Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 05:11 PM

41 posts, read 86,726 times

Advertisements

When I first moved in a year and a half ago, I began to notice my next door neighbor's dogs barking in the middle of the night. Trying to be nice and little trouble, I ignored it and wore ear plugs for about a year. Six months ago, they asked if the dogs bothered me. "Well as a matter of fact..." and told them I really liked them, but have a really hard time sleeping when their dogs bark all night long.

"They tear up the door if we keep them in."

"Well, if you can do something, I'd be able to sleep and be more productive."

So, they kept them inside it seemed for about a month, then it started again. Bark bark bark... and not that my neighbors bother to tell them to shut up either. So, one Sunday, I brought a gift over and as I was leaving said, "By the way, I've been waking up again. Are the dogs still being kept in?" "We put bark collars on them. Can you tell?" Bark bark bark YIP! bark... bark...

I feel sorry for the dogs. They never play with them, never walk them and never let them inside. No wonder they bark all night.

In any case, I lost it last night. at 2:38, I whipped open the window and yelled, "Shut UUUPPPP!!!" Of course the dogs just got louder, so I put on my robe and slippers and tore open the front door, stomped around to the back yard and yelled at them there, knowing I was right under the neighbors' window.

Nothing.

I know that the Metro ordinance has rules against barking dogs referred to as "animal nuisance." I don't want to be a bad neighbor, but I've had it with them. They would probably mow over my landscaping to get back at me. But I've had it. I've had evil thoughts of pepper spraying the dogs, but it's not their fault.

I've asked very nicely TWICE, and the dogs still run out and bark in the middle of the night.

Please... anyone else have this issue and how do you handle it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 05:19 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,566,018 times
Call the police. They are in violation of the noise ordinance.

You've done more than most people would do.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:52 PM

362 posts, read 643,034 times
I agree, call the police. They are also neglecting their dogs. If they can't take care of them they should be surrendered and put up for adoption (no kill shelter of course)

Old 05-17-2014, 06:28 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,709,850 times
Yep, call the police. (non emergency line)

Old 05-17-2014, 08:55 PM

136 posts, read 209,236 times
Police. If you have a home owners association that would be your slightly more gentle option...

Old 05-18-2014, 07:21 AM

Believe me, I would call the police if I wasn't worried about neighborly relationships. I'm also afraid of retaliation. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 05-18-2014, 10:08 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,054,177 times
First of all, you are NOT alone. Noise complaints are extremely common police calls. Parties, loud cars, and dogs.

I am assuming (not sure why) that you are in Davidson County? Only because it seems like you don't have an HOA and Williamson County seems HOA heavy (and I can add that from personal experience they are not all that helpful, depends on the issue).

Here is the county ordinance concerning barking dogs:

8.12.010 - Keeping of animals that disturb the peace.
A.
It is unlawful for any person to keep any animal, dog, bird or fowl which, by causing frequent or loud continued noise, disturbs the comfort or repose of any person in the vicinity.

B.
Violation of this section shall be declared to be public nuisance which violation may be enjoined by any court of competent jurisdiction.

(§ 2 of Amdt. 1 to Ord. 90-1275, 7/17/90; Ord. 90-1275 §§ 1, 2, 1990)

I think I'd be tempted to print it out and attach it to your neighbors front door. Perhaps with a note saying it's really gotten out of hand and if they don't remedy it, you will file a complaint.

You're letting the welfare of your neighbors door be more important than you sleeping through the night! NOT OK!

This is going to sound a little weird but I remember hearing this talk about power. And the speaker compared it to a tennis game where the one in power is the one serving the ball, because they can score. The other side can not until THEY get the serve.

A shift in power can be VERY subtle. You just have to take it. Right now, you have given the power to your neighbor's door.

Be firm, be friendly, but be BOLD! Don't go over when you are angry. The law is on your side. There are many 'fixes' for your neighbors. They can keep the dogs inside, they can train them, they can give them away, they can REALLY put bark collars on the, THEY can be the ones being disturbed.

You don't have many options other than moving. Are there other neighbors who are also disturbed???

Maybe every night they wake you up, tape this on their door with a number in the corner.

So they see how often in happens.

And on Strike 3? Make a complaint.

If you need the non emergency number for the police or for animal control wherever you DO live (in case it's not Davidson County) DM me and I'll get it for you.

DON'T LET THIS GO ON. It might only get worse.

WhatEVER they do to retaliate (and my guess is they won't) will also be against the law and you can call the cops again. Give them a chance first to do SOMETHING and then call the police.

Been through it, it CAN get better! You DESERVE a good night's sleep.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:31 AM

96 posts, read 171,889 times
Sleep deprivation due to barking dogs in not tolerable. I would speak with them one more time, explain all the things you have suggested they do to eliminate the problem with no results. I would warn them that your next step is to call the police. Explain how no sleep is impacting you and it must stop.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:34 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,549,401 times
Well, the neighbors aren't worried about neighborly relations. If you prefer, you can speak to them once again, telling them you really are concerned about your sleep deprivation and see no other way than to call the police tonight when the dogs start barking...and add...and any time in the future when they do. These people seem like children, sneaking the dogs out in a month or so.

That way they do it to themselves. You have told them what will happen to them if they do this.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:46 AM

CountryGirl, thank you for the long response and useful information. I had seen the ordinance before, but am of the nature that I'm uncomfortable with confrontation. I just want peace... However, I like the idea of printing it out, then including the dates and times of night that I've been woken up. Then I can hand it to them.

Yesterday, he saw me outside and come over friendly like. Asking what's wrong, I say, "I just have not been getting enough sleep." Why not? "Your dogs keep waking me up."

So he begins arguing that I should come over and observe that they are asleep. It was a frustrating and inane conversation with me saying that they are doing it, and him arguing that when they go to sleep the dogs are asleep. Sigh...

Thanks to everyone for the support. Just reading that you're on my side gives me the inspiration to make the next step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville