Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 01:14 PM

25 posts, read 38,478 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going to be relocating to the Nashville are at the end of the year for work. I will be working in Brentwood and he will be in Nashville.

We want to be in a more conservative, possibly, rural area. We will be renting for the first year and then looking to buy a home (at least 1-5 acres). No children as of yet, but will in the next 5 years so we would like to be in a good school district for the future.

We have read a lot about Franklin, but find it to be a little expensive. We are moving from Palm Beach Gardens, FL and find that our rent is very very high. Franklin seems to be this way as well.

So, we read about Bellevue and Murfreesboro.
Murfreesboro seems like a far commute for work but a great area. Bellevue is closer and also seems to be a very nice area.

We are visiting in the next 3 weeks so any suggestions for places to visit is appreciated.
Also...
Any thoughts, comments, and tips for where to live or where not to live are very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 02:06 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,573,306 times
Murfreesboro has everything you'll ever need...... Shopping, restaurants, etc... However,
The commute to Brentwood via I-24 to exit 59 and hwy 254 will take appx. 40 minutes depending on traffic.
and I-24 to Nashville is a crawl whenever something happens, which is the norm around here.
Via I-24 to exit 74-B (840 bypass) and hwy 96 will be appx. 1 hour. each way every day......
I might consider looking in to Bellevue, but still like Murfreesboro much better...
Bellevue is much closer to Brentwood and Nashville but cost of living will be higher also.
Really it comes down to personal choice. Best of luck in your choice!!!

Old 09-02-2014, 03:21 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,528,773 times
Have you considered Nolensville?

Old 09-02-2014, 04:32 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,693,231 times
What is your rental budget?

Old 09-02-2014, 07:41 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,286,384 times
I think renting in Bellevue the first year would probably be OK.

Based on your preferences (more conservative, possibly rural area, 1-5 acres), I think I would start the home search in Fairview. That is, if you want it to stay relatively rural.

I like Nolensville, but the area all around it (except for, perhaps, due south) is going to change quite rapidly over the next 5-15 years. The good news is that your home value there is likely to increase (which, aside from paying more taxes, is a great thing when it comes time to sell again, if you need to). I think the schools are stronger around Nolensville. But I fear growth is really going to swallow that town up. It's not particularly close to an interstate, but is in somewhat of a sweet spot, with a reasonable commute to Brentwood, Franklin, La Verge, Smyrna, and Murfreesboro. It has a charming "village" commercial district, as well as the typical newer suburban strip developments. No grocery stores in town, but a short drive to a Publix and Kroger.

Fairview is a hair larger than Nolensville presently, but I don't believe it will remain larger for too much longer. It has a Publix and a Walmart, but a little more off the beaten path, between Franklin, Dickson, and Bellevue. Fairview has been growing, and will likely continue to. But I don't think it will grow at nearly the same rate as Nolensville. It will also likely be less expensive. It lacks the old small village charm of Nolensville, but will probably better maintain its sort of "rural" character better than Nolensville (just my opinion).

I would personally scratch off Murfreesboro, because I think that commute is hell, and will only get worse. There are some fairly rural areas off of Rock Springs and Rocky Fork roads in western Rutherford County that might work, though (but I would bring back the discussion that the area is rapidly changing).

Old 09-02-2014, 07:48 PM

Thank you all for the input.

Rental budget is 1000 or less. Obviously would like to be below that though.

Murfreesboro sounds like a nice area but with having to commute to Brentwood and Nashville on a daily basis I can see it being an issue.

We have not heard of nolensville or fairview so we will have to do some research and visit when we come up this month.

This is a little off topic but does anyone know about the emissions testing? My husband drives an older diesel truck with modified exhaust (black smoke, and it's loud lol).

Old 09-02-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalhoun View Post

This is a little off topic but does anyone know about the emissions testing? My husband drives an older diesel truck with modified exhaust (black smoke, and it's loud lol).
All the counties that have been mentioned so far - Davidson (Nashville & Bellevue), Rutherford (Murfreesboro), and Williamson (Fairview and Nolensville) - require emissions testing, so he will not be able to register that vehicle until it passes emissions.

The other TN counties that require it are Hamilton (Chattanooga), Sumner and Wilson.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
All the counties that have been mentioned so far - Davidson (Nashville & Bellevue), Rutherford (Murfreesboro), and Williamson (Fairview and Nolensville) - require emissions testing, so he will not be able to register that vehicle until it passes emissions.

The other TN counties that require it are Hamilton (Chattanooga), Sumner and Wilson.
Wow that's pretty surprising to us. I wouldn't of thought TN would have emissions testing. We're in Palm Beach County now with over 1 million people and we don't even have emissions testing.

I guess we'll just have to figure a way around it because he refuses to get rid of his truck

Old 09-03-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I think renting in Bellevue the first year would probably be OK.

Based on your preferences (more conservative, possibly rural area, 1-5 acres), I think I would start the home search in Fairview. That is, if you want it to stay relatively rural.

I like Nolensville, but the area all around it (except for, perhaps, due south) is going to change quite rapidly over the next 5-15 years. The good news is that your home value there is likely to increase (which, aside from paying more taxes, is a great thing when it comes time to sell again, if you need to). I think the schools are stronger around Nolensville. But I fear growth is really going to swallow that town up. It's not particularly close to an interstate, but is in somewhat of a sweet spot, with a reasonable commute to Brentwood, Franklin, La Verge, Smyrna, and Murfreesboro. It has a charming "village" commercial district, as well as the typical newer suburban strip developments. No grocery stores in town, but a short drive to a Publix and Kroger.

Fairview is a hair larger than Nolensville presently, but I don't believe it will remain larger for too much longer. It has a Publix and a Walmart, but a little more off the beaten path, between Franklin, Dickson, and Bellevue. Fairview has been growing, and will likely continue to. But I don't think it will grow at nearly the same rate as Nolensville. It will also likely be less expensive. It lacks the old small village charm of Nolensville, but will probably better maintain its sort of "rural" character better than Nolensville (just my opinion).

I would personally scratch off Murfreesboro, because I think that commute is hell, and will only get worse. There are some fairly rural areas off of Rock Springs and Rocky Fork roads in western Rutherford County that might work, though (but I would bring back the discussion that the area is rapidly changing).
Did some research last night and fairview seems reallyyyyy far from nashville and brentwood.

When you say renting in Bellevue the first year would probably be OK.... is there anything wrong with Bellevue? Crime, etc.?

Old 09-03-2014, 06:20 AM

Nothing wrong with Bellevue, but it doesn't really match your "rural" preference. There are parts that are less congested, but it's basically a part of Nashville.

I know people who commute to Brentwood from Fairview every day. It's not an interstate commute, and it's not easy, but they do it.

Your rental budget is going to limit you, especially if you want a house over an apartment.

Sounds like a visit is in order!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville