Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 05:37 AM

138 posts, read 600,734 times

Advertisements

In my research of TN.. and our possible move.. I know that heading to church on Sunday is common. More so than in NY. However, I am Roman Catholic and I hear.. not too many RC churches around the Nashville, Brentwood area. Baptist only.

Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 06:09 AM

584 posts, read 1,136,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chella View Post
In my research of TN.. and our possible move.. I know that heading to church on Sunday is common. More so than in NY. However, I am Roman Catholic and I hear.. not too many RC churches around the Nashville, Brentwood area. Baptist only.

Is this true?
I have quite a few RC friends. I do not know where they worship, but they live in Williamson County and worship locally. You won't be alone.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:21 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,741,932 times
There are Catholic Churches everywhere

Old 05-29-2014, 06:33 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Not true at all.

Holy Family is a large and thriving Catholic Church in Brentwood.

Holy Family Catholic Church Brentwood Tennessee

Nashville also has many.

http://www.dioceseofnashville.com

There are as many Christian denominations in this area as you can think of, and some you'd never think of.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:59 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,546,355 times
There are a lot of catholics here and a surprising number are "natives". :-)

Old 05-29-2014, 09:41 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,439,663 times
The Eternal Word Television Network (EWTN - Global Catholic TV Network) is just a couple of hours down the road in Birmingham.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:10 PM

159 posts, read 333,128 times
St. Phillips in Franklin, St. Catherine's in Columbia. Many in Nashville, including the Cathedral.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:50 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,656 times
Quote:

Is this true?

There won't be as many RC churches as you're used to. I'm originally from the Chicagoland area, and we had a parish in every neighborhood. Sometimes 2. I have no neighborhood parish here in my entire zip code.

I've got a large parish to the North of me in Madison, TN. A small parish in East Nashville.

There are some very large parishes in Nashville, but you're going to find it different than what you're used to.
More Baptists, Church of Christ, Nazarenes, etc. There are many, many more Protestant churches here than Catholic.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:19 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:

Is this true?
Church going is even down considerably in the bible belt. Its more prevalent then other parts of the country, yes, but we also have an older population.

In my experience growing up in a southern baptist church, church is more of a social function then it is about God. Generally people would get drunk in the parking lot after church during a BBQ.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:27 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Church going is even down considerably in the bible belt. Its more prevalent then other parts of the country, yes, but we also have an older population.

In my experience growing up in a southern baptist church, church is more of a social function then it is about God. Generally people would get drunk in the parking lot after church during a BBQ.
That may have just been your church. I've been to Baptist churches from 300 members to 30,000 members and never seen anything like that. Nor at any of the denominations we have attended.

To the OP, most of my neighbors are transplants and we definitely have more Catholics than Baptists on our street. I think you will be fine here. Holy Family is one of the bigger churches in Brentwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville