Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2014, 11:55 PM

3 posts, read 5,460 times

Advertisements

Hello, Im needing some help...me and my husband are thinking of moving to Tennessee, maybe Murfreesboro.
We currently live in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and we don't want to retire here due to the snow...yikes! We have lived all over due to my husband being in the Army. Been to Colorado, Kentucky, Virginia and Germany. Been to Nashville before but that was long ago. My husband currently works for the VA in Iron Mountain, MI
We are from Lower Michigan, but I was raised by good ol southern folk...my mom was from West Virginia and my dad from Kentucky, Grew up on beans and cornbread, biscuits and gravey and banjo pickin'...so I would love to live around some good Bluegrass music roots. But Nashville is out of the question for cost reasons. We thought maybe Murfreesboro would be an option due to the VA there also.
We want a medium sized town, not to small, not to big. Good shopping and restaurants. We are tired of missing out on whats going on in the world being kinda' in the middle of nowhere here. Its beautiful here and we love the area, just want more culture and fun and less shoveling and freezing for retirement.
We wont have tons of money so we need a cheap but safe rental...1 bed, 1 bath. We don't want anything huge just enough to feel cozy and safe and to travel to other places from. We want beautiful scenery and a nice hometown feel, but city luxuries like a mall. Its two hours from where we are now just to get to a real mall.
We want civilization with the least amount of crime as possible. Am I asking to much? Been out of the real world now for 15 years. And we are not old fogey goats, we still want some activities and sightseeing.
Any good suggestions out there for any good towns in all of Tennessee????
Sorry for rambling on...would be grateful for any info...
Thank Lisa Jo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 05:51 AM

337 posts, read 448,735 times
Hi Sevenofnine,

My wife and I both have retired from 20+ years in the Air Force each. Being from all over the world, there no nicer people than I have found in Murfreesboro. My wife currently works at the VA hospital in Murfreesboro and we live 1 block from it. I have had OUTSTANDING service from the VA and have had multiple procedures done in a timely manner.

I love Murfreesboro. It can be a bit congested but they are working on ways to diffuse some of that (Overpass over Broad/Memorial). Plenty of good eats here also.

We have ventured out a bit and we go to the Stock Car races at the Nashville Fairgrounds, Jack Daniels Distillery tour, Carnton Civil War Plantation Home Hospital, Fontanel (Barbara Mandrell Log Cabin Mansion tour) and many other neat things in the area.

I do not know if you want an apartment or a small home, but I pay 865$ for a 2 bedroom 2 bath. They jack on a couple other costs like you must pay 45$ basic cable, 7.95$ trash and 4.95$ pest control fees. But I think most of the apartments do that.

There are always events down on the square that are very different and unique.

Hollar back with a Direct Message if you have any specific questions I can help answer. I will try my best.

Jeff

Old 06-16-2014, 06:03 AM

223 posts, read 583,002 times
My wife and I retired to Murfreesboro 5 1/2 years ago and we really like it here. We're just outside the city limits so have the benefit of being close to everything and far enough away from the congestion. I can't help you with an apartment as we own a home. I think you'd find that Murfreesboro has plenty to offer and you're still only 35 miles from Nashville.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:25 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
What is your rental budget? TN tends to be more expensive than people think it will be . . .

Old 06-16-2014, 08:48 AM

13,352 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
What is your rental budget? TN tends to be more expensive than people think it will be . . .
The Nashville area tends to be more expensive than people think. But there are plenty of other popular retirement areas in Tennessee with much more affordable housing than there is in the Nashville area: Cookeville, Crossville, Kingsport. I do think the OP can find what they're looking for in Murfreesboro, but Cookeville is not a bad option: only an hour from Nashville, has a VA clinic, college town with a definite "country" feel, beautiful countryside, very popular retirement area. There's no mall, but there are many of the stores and restaurants typically found in malls and larger cities: JCPenney, Sears, Belk, Kirkland's, Sam's Club, TJMaxx, Kohl's, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Outback, etc.

Still, I think Murfreesboro is doable given the OP's parameters, depending on what their budget is, of course.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 06-16-2014 at 09:45 AM..

Old 06-18-2014, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 5,460 times
Thank you to everybody for the help, I'm greatful for all info.
I'm trying to figure out how to use this forum. I would send individual comments but I cant seem to understand how to do that, so I hope you understand if I dont respond back to each person...sorry!
This is such a great site and everyone is so helpful.
I just recieved an apartment guide in the mail yesterday from Murfreesboro. Lots of nice places! Kinda expensive, but i'm used to this cheap area I live in now. I know I will be in culture shock when we finally do get to move. But it will be so nice to be back in civilization. Lol
Iron Mountain and Kingsford, MI where I am now is so very lovely and the people are great up here and I will always be a Michigander...but it's time!
We will have to sell our house here first, just hope that wont take to long, the market up here is a bit slow. I'm hoping we can come to see the area by next spring, if not sooner.
Have a great day all of you out there! And Thanks again, Lisa Jo

Old 06-18-2014, 05:47 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
If you want to respond with a personal message, click on the name of the poster and scroll down to "Send message to this poster" (or something like that) and it will take you to a 'black sheet of paper' so you can write them! If they respond, you will get notification via the email address you used to sign up, along with a little screen that will pop up when you next navigate to the board.

Best of luck with your move!

Old 06-18-2014, 10:32 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenofnine View Post
Thank you to everybody for the help, I'm greatful for all info.
I'm trying to figure out how to use this forum. I would send individual comments but I cant seem to understand how to do that, so I hope you understand if I dont respond back to each person...sorry!
This is such a great site and everyone is so helpful.
I just recieved an apartment guide in the mail yesterday from Murfreesboro. Lots of nice places! Kinda expensive, but i'm used to this cheap area I live in now. I know I will be in culture shock when we finally do get to move. But it will be so nice to be back in civilization. Lol
Iron Mountain and Kingsford, MI where I am now is so very lovely and the people are great up here and I will always be a Michigander...but it's time!
We will have to sell our house here first, just hope that wont take to long, the market up here is a bit slow. I'm hoping we can come to see the area by next spring, if not sooner.
Have a great day all of you out there! And Thanks again, Lisa Jo
Good luck, I hope you choose Murfreesboro. Welcome to our community!

Old 06-21-2014, 09:20 PM

256 posts, read 482,165 times
Ah another Yooper. I have family ---er I mean kin in Calumet.

And I'd kill to have a pasty shop in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville