Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 09:33 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times

Advertisements

This year, HGTV's Home Giveaway is in Nashville (off Granny White Pike in Duncanwood Reserve near Lipscomb). Can't win if you don't enter:

HGTV Smart Home 2014 Giveaway : HGTV Smart Home : Home & Garden Television
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 06:56 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
I always enter the Dream Home sweepstakes. Never do win though That South Carolina home 2 years ago was freakin awesome.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:36 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
I'd take some of the furnishings out and sell it I think. I guess you'd have to pay taxes on it (which would be pretty hefty) but you'd get it back when you sold it and still come out pretty well in the end. I doubt it would take long to sell. Definitely worth a few seconds to enter.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:58 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
I always enter the Dream Home sweepstakes. Never do win though That South Carolina home 2 years ago was freakin awesome.
The one in Kiawah? That was amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I'd take some of the furnishings out and sell it I think. I guess you'd have to pay taxes on it (which would be pretty hefty) but you'd get it back when you sold it and still come out pretty well in the end. I doubt it would take long to sell. Definitely worth a few seconds to enter.

I've heard people make offers to buy as soon as the winner is announced. I don't think the winner would even have to list it.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:06 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
Quote:
I read an article about prior Grand Prize winners and that is exactly what happens. They do give you 250k cash plus a GMC truck (for the Dream Home), but historically the winners can not afford the taxes, some of which amount to a years salary for many--30-40k range (think cali dream home on Lake Tahoe).

All the winners said the experience is still great because HGTV flies you down there, provides you with butler service and a stocked kitchen for a week. Most people look at it like an amazing vacation with a free truck and a boatload of cash to boot when they sell the house.

It is pathetic that they cannot afford the house because the government still takes the same cut as if they were multi millionaires buying it for themselves. Not to mention the government is just going to waste all the money they take. sigh.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:46 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
Maybe...but if I'm getting a fairly massive cash injection into my bank account from the cash gift, truck (or the cash equivilent if they do that in lieu of the vehicle), and selling the house at listing price minus taxes owed, I won't mind coughing up some dough to Uncle Sam. It may not be lottery money, but it sure would make life a lot easier. Hopefully the cash prize (less taxes on that) is enough to cover the upfront taxes on the home if someone wanted to occupy it. And then, of course, is the property taxes each year too. I'd just take it all and run...buy a new place in Sumner County with some land or just pay off my existing home and pocket the rest.

I got a kick out of the music room downstairs. Don't you know that the Green Hills neighbors will just LOVE to hear that all times of the day!

Old 04-22-2014, 10:01 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
Quote:
Maybe...but if I'm getting a fairly massive cash injection into my bank account from the cash gift, truck (or the cash equivilent if they do that in lieu of the vehicle), and selling the house at listing price minus taxes owed, I won't mind coughing up some dough to Uncle Sam. It may not be lottery money, but it sure would make life a lot easier. Hopefully the cash prize (less taxes on that) is enough to cover the upfront taxes on the home if someone wanted to occupy it. And then, of course, is the property taxes each year too. I'd just take it all and run...buy a new place in Sumner County with some land or just pay off my existing home and pocket the rest.

I got a kick out of the music room downstairs. Don't you know that the Green Hills neighbors will just LOVE to hear that all times of the day!
I agree... If I just won a house I'd have no ideological issues with paying some taxes on my windfall. I'd happily pay taxes just to have the windfall.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:39 PM

593 posts, read 1,355,945 times
My wife always enters the HGTV Dream Home contest. This year, she figures it would be just our luck to win a house in the metro area from which we just moved! But yes, we would sell the house too.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:28 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
LOVE the TV in the master shower (no bathtub though?) and the window seat in the kid's room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville