Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 01:44 PM

36 posts, read 49,875 times

Advertisements

Actually I was in the Bell Rd. area not long ago and bought gas at Kroger. It looked like a huge "cash advance" place had been built right across the street from where I was filling up. Also stopped at the Family Dollar and bought a couple of extra laundry baskets. The gas and laundry baskets were both reasonably priced and I didn't get mugged, so there probably are worse areas - but didn't really see much that would equal "hip." (Unless Kroger Gasoline, Family Dollar, and some obtrusive looking cash advance place = "hip")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 03:37 PM

815 posts, read 2,018,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llfndrsng View Post
Actually I was in the Bell Rd. area not long ago and bought gas at Kroger. It looked like a huge "cash advance" place had been built right across the street from where I was filling up. Also stopped at the Family Dollar and bought a couple of extra laundry baskets. The gas and laundry baskets were both reasonably priced and I didn't get mugged, so there probably are worse areas - but didn't really see much that would equal "hip." (Unless Kroger Gasoline, Family Dollar, and some obtrusive looking cash advance place = "hip")
Do you really think we built that cash advance place or want it in our area??? NO!!! It has been the topic of many meetings the number of unwanted places like that in one area... It's Tennessee Quick Cash and they have popped up all over town... But what is wrong with Kroger gas, and family dollar??? We are a diverse community and have something for all... We have listed several things going on in Antioch that would make it "hip", but your one stop at a gas station in Antioch does not mean you know Antioch... What do you define as hip then?

Old 04-07-2014, 03:58 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
I have a question for those of you in Antioch. Is the area around Priest Lake considered part of Antioch now? I guess I usually think of Antioch as being west of Murfreesboro Road, but the area has changed a lot in the past couple of decades so maybe everything in the southeast corner gets called Antioch these days.

For those of you who are younger than I am, or have moved here recently, I remember when Antioch was considered rural, or close to it. I worked for an engineer back in the 1970s and they were building a new church on Una Antioch Pike. I had to do some soil and perk tests on the site. UA Pike was basically a country lane back then.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I have a question for those of you in Antioch. Is the area around Priest Lake considered part of Antioch now? I guess I usually think of Antioch as being west of Murfreesboro Road, but the area has changed a lot in the past couple of decades so maybe everything in the southeast corner gets called Antioch these days.

For those of you who are younger than I am, or have moved here recently, I remember when Antioch was considered rural, or close to it. I worked for an engineer back in the 1970s and they were building a new church on Una Antioch Pike. I had to do some soil and perk tests on the site. UA Pike was basically a country lane back then.
Yes, Antioch officially starts at Smith Springs Rd.where it intersects Anderson Rd. Everything to the east, including smith springs rec area and the YMCA Joe C. Davis camp on the lake is Antioch and it continues over the lake to the Hobson Pk bridge, one side is Antioch the other side is Hermitage, and it follows the southern boarder of the lake down to the Rutherford county line. On the far others side Antioch boarders Nolensville and Brentwood and the line is on the backside of Lennox Village and crosses over the road a little west of Nolensville on Holt Rd... Nothing north of OHB on Nolensville is Antioch, not is Harding place, and west Haywood Lane... None of those areas are served by our area council people nor are they part of the Antioch or Cane Ridge School zones... The only area we may consider Antioch that is not 37013 is the 37217 zip that zig zags the 37013 and is only boarded by the water and Antioch....all with in the school zones...we do not claim 37211 as Antioch, and very few of it is in the school zone.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:

Antioch high school is only about a mile from the lake, and the area north of the lake, Long Hunter State park area up to the Wilson county/mt. Juliet line is technically 37076, Hermitage, however it is represented by council district 33 which is Antioch and it is also in the Antioch School Zone and the only roads leading to it in Davidson county are in Antioch and the water disconnects it from Hermitage, so it too is untechnically Antioch. We walk and do other recreation at Long Hunter state park because it's literally 2 minutes from Antioch neighborhoods.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:33 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,742,391 times
I've got a friend that lives on Colonial Heritage Drive, and she has a Nashville address, not Antioch.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
I've got a friend that lives on Colonial Heritage Drive, and she has a Nashville address, not Antioch.
Which is true, it's located on the pennisula, but like I said it is a 37217 zip that is located between the lake and 37013, Antioch zip. Antioch starts at the bottom on the pennisula and to the east of it, it's also council district 29 that includedes Antioch, and is in the Antioch high school zone, so we simply refer to the area as the Priest Lake/Antioch area..

Old 04-07-2014, 05:50 PM

For some reason over the past 10 years or so, everybody except for those in Antioch, including the media, have tried to shift Antioch and Antioch associated communities further and further northwest to include Harding Place and Nolensville Pk, some even take it as far north as Thompson Lane/Briley Pkwy area, and just the small portion of Bell Rd. by the mall and think that's all Antioch has to offer. I think with the closing of Harding Mall the area once reffrred to as "Harding Place" lost it's identity and became associated with Antioch since it's an exit away, 2 away from the heart of Antioch.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:10 PM

12 posts, read 30,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llfndrsng View Post

Are you reading all the comments or just going over them quickly? We did not choose the name HIP ANTIOCH for that Facebook page, SO please stop the Hip remarks.

We have a "Cash Advance" place now, why are you so surprised? I'm sure you have seen them in your area too. They are all over the place and there is little one can do when they move into an area that is already zoned commercial. As soon as people no longer have a need for them they will all go away. I think the sooner the better we can both agree on.

If you do not live in the area then why do you continue to talk negatively about it. If where you live is so great why were you in our area filling up and buy laundry baskets in Antioch at all?

You have me very confused. I don't know if you are just posting for kicks or if you just believe you are an expert. You tell me.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:27 PM

12 posts, read 30,883 times
Quote:

alleycat, All of Antioch was originally west of Murfreesboro Road. However, those that lived in the Now Priest Lake area were zoned to go to Apollo Middle School and Antioch High School. In was mostly rural up until they built Hickory Hollow Mall.

In 1971 they built McGavock High School in the Donelson area and those living east of Murfreesboro Road were rezoned to the new school and various Middle Schools. Priest Lake was just beginning to build up at that time. Previously it was mostly rural.

I do not remember the years, but when the opened the Antioch Post Office some of the addresses in Priest Lake were on their delivery list. They decided to incorporate all those addresses into the 37013 Zip Code. So now parts of Priest Lake are either 37217 or 37013 and parts that surround the lake can be in either depending on which area you are. It can be confusing sometimes.

My family bought their home in the Priest Lake area in 1961 which was pre Percy Priest Lake. I have seen all the changes to the area and have adapted to each new addition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville