Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 09:09 PM

5 posts, read 16,375 times

Advertisements

my wife is in the museum/historical clothing line of work, and I have an information tech. degree. my degree is pretty broad, but in my current job i am a data manager. we both are wanting to move to the nashville area, to hopefully find great jobs, buy a house (eventually), and start our family.

my question is...should we move up there, then find a job, or try to land a job from FL then move up?

i imagine/pray that it will be relatively easy for me to find an IT job (any thoughts on that?), but it'll probably be more difficult for my wife (thoughts?). my biggest fear is moving up there w/o finding a job first, and we never find the good jobs we were hoping to find.

I guess I have a lot questions...so any advice on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks for your time and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 11:46 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curator08 View Post
my wife is in the museum/historical clothing line of work, and I have an information tech. degree. my degree is pretty broad, but in my current job i am a data manager. we both are wanting to move to the nashville area, to hopefully find great jobs, buy a house (eventually), and start our family.

my question is...should we move up there, then find a job, or try to land a job from FL then move up?

i imagine/pray that it will be relatively easy for me to find an IT job (any thoughts on that?), but it'll probably be more difficult for my wife (thoughts?). my biggest fear is moving up there w/o finding a job first, and we never find the good jobs we were hoping to find.

I guess I have a lot questions...so any advice on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks for your time and advice.
I would find the job first then move. I tend to be conservative but its usually the safest way. I would not move anywhere without a Job first.
My Husband worked for a company for 27 years, and was then recruited by another company that had their main office in Nashville. He told their NY office that he wouldn't take the job unless it involved a relocation to Nashville. The deal was work there for 1 year and then move here and that is what we did.
I went to college in Clarksville, so for me it was like coming home.
Diane

Old 12-19-2007, 12:04 PM

317 posts, read 1,231,193 times
I would get connected with some IT recruiters. There usually are a fair number of IT related jobs around, but I have heard that many employers do look at locals first. However, I can't confirm that it is true. A recruiter in your industry can definitely guide you in that area and get past any location barriers if they exist, especially if you're planning to move here. Now I am not endorsing any of these in particular because I do not have enough information to recommend one to work with, but here are some of the ones in town that are likely to have clients with IT jobs: Vaco, LLC, KForce Professional Staffing, Sysgenix Resources, Volt Services, Apex Systems, and Robert Half. You might also try Ajilon Consulting. As for your wife, I am a little unclear on what her line of work is (working with museums or clothing?) so I don't have any advice there for her at this point.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:21 PM

9 posts, read 28,783 times
I work for the employment security (state employment office). People come in all the time wanting jobs that have moved here from someplace else. Better to get SOME kind of job first so you can pay the rent. Jobs are fairly easy to find, but a GOOD job takes longer. You'll need to familiarize yourself with the area.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:28 AM

16 posts, read 75,593 times
And there would also be a good chance of obtaining a relocation package to help offset some of the moving expensive if you found a job here first. I work in IT and jobs do seem plentiful at the moment. For more specialized IT jobs, employers do look outside of the Tennessee market but for entry level type of work they do prefer the local market first. Healthcare IT is very big here so I would check into that. Contact me offline if you would like and maybe I can help point you in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: