Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2014, 01:31 PM

17 posts, read 18,544 times

Advertisements

I am selling my house by owner and have picked up a contract from my title company. One of the things in the contracts are the seller disclosures. I really don't want to get involved in disclosures. Does this form have to be filled out to close the sell of the property or can I opt out of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 02:01 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,470,452 times
It is a state law that the disclosure must be provided and be truthful and accurate to the best of the seller's knowledge.

Here's a helpful PDF that discusses the disclosure, the law, and the very limited exceptions.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:23 PM

362 posts, read 645,599 times
We sold our home FSBO and didn't have a disclosure. One of the benefits of selling FSBO is all info is exchanged and addressed face to face.
You might want to add certain details to contract (so there is no loose holes).
Good luck

Old 05-10-2014, 09:31 PM

196 posts, read 732,305 times
If you are living in the house at the time of sale, it is state law that the disclosure must be filled out by the buyer and signed by both buyer and seller.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:46 AM

42 posts, read 61,015 times
and dont lie on it. You will open yourself up for all sorts of litigation

Old 05-13-2014, 03:50 AM

940 posts, read 1,902,144 times
My brother ran into a fiasco over this in Chattanooga. He and wife bought a large house there in Aug '12, was not in a hurry to leave Gwinnett co GA so they rented to the sellers until Jan '13. In Sept '13 the septic system he didn't know he had failed, and the disclosure stated that the house was on city sewer and he actually had been billed every month for sewer. The cost to hook him up to the system was tremendous and they lost a lost of landscaping. So he got a lawyer and they sued the previous owners for the loss, based on the disclosure. The lawyer didn't know that state law there establishes a one year time frame for seller liability starting at closing date, not at the date of taking possession as he erroneously thought. They got to court and the suit was immediately dismissed for being outside the statutory time limit.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:27 AM

337 posts, read 448,735 times
When I was at an open house this past weekend, I asked for disclosures/to see the disclosure report from the listing agent who was staffing the open house. He said that the owners had not lived in the house for 3 years (they rented to their son) and they were not required to fill out a disclosure report. I haven't researched this yet, but that was his answer to me.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:15 AM

38 posts, read 45,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAF View Post
When I was at an open house this past weekend, I asked for disclosures/to see the disclosure report from the listing agent who was staffing the open house. He said that the owners had not lived in the house for 3 years (they rented to their son) and they were not required to fill out a disclosure report. I haven't researched this yet, but that was his answer to me.
This is actually true, although it is pretty convenient that they had not lived there for the exact minimum amount of time that would not require them to fill out a disclosure.

OP, whether or not you use a real estate agent, you are required to fill out a disclosure form in Tennessee. There are a few exceptions, but it doesn't sound like they apply to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville