U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:29 AM

3,719 posts, read 6,180,879 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering how you were doing MI shots . . as you have seen with this storm, for us, it was way 'over forecast'. If that is a term. Better safe than sorry but it does cause a lot of anxiety for people.

Looks like the best chance of rain (according to weather.com) is between 3 and 7 and there are no warnings or watches up . . . well, just for possible flooding on roads.

I don't think there is only one scenario that tends to create fatalities in tornadoes but trailer parks and people in cars both tend to be very dangerous places in these storms. Also, getting hit with debris, or possibly a tree falling on your house. So when you hunker down, you want as much cushioning as possible on top of you - even literally, couch cushions, a mattress (if you can manage it). And helmets are now recommended.

With the flood in 2010 some people were trapped in cars when they tried to drive through streams that they thought weren't as deep as they were, and some people try to go swimming in swollen streams thinking it will be 'fun'.

I connected my weather radio and did get a couple alerts, but it was nice being able to just push the button and get an up to date weather forecast. Do you think that's the voice of a real person? He has sounded the same for like 40 years!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 09:33 AM

3,809 posts, read 7,511,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi shots View Post
I know they report casualties from direct tornado hits but I rarely see or hear how the innocent perished.

Were they in cars, caught off guard outdoors????
Were they in a secure room in their homes?
I'm just curious as to what the circumstances were in most cases of loss of life.

Does anyone know any of the information?

So, I saw on the news this morning that there are still possibility of severe storm/tornado threats south of Nashville. Any updates on that?

It's sunny and getting more warm and humid in Hendersonville and it's early.
I'm sure there's a website somewhere with statistics on how victims perished. It seems like most that you hear of were due to poor storm shelters like mobile homes, people stuck in their vehicles, or the tornado simply zeroed in on their residence. I remember the 1998 F5 that hit Nashville and there was a young man stuck outside at Centennial Park (running I think) who was killed. LIkewise in 2006 in Sumner County I can think of a few instances where mobile homes were destroyed and a number of traditional homes hit directly. In such cases there's not much anyone can do unless you're in a fortified storm shelter.

Again, the vast majority of deaths can be prevented through common sense, being prepared, and being aware. But, there do seem to be sometimes when if a big enough tornado hits your home directly, there's not a whole lot you can do. Keep in mind, that is exceedingly rare.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:36 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,704,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi shots View Post
I know they report casualties from direct tornado hits but I rarely see or hear how the innocent perished.

Were they in cars, caught off guard outdoors????
Were they in a secure room in their homes?
I'm just curious as to what the circumstances were in most cases of loss of life.

Does anyone know any of the information?
Obviously things without a strong foundation like a trailer will be the highest potential for damage. That's why the news always goes to a trailer park or something of the like. Other than that, debris and falling structures like walls and ceilings would be my best guess. Maybe collapsing trees? I grew up here and I don't really know.

Quote:
So, I saw on the news this morning that there are still possibility of severe storm/tornado threats south of Nashville. Any updates on that?

It's sunny and getting more warm and humid in Hendersonville and it's early.
It's just the way the weather works. We got lucky yesterday that the sun didn't come out before the storms really had a chance to develop. Today I don't think the system is as strong as the one yesterday, but the weather this morning makes it easier for severe storms to pop up this time around. It's really nothing to be too afraid of 99% of the time but if you aren't accustomed to it I can understand why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
I saw on the news this AM where one young man in Mississippi did everything right by going to his basement when the storm came, but the wall in the basement collapsed and killed him. So you never know and just live each day to the fullest.
Yes, a very rare situation. Also I read that a similar thing happened yesterday in Tuscaloosa to a guy who was on the swimming team at Alabama.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:03 AM

473 posts, read 414,445 times
OP, you're going to make yourself crazy, seriously! Tornadoes get a lot of press but they pale in comparison to everyday risks like driving.

You're from New York, right? I remember living in New York right after Sept. 11, actually even several years later, and it seemed like every week brought a new terror threat. To this day, you can't even ride the subway without the robot voices reminding you: "If you see something, say something." But you gotta live your life. Every place has its [insert scary, unpredictable thing that could happen.] But if you worry about every outside risk, you might as well hole up in a bunker and fill out an application to appear on Doomsday Preppers.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:03 AM

4,740 posts, read 9,343,328 times
Mi shots:

Two died in north Alabama:

Quote:
Authorities confirm two people were killed when Monday's tornadoes struck Limestone County. The Decatur Daily reports they wouldn't leave their mobile home before it was wiped out in the storm.

Kevin and Alyssa Toon of the Billy Bob Trailer Park in the Coxey community told The Decatur Daily they were trying to get everyone into the nearby shelter on U.S. 72. They said at least three people wouldn't leave their home about 15 yards away.

Limestone County Coroner Mike West confirmed two deaths at the scene. Their identities have not been released. The victim's brother survived and was taken to the hospital.

Another resident told the newspaper they had to dig the two bodies out while the survivor was found outside.

Toon said 24 mobile homes and 23 trailers at the park were wiped out, leaving approximately 60 without homes.
Report: 2 killed in Limestone County tornado refused to enter storm shelter | AL.com

Two more in southern Tennessee:

Quote:
Two people were killed and six others were injured when a tornado touched down in Lincoln County Monday evening. Several homes were leveled by the twister that struck around 8:30 p.m. after the National Weather Service issued a tornado emergency for part of Lincoln, Moore and northwest Franklin counties.

The Lincoln County Sheriff's Office said a husband and wife were killed in a home, but a location and identities were not immediately known. The sheriff believes three tornadoes touched down in the county, but storm damage teams from the NWS will have to investigate.

...At least 11 people in the South have been killed, bringing the overall death toll from two days of severe weather to at least 28.
2 Killed, 6 Injured In Tornado In Lincoln County - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

Old 04-29-2014, 11:57 AM

3,809 posts, read 7,511,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoBNA View Post
But you gotta live your life. Every place has its [insert scary, unpredictable thing that could happen.]
Amen.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:16 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,704,979 times
From looking at the Weather Channel's "Future" radar throughout the day, it seems like some of those flare-up storms may not happen after all. They were forecasting them earlier, and now up until 5pm, all of Middle TN is clear....on their radar at least.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:09 PM

362 posts, read 579,847 times
First I want to thank all of you for calming my fears.

I keep telling myself if it's god's will.....so be it, but of course I want to protect myself and loved ones as best as possible. Unfortunately this third floor apartment freaks me out. Plus there is a train railway that is directly behind our apartment. The sound is so loud my dogs freak out. I've heard some say a tornado could sound like a freight train x10

Hopefully we won't be here for too many months. There are slim pickings in homes, or at least what we are looking for.

I truly feel so bad for those who have lost their lives these past few days. It's so sad.

Thank you again, from the bottom of my heart.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:10 PM

3,719 posts, read 6,180,879 times
You'll find a home soon . . I'm positive! For me, my 2 years of planning to move to Nashville happened in 5 weeks. You're half way there. You'll find a place, pounce, and WHAMMO, it will be yours! No trains, a downstairs safe spot, a yard for the pups . . . it's gonna happen!

Old 04-29-2014, 08:01 PM

701 posts, read 1,858,088 times
Just grow a pair of testes and enjoy the show!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville