or Lebanon? They are also affordable alternatives, too.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:07 PM

51 posts, read 76,244 times
thanks for the input. It is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:45 PM

911 posts, read 2,143,116 times
Why stay out of shelbyville?

Old 06-20-2014, 08:31 AM

68 posts, read 91,456 times
they really, really like their mules

Mule Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville