Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 09:51 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,402,055 times

Advertisements

has our entire Franklin/Nashville itinerary complete for our trip next week. lol. This may be a boring thread for some, but I ask that you provide feedback on whether we chose the right places to represent our respective interests--mostly food . Let me know if there are any MUST try/see that are not on our list.

Our goal is to get a feel for what it is like to live in the area, not to be a tourist in the area, so many popular destinations may not be on this list. I'm going to list it in category rather than schedule....

Breakfast:
-Country Boy Restaurant--diner food (franklin)
-NY Bagel Cafe and Deli (franklin)

Lunch:
-Moe's Original BBQ (franklin)
-Wall Street Pizza--NY style (franklin)
*or Sals Family pizza (franklin)
-Mas Taco--mexican (nashville)
-Shiki--sushi (franklin)

Dinner:
-55 South (franklin)
-Red Pony Restaurant (franklin)
-Saffire (franklin)
-House of India (franklin)

Bars/pubs:
-Brewhouse South (franklin)
-Honky Tonk Highway--various (Nashville)
-?

Gun Stores:
-Franklin Gun Shop (franklin)
-Armadillo Arms (franklin)
-Lock Stock and Barrel (franklin)
-Arms and Ammo (franklin)

Shopping:
-Cool Springs Galleria (franklin)
-Mall at Green Hills (nashville)
-?

Entertainment:
-Johny Cash Museum (nashville)
-Country Music Hall of Fame (nashville)
-Music Row--various/studio b (nashville)

Prospective towns to visit: Budget 350k
-Franklin (neighborhoods?)
-Brentwood (neighborhoods?)
-Thompsons Station (n?)
-Spring Hill (n?)

Unfortunately our trip is too short to do any hiking

Feel free to fill in question marks, denounce the Yelp dotcom suggestions, or offer any other items to the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 10:28 PM

838 posts, read 1,204,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
has our entire Franklin/Nashville itinerary complete for our trip next week. lol. This may be a boring thread for some, but I ask that you provide feedback on whether we chose the right places to represent our respective interests--mostly food . Let me know if there are any MUST try/see that are not on our list.

Our goal is to get a feel for what it is like to live in the area, not to be a tourist in the area, so many popular destinations may not be on this list. I'm going to list it in category rather than schedule....

Bars/pubs:
You might want to add Pinewood Social to that list. That is a cool bar, near downtown in the old trolley stables.

Quote:
Gun Stores:
Franklin Gun Shop has a lot of inventory but it is pricey. There are a lot of guys in there that also have that 'crusty old guy' attitude if you know what I mean.

I would definitely hit up Everything Weapons on Moores Lane in Franklin. That is a great gun shop.

Quote:
Shopping:
My opinion - Cool Springs is nice but just about as generic as malls come. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice mall just nothing at all special about it.

Green Hills has some of the more upscale stores in town but the layout of the mall is just really off and the traffic can be brutal.

Honestly, I think the Opry Mills Mall would be a more interesting mall to visit. It's a huge mall and has more personality. It has Bass Pro Shops, the Aquarium restaurant, Johnny Rockets, Rainforest Cafe and, most importantly, Orange Julius! It also has pretty good live music almost all the time. It's still just a mall but it is the largest of the three and to me it has more character than the other two listed.

Quote:
-Thompsons Station (n?)
-Spring Hill (n?)
With that budget and looking at the other areas you're considering, I would definitely give Nolensville a solid look.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:39 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,261,681 times
Quote:

Breakfast:
-Country Boy Restaurant--diner food (franklin)
-NY Bagel Cafe and Deli (franklin)

Lunch:
-Moe's Original BBQ (franklin)
-Wall Street Pizza--NY style (franklin)
*or Sals Family pizza (franklin)
-Mas Taco--mexican (nashville)
-Shiki--sushi (franklin)

Dinner:
-55 South (franklin)
-Red Pony Restaurant (franklin)
-Saffire (franklin)
-House of India (franklin)

Bars/pubs:
-?

Gun Stores:

Shopping:
-?

Entertainment:
-Johny Cash Museum (nashville)
-Country Music Hall of Fame (nashville)
-Music Row--various/studio b (nashville)

-Thompsons Station (n?)
-Spring Hill (n?)

Feel free to fill in question marks, denounce the Yelp dotcom suggestions, or offer any other items to the list.
bspray covered it pretty well.

Since you seem to be focusing on Williamson County, I won't give you any out of county food suggestions. You'll have more time to explore those after you move here.

I would add for breakfast places, you might check out the Frothy Monkey (if you are a coffee drinker) or Meridee's (if you like bread and stuff -- it's a Swedish bakery). Both of those are in Downtown Franklin.

For bars, Brewhouse South has a good beer selection. It's a pretty good choice. I am a fan of 12th South Taproom (12th South neighborhood), Broadway Brewhouse (Midtown), and the Flying Saucer (Downtown Nashville)...but with the distance you'll have to travel, just keep it to a couple of beers.

I'd mark off visiting Music Row....there's honestly not much to see. The Studio B tour is kind of neat, but I think the Country Music Hall of Fame will be a much more rewarding experience. I haven't been to the Johnny Cash museum, but I've heard great things.

For shopping, if you're going to be in Downtown Franklin anyways, check out the shops there. There's not much for someone like me...but some of the shops are kind of neat. And it's a lovely setting. You might also check out The Factory, which is close by.

I agree with bspray about both Cool Springs and Green Hills. Cool Springs is a nice, large, clean mall. Lots of stores. It's healthy (not much in terms of vacancy). It's on the moderate/upscale side, but there aren't a lot of unique stores. Green Hills is the posh "rich woman's mall", and has more in terms of upscale stores that are unique to the Nashville market. But I agree the layout is bad, mainly because it has been added on to multiple times, so unlike a lot of other malls, it doesn't have a single long corridor. It sort of snakes through. Opry Mills isn't upscale, but it's nice and has a lot of unique stores.

In any case, the shopping should just give you a taste of what normal activity is like. After you move, you'll find the stores and areas where you like to shop. Cool Springs, including the areas outside of the mall, is by far the largest retail district in the state. It should satisfy all of your everyday shopping needs with ease. But avoid the place like hell during the holidays. People come all the way from Southern Kentucky and Northern Alabama to shop there then.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:39 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,518,218 times
Quote:

-Thompsons Station (n?)
-Spring Hill (n?)

I don't think you'll find anything in Brentwood at your price point. Median sales price is north of $600k

In Franklin I'd look at Fieldstone Farms, Franklin Green, Spencer Hall, Polk Place, Dallas Downs to name a few.

Thompson Station I'd look at Tollgate Village

Old 05-13-2014, 07:31 AM

336 posts, read 441,258 times
I highly recommend a little trip south to Lynchburg to visit/take a tour to the Jack Daniels Distillery if it peaks your interest. Very cool/informative and the cost is free! Takes about 75 minutes. There is some steps and you are outside some, so early before it gets hot would be recommended.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
You might want to add Pinewood Social to that list. That is a cool bar, near downtown in the old trolley stables.

Will do. In need of another night activity in franklin.

Franklin Gun Shop has a lot of inventory but it is pricey. There are a lot of guys in there that also have that 'crusty old guy' attitude if you know what I mean.

I would definitely hit up Everything Weapons on Moores Lane in Franklin. That is a great gun shop.

Yeah, I guess that not just a northern phenomenon. For some reason many gun store owners are the rudest, least customer friendly business owners--especially not good for that type of business IMO. I don't give those type of people a dime.

If they have good inventory I will still go. I want to hold an Israeli Tavor if possible. Will probably be my first TN purchase. They started importing them like 2 months after CTs new ban--you know, because all those hood rats are using $2,000 rifles to commit crimes over $20 coke non-payments

My opinion - Cool Springs is nice but just about as generic as malls come. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice mall just nothing at all special about it.

Green Hills has some of the more upscale stores in town but the layout of the mall is just really off and the traffic can be brutal.

Honestly, I think the Opry Mills Mall would be a more interesting mall to visit. It's a huge mall and has more personality. It has Bass Pro Shops, the Aquarium restaurant, Johnny Rockets, Rainforest Cafe and, most importantly, Orange Julius! It also has pretty good live music almost all the time. It's still just a mall but it is the largest of the three and to me it has more character than the other two listed.

I'm sure the misses will definitely be adding this to the list. thanks.

With that budget and looking at the other areas you're considering, I would definitely give Nolensville a solid look.

How are the schools? Kids will be the next phase of life after moving and settling in so this ranks top on our priorities.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I don't think you'll find anything in Brentwood at your price point. Median sales price is north of $600k

In Franklin I'd look at Fieldstone Farms, Franklin Green, Spencer Hall, Polk Place, Dallas Downs to name a few.

Thompson Station I'd look at Tollgate Village
Thanks for the neighborhood suggestions!

Brentwood might not have as much stock in that price range, but I have definitely seen more than a few that we like.

6901 Scarlet Ridge Dr, Brentwood, TN 37027 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

1009 Thyme Ct, Brentwood, TN 37027 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

641 Old Hickory Blvd Unit 7 Unit 7, Brentwood, TN 37027 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Anyway, I realize our main priority should be to look at apartments since we will most likely not both get jobs, sell our house and find a house, close, and move in all simultaneously--as awesome as that would be. Easiest thing will prob be to rent in the town we like the most so we can learn more about it and be more objective and less desperate during the home buying process.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
bspray covered it pretty well.

Since you seem to be focusing on Williamson County, I won't give you any out of county food suggestions. You'll have more time to explore those after you move here.

I would add for breakfast places, you might check out the Frothy Monkey (if you are a coffee drinker) or Meridee's (if you like bread and stuff -- it's a Swedish bakery). Both of those are in Downtown Franklin.

For bars, Brewhouse South has a good beer selection. It's a pretty good choice. I am a fan of 12th South Taproom (12th South neighborhood), Broadway Brewhouse (Midtown), and the Flying Saucer (Downtown Nashville)...but with the distance you'll have to travel, just keep it to a couple of beers.

I'd mark off visiting Music Row....there's honestly not much to see. The Studio B tour is kind of neat, but I think the Country Music Hall of Fame will be a much more rewarding experience. I haven't been to the Johnny Cash museum, but I've heard great things.

For shopping, if you're going to be in Downtown Franklin anyways, check out the shops there. There's not much for someone like me...but some of the shops are kind of neat. And it's a lovely setting. You might also check out The Factory, which is close by.

I agree with bspray about both Cool Springs and Green Hills. Cool Springs is a nice, large, clean mall. Lots of stores. It's healthy (not much in terms of vacancy). It's on the moderate/upscale side, but there aren't a lot of unique stores. Green Hills is the posh "rich woman's mall", and has more in terms of upscale stores that are unique to the Nashville market. But I agree the layout is bad, mainly because it has been added on to multiple times, so unlike a lot of other malls, it doesn't have a single long corridor. It sort of snakes through. Opry Mills isn't upscale, but it's nice and has a lot of unique stores.

In any case, the shopping should just give you a taste of what normal activity is like. After you move, you'll find the stores and areas where you like to shop. Cool Springs, including the areas outside of the mall, is by far the largest retail district in the state. It should satisfy all of your everyday shopping needs with ease. But avoid the place like hell during the holidays. People come all the way from Southern Kentucky and Northern Alabama to shop there then.
We probably will eliminate music row for now. Our nashville day looks a little busier than we had thought, especially if we are adding in the Opry mall.

We also needed ad extra breakfast. perfect. thanks!

Old 05-13-2014, 07:58 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,053,519 times
Country Boy Restaurant (fun place) is out in Leiper's Fork, not in Franklin. Just FYI.

Also, all these houses in "Brentwood" are in Davidson County, not Williamson County. So they have a Brentwood postal address but aren't in the Brentwood that's high end. NICE houses nonetheless, but schools and taxes will be different than if you were in the Brentwood in Williamson County. Just a heads up! There's a little line just above the address on the listing that starts with the word "viewing" and follow it along and you'll see the houses are located in Davidson County.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:05 AM

4,336 posts, read 4,683,445 times
Quote:
Thanks for the neighborhood suggestions!

Brentwood might not have as much stock in that price range, but I have definitely seen more than a few that we like.

6901 Scarlet Ridge Dr, Brentwood, TN 37027 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

1009 Thyme Ct, Brentwood, TN 37027 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

641 Old Hickory Blvd Unit 7 Unit 7, Brentwood, TN 37027 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Anyway, I realize our main priority should be to look at apartments since we will most likely not both get jobs, sell our house and find a house, close, and move in all simultaneously--as awesome as that would be. Easiest thing will prob be to rent in the town we like the most so we can learn more about it and be more objective and less desperate during the home buying process.
Wait, you don't have jobs? Figuring out where to live would be very dependent upon where the job was. And RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Property Finder is where to look for a house, not realtor,com.

Also, Pinewood Social is in Nashville not Franklin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville