Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 05:47 PM

215 posts, read 682,018 times

Advertisements

The Bellshire and Parkwood neighborhoods in Northeast Nashville zip code 37207 off of Dickerson Pike are pretty safe and nice,might I suggest Mulberry Downs.I would say they are some where between pre-gentrified and fully gentrified but that is just my opinion though and as a place they are close to or nearly in East Nashville though more to the North but still minutes from downtown and getting better all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 07:26 PM

22 posts, read 46,510 times
As a Realtor in Franklin TN, and a father of 2 boys 7 and 11, I can tell you that there are plenty of pre-schools in good areas. They are not cheap, and they are not easy to get into as enrollment fills quickly, but they are great schools.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,405 times
Thanks Carol for your honest and pretty accurate lay-out of Nashville's most urban neighborhoods! I'm preparing to move from West End Park to Woodland in Waverly, which I would not have originally done if I hadn't found a really nice place. I always considered Waverly one of those "Historic" areas that has questionable safety. I'm glad that you've grouped these two areas in the safest urban Nashville neighborhoods, because I've really considered West End Park (Long Blvd and all) to be a safe as one can get in the city. Look forward to relocating!

Old 10-23-2011, 02:13 AM

67 posts, read 221,569 times
West End is very safe...I never had a problem during the five years I resided there. I've heard of some petty crime there but not much.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:12 AM

51 posts, read 135,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol McCullough View Post
I guess I need more information before I would make a suggestion. Is she single? Is she adventurous or shy? What is her experience with urban living previously? Does she mostly prefer to drive where she wants to go or prefer being able to pop around the corner from home to hit the bars/restaurants/retail stores/etc.? What kind of budget are we talking here?

Feel free to direct message me or give me more details here, whichever you prefer.

Hi Carol,

What area would you recommend for a single mom of a pre-teen son and a daughter who will be visiting from college? I prefer a school with probably all nationalites for him because that's the type of school he attends now. Safety is first due to I would be living alone, I want to be able to come and go day or night and feel safe. We live in Park Forest, IL now and came from another south burb outside of Chicago so I would like an area similar. I am looking to rent in the beginning.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:56 AM

150 posts, read 619,873 times
Default Suburbs aren't my area of expertise

I'm going to say that I may not be the authority on this one, because it sounds like you prefer suburban living, based on your past and current choices in the greater Chicago area. I am less knowledgeable about the suburbs (and even less knowledgeable about the schools in the suburbs).

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable about suburbs can chime in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletjazz View Post
Hi Carol,

What area would you recommend for a single mom of a pre-teen son and a daughter who will be visiting from college? I prefer a school with probably all nationalites for him because that's the type of school he attends now. Safety is first due to I would be living alone, I want to be able to come and go day or night and feel safe. We live in Park Forest, IL now and came from another south burb outside of Chicago so I would like an area similar. I am looking to rent in the beginning.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:03 AM

150 posts, read 619,873 times
Default Metro Schools update

Since I am commenting on a thread that I posted on almost 4 years ago, I feel an update is in order. I'm not going to try to update neighborhood info, as that is a bigger job than I am prepared to take on right now, but I did want to talk about schools.

My son did attend East Academy (which was a very diverse school) for Kindergarten, but unfortunately the school had to close for financial reasons. Thus, I did end up entering the world of Davidson County Metro Schools. He now attends Dan Mills Elementary in Inglewood (depending on who you talk to, Inglewood is either part of or just north of what is known as East Nashville). We are not zoned for Dan Mills, but it is currently an open-enrollment school (and more than half of the students come from other school zones, just like my son). I think it is a very good school and I recommend it. As I said in my earlier post, there are some gems out there but you have to make an effort to find them.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:45 PM

9 posts, read 28,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdCoaster View Post
West End is very safe...I never had a problem during the five years I resided there. I've heard of some petty crime there but not much.
I'm moving to Nashville in October 2012. I've a few questions regarding the West End. Can I find a one bedroom apartment for about $750/month in this area? Would you recommend this area to a single female? Does public transporation service this area? How far is this area from Downtown Nashville or how long is the drive from West End to downtown Nashville?

Old 11-04-2011, 01:51 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthebusdriver View Post
I'm moving to Nashville in October 2012. I've a few questions regarding the West End. Can I find a one bedroom apartment for about $750/month in this area? Would you recommend this area to a single female? Does public transporation service this area? How far is this area from Downtown Nashville or how long is the drive from West End to downtown Nashville?
-$750/month might be possible, but it's on the low end of what you could possibly get in that area. You might have to make some concessions as far as space and/or amenities or just how "nice" the place is.

-I'm not a single female, so I don't know...but that area is popular with the younger crowd (near Vandy) and the professional crowd (associated with the college, the hospitals in the area, and office buildings). It's a pretty safe area, but the same common sense precautions about locking doors, not walking alone/avoiding dark or dimly lit areas at night still apply.

-Public transportation does serve the area (buses). The 3 West End is one of the most heavily traveled bus routes in the city. The 7 Hillsboro also runs along the edge of West End, through Vandy. Despite any possible stigma some might have attached to public transportation, I'd say both of those routes are quite safe. It's been several years since I've ridden on them, though.

-West End is close to downtown...depending on one's definition, the borders essentially touch each other (generally speaking, I-40/65 is the dividing line). It's more or less a mile from the middle of West End to the middle of downtown. About 1.5 to Vandy...2 to Centennial Park. It's really too far to walk, but a very short drive (5-10 minutes) or bus ride.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:27 PM

67 posts, read 221,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthebusdriver View Post

There are a lot of condos and apartments for rent around Vandy, Long Blvd. and Acklen Park Drive but $750 is low. Expect to pay at least $900 unless you can find an apartment/condo to share.
I recommend it highly to a single female--it's very safe. There is public transportation and it is walkable. It is very close to Downtown Nashville--that's one of its selling points!
Get in the car--blink your eyes--you're downtown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville