Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 07:39 AM

64 posts, read 90,758 times

Advertisements

We just moved into our house a few days ago. We r abt 1/2 mile down clovercroft off of Wilson pike, so somewhat near the railroad tracks. We r in the back of the neighborhood, so I can't imagine being any closer! I cannot get used to the constant horn blowing from the trains! Last night from 10:30-11 there were 4 trains that came through blowing their horn! Is this the norm in this area where it doesn't matter where u live u just get used to hearing the trains? What's the procedure with blowing their horns and why? Is this have something to do with where we r located along the tracks? Sorry, I'm just not used to this and wanted to know thoughts from people that have lived here for a while.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 07:51 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,280,294 times
I know trains usually blow their horns when they will be going through a railroad crossing to warn any oncoming cars even if there are crossing guard rails as a precaution.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:07 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
You didn't know there were train tracks nearby? Those are some very lovely homes . . . too bad about the noise. Best idea would be to ask your neighbors what THEY do. Perhaps a white noise machine? I had to get one for some party people 3 doors down.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:18 AM

I did know tracks were there but didn't realize how frequent they came through and how loud the horns were. I thought we were far enough away, but guess not. I don't really hear the train coming through, it's mainly the long horn blows that r so loud!

Old 03-20-2014, 08:36 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,546,355 times
It may be one of those things you'll adjust to. Also air humidity levels may play a factor in how loud they are. Some days I can hear cows mooing even though they are over a mile away and others I don't hear them.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:26 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
Playing around on Google Earth, it looks like at the south end of Wilson Pike it dead ends at Tulloss Road and that looks like a place where road and railroad tracks meet. Not sure if there is a gate there? Hard to tell. That might be where they blow their horn . . pretty far away actually. Must bother quite a few folks.

Hmm, nope, I'm wrong! There's a tunnel . . . . not sure WHY they are tooting?

Old 03-20-2014, 01:16 PM

722 posts, read 2,100,990 times
when i lived in Dallas, we had train tracks very close (one side street over) and a somewhat busy intersection right there too so they were laying on the horn everytime they went thru which was about every two hours. To be honest, you wont even notice the horn in a few months at night once its part of the normal routine.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:08 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
There are several at-grade crossings in that area, and they are required to signal when they approach an at-grade crossing regardless of the time of day or night.

That track is VERY heavily used, unfortunately. At one time 30 trains a day would go through there. Some people I know who have those train tracks in their backyard swear that they sleep right through it.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:03 AM

838 posts, read 1,210,875 times
In a prior city I lived in, the citizens lobbied city council to get 'quiet zones' put into several areas of town where trains weren't allowed to blow their whistles, even though they were supposed to for safety reasons. In order to qualify as a 'quiet zone' the city had to put in other sorts of safety measures to mitigate the risk around those quiet zones.

Maybe you can get your neighborhood to band together to convince the city council to establish one? Then you would be a hero in your new neighborhood!

The Train Horn Rule and Quiet Zones | Federal Railroad Administration

Old 03-22-2014, 07:39 AM

Thx everyone! Hopefully I will get used to it! I was talking to my neighbor yesterday when one of them came and she said she didn't end notice it. She did say they were building something so that the cars would go over instead if crossing so it would eliminate the horn. Hopefully that's true. Plus, when trees r full that should help too. She said the other parts of neighborhood r far worse bc they r closer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville