Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 11:24 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
No area is crime free... If I'm not mistaken there was a robbery reported just tonight on the news in Brentwood... Antioch much more populated than Brentwood is, and probably Franklin too, geographic larger than Brentwood as well... A lot more diverse and much more economically diverse and all... A lot less cookie cutter, more REAL, everyday people, so of coarse you are going to have more going on, but got the population of Antioch, the percentage of crime of pretty good compared to it's other counterparts with in Nashville, and random, violent crimes are rare in Antioch.
I'd bet the farm that Brentwood + Franklin combined (larger population than Antioch) have quite a bit less violent crime than Antioch.

You are right that Antioch is more diverse. I don't think anyone would claim otherwise. And that's not typically what the Brentwood/Franklin house shopper is looking for.

The rest of your rant is a little bit odd, though.

Less cookie cutter? Antioch is full of cookie cutter apartment and housing developments. And at least Franklin can claim its downtown is unique.

More "real" everyday people? Everyone I meet is real, regardless of where they live. If they are not real, they are not a person. They are a mannequin. If you are suggesting that people with money (which Williamson Co has plenty of, but is not exclusive to) are not "real", then that is as shallow of an assessment as saying lower and middle income people don't matter. That is a two way street. Everybody is real. Everybody matters.

More "going on"...I'd venture that Cool Springs has far more "going on" than any area in Antioch. And it's not really a fair fight.

I tend to agree that people exacerbate the problems that Antioch has, but if you want to compare them to Williamson Co, then you have jumped off the deep end with concrete boots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Most people who think Antioch is so crime ridden have never even been in Antioch, maybe only driven through it for 1 minute or so and claim they know Antioch... Let's just face it, Antioch is not lily white like Brentwood, Franklin, Hendersonville, or other places, so therefore people make it out to be a crime for the people not to be white... So a group of non-whites in the same location together is considered a gang, tho it's just people minding their own business, law abiding citizens... Y'all know it's true.
You say this as if white people can't be associated with gangs.

Racist.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:15 AM

838 posts, read 1,210,414 times
When I first moved to Nashville from San Antonio last year, I came to town a few months before my family in order to get our living arrangements in order and let my son finish the school year there. I rented an apartment in the Brentioch area for a few months until I found a house. I used to go over to Antioch quite a bit because there is a cool little arcade that has pinball machines right next to 360 Burger. Tuesday nights this arcade would stay open until 10 pm so I used to hit it up quite a bit on Tuesdays. A nice beer and a burger at 360 Burger followed by a couple of hours of pinball was a good time for me, I am boring like that I guess.

Being from San Antonio, I am a pretty big Spurs fan. One particular Tuesday night, I decided I wanted a steak and to watch the Spurs play the Grizzlies in the playoffs before heading over to play some pinball. I thought I remembered there being an Outback in the Antioch area from when I was here in 2005. I drove all around looking for it and couldn't find it so I ended up at Logans. I was the only white guy in the bar area and definitely the only person cheering for the Spurs. I never felt threatened, I never felt in danger.

Of course, I am 6' tall and weigh 200 lbs so I don't feel threatened very often. I did worry about my car in the parking lot, but that had more to do with the doors getting dinged than getting broken into or stolen.

I am restoring an old car in my garage and I am trying to build out a nice little wood shop in the crawl space (more like an unfinished basement) below my house so I shop at Harbor Freight a lot too. I've never felt threatened there either.

I also like to explore. I've spent literally days driving around ALL areas of Nashville. That includes pretty much all of Antioch.

I say all that to point out that I do spend time in Antioch and I do shop there as well. You're not going to be able to just write me off as someone that talks about Antioch without any experience as to what it is really like.

Again, I am not saying Antioch is necessarily unsafe or dangerous but it is A LOT more suspect than Brentwood or Franklin and it is just ridiculous to suggest otherwise. I understand your use of hyperbole to strike a chord but in this case, it genuinely hurts your argument and really kind of makes you look foolish.

Argue that Antioch gets a bad rap or argue that is genuinely is a safe place and I will listen. I will probably even agree with some of your points. Argue that it is comparable to Brentwood or Franklin with regard to crime and I will laugh at you, as will pretty much everyone else reading... including your fellow Antioch residents.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:18 AM

815 posts, read 2,017,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
When I first moved to Nashville from San Antonio last year, I came to town a few months before my family in order to get our living arrangements in order and let my son finish the school year there. I rented an apartment in the Brentioch area for a few months until I found a house. I used to go over to Antioch quite a bit because there is a cool little arcade that has pinball machines right next to 360 Burger. Tuesday nights this arcade would stay open until 10 pm so I used to hit it up quite a bit on Tuesdays. A nice beer and a burger at 360 Burger followed by a couple of hours of pinball was a good time for me, I am boring like that I guess.

Being from San Antonio, I am a pretty big Spurs fan. One particular Tuesday night, I decided I wanted a steak and to watch the Spurs play the Grizzlies in the playoffs before heading over to play some pinball. I thought I remembered there being an Outback in the Antioch area from when I was here in 2005. I drove all around looking for it and couldn't find it so I ended up at Logans. I was the only white guy in the bar area and definitely the only person cheering for the Spurs. I never felt threatened, I never felt in danger.

Of course, I am 6' tall and weigh 200 lbs so I don't feel threatened very often. I did worry about my car in the parking lot, but that had more to do with the doors getting dinged than getting broken into or stolen.

I am restoring an old car in my garage and I am trying to build out a nice little wood shop in the crawl space (more like an unfinished basement) below my house so I shop at Harbor Freight a lot too. I've never felt threatened there either.

I also like to explore. I've spent literally days driving around ALL areas of Nashville. That includes pretty much all of Antioch.

I say all that to point out that I do spend time in Antioch and I do shop there as well. You're not going to be able to just write me off as someone that talks about Antioch without any experience as to what it is really like.

Again, I am not saying Antioch is necessarily unsafe or dangerous but it is A LOT more suspect than Brentwood or Franklin and it is just ridiculous to suggest otherwise. I understand your use of hyperbole to strike a chord but in this case, it genuinely hurts your argument and really kind of makes you look foolish.

Argue that Antioch gets a bad rap or argue that is genuinely is a safe place and I will listen. I will probably even agree with some of your points. Argue that it is comparable to Brentwood or Franklin with regard to crime and I will laugh at you, as will pretty much everyone else reading... including your fellow Antioch residents.
To mention that you were the only white at the bar, and the area feels a LOT more suspect, in the same thought says a lot... The fact that you noticed that (and I'm quite sure there were some other whites near by) and still remember it just shows it's more of the make up of Antioch that makes more suspect... Have you ever had any problems/been a victim of a crime or witnessed a crime with your own eyes in Antioch? I'm just trying to see what makes it so suspect.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
You say this as if white people can't be associated with gangs.

Racist.
Next...

Old 06-14-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I'd bet the farm that Brentwood + Franklin combined (larger population than Antioch) have quite a bit less violent crime than Antioch.

You are right that Antioch is more diverse. I don't think anyone would claim otherwise. And that's not typically what the Brentwood/Franklin house shopper is looking for.

The rest of your rant is a little bit odd, though.

Less cookie cutter? Antioch is full of cookie cutter apartment and housing developments. And at least Franklin can claim its downtown is unique.

More "real" everyday people? Everyone I meet is real, regardless of where they live. If they are not real, they are not a person. They are a mannequin. If you are suggesting that people with money (which Williamson Co has plenty of, but is not exclusive to) are not "real", then that is as shallow of an assessment as saying lower and middle income people don't matter. That is a two way street. Everybody is real. Everybody matters.

More "going on"...I'd venture that Cool Springs has far more "going on" than any area in Antioch. And it's not really a fair fight.

I tend to agree that people exacerbate the problems that Antioch has, but if you want to compare them to Williamson Co, then you have jumped off the deep end with concrete boots.
You would never understand....

Old 06-14-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
You would never understand....
White people aren't real.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
White people aren't real.
You win the internet.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
To mention that you were the only white at the bar, and the area feels a LOT more suspect, in the same thought says a lot... The fact that you noticed that (and I'm quite sure there were some other whites near by) and still remember it just shows it's more of the make up of Antioch that makes more suspect... Have you ever had any problems/been a victim of a crime or witnessed a crime with your own eyes in Antioch? I'm just trying to see what makes it so suspect.
I didn't mention that I was the only white person in the bar area and that Antioch feels A LOT more suspect than Brentwood and Franklin (thanks for conveniently leaving that part out) in the same thought. I mentioned them in two different paragraphs.

I never said there weren't whites nearby, there were plenty in the restaurant area but I was in the bar area, watching the game and I was the only white person in there. You can interpret that however you want.

Yes, I have witnessed crime happening in Antioch, not sure what difference that makes. No I have never had any problems in Antioch.

If you want to know what makes it so suspect, it is the appearance of a lot of the property in the area. There are a lot of areas of Antioch that are run down. There is clearly not much pride in certain areas of Antioch. Show me where that exists in Brentwood? There are a lot of empty retail centers and lots of stores that are not well maintained. I've yet to see any of that in Brentwood. There are also a lot of young people walking around without shirts and their pants hanging halfway down their butts. Again, show me where that is happening in Brentwood.

If you're comfortable in that type of environment, more power to you. I see those conditions and I consider the area suspect. My opinion shouldn't cause you to lose any more sleep than your opinion causes me to lose (hint - it's zero).

I've been trying to give you the benefit of the doubt but you're doing everything in your power to fight it. Antioch is what it is. You know it, I know it and so does everyone else in the area. You can single-handedly try to change the opinions of everyone in the greater Nashville area but I can tell you, being confrontational about it probably isn't the right way to do it.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
I didn't mention that I was the only white person in the bar area and that Antioch feels A LOT more suspect than Brentwood and Franklin (thanks for conveniently leaving that part out) in the same thought. I mentioned them in two different paragraphs.

I never said there weren't whites nearby, there were plenty in the restaurant area but I was in the bar area, watching the game and I was the only white person in there. You can interpret that however you want.

Yes, I have witnessed crime happening in Antioch, not sure what difference that makes. No I have never had any problems in Antioch.

If you want to know what makes it so suspect, it is the appearance of a lot of the property in the area. There are a lot of areas of Antioch that are run down. There is clearly not much pride in certain areas of Antioch. Show me where that exists in Brentwood? There are a lot of empty retail centers and lots of stores that are not well maintained. I've yet to see any of that in Brentwood. There are also a lot of young people walking around without shirts and their pants hanging halfway down their butts. Again, show me where that is happening in Brentwood.

If you're comfortable in that type of environment, more power to you. I see those conditions and I consider the area suspect. My opinion shouldn't cause you to lose any more sleep than your opinion causes me to lose (hint - it's zero).

I've been trying to give you the benefit of the doubt but you're doing everything in your power to fight it. Antioch is what it is. You know it, I know it and so does everyone else in the area. You can single-handedly try to change the opinions of everyone in the greater Nashville area but I can tell you, being confrontational about it probably isn't the right way to do it.
Same thought, paragraphs, different paragraph, whatever you want you want to call it, you made the observation and comparison.
Yes there may be some vacant buildings in Antioch but you fail to mention the buildings being built and things moving into vacant buildings. Yes there are some older parts that appear to be run down but there is no way you can say that that is even 10% of Antioch... There are old run down looking parts all over Nashville but that doesn't make them bad or suspect...and Antioch does have pride... Yes you may have seen very, very, few walking around with shirts off, etc., but you also saw people dressed nicely as well, and please believe that there are some very finely dressed individuals living luxurious homes that have some really bad things going on behind closed doors... And I highly doubt you witnessed a crime while in Antioch....

Last edited by JMT; 06-14-2014 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: We're not going to go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville