U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 09:36 AM

83 posts, read 119,109 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure exactly who to ask about this, so I figured I would post it here and see if anyone has ideas.

I'm renting a second floor condo currently. While cleaning out the porch storage unit (on the second floor), I found what appears to be a nest. I've never seen anything like this and am just not sure what to do. I don't want to explore the nest too much, just in case an animal is living there.

I would ask my landlords to take a look at it, but unfortunately, they haven't been really responsive to other problems I've had (example - I've had a broken heating/cooling system since last summer and they haven't yet replaced it). Any other ideas on who might be good to contact? I'm pretty new to Nashville so I'm entirely up-to-date on all of the government entities/animal organizations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 09:44 AM

3,745 posts, read 7,042,087 times
Here's a Google search for pest removal in Nashville. I don't have any personal experience with this service though (thankfully).

But before you pay to have someone come out and look, can you describe it? How big is the nest? What's it made out of? Can you snap a photo of it? Can you tell if there's any sign of life? It is probably an old nest most likely, but you never know.

I'd push the landlords hard on the heating/cooling system though. We'll be parked in the mid 90s before you know it and that's not the best time in the world to replace or service a unit.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:45 AM

Sorry - I hit send before I could include a description. The nest is near the roof of the storage closet. It's a fairly large circular hole and it's stuffed with insulation and twigs.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:52 AM

For some reason, City-Data won't allow me to upload a photo of the nest.

Concerning the heating/cooling issue, I've tried since last summer for the landlords to replace it - they won't. The owner doesn't "want to" because the entire system is very old and needs to be completely replaced. My bills have been ridiculously high since I moved in - more than I've ever paid living anywhere else. I'm moving out in a few weeks so I'm just trying to deal with it the best that I can.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:20 PM

3,745 posts, read 7,042,087 times
Hard to say based on that description but I'd guess it's a bird's nest. If you're seeing sticks, twigs, and the like I think you can rule out hornets or other stinging insects that love to nest in such places. If it is an active bird's nest, you'll definitely be able to tell within a few weeks as eggs hatch. It also could be a chipmunk nest too, I guess.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:02 PM

353 posts, read 859,832 times
Squirrel nest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville