Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 11:52 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,082,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenewcomb9 View Post
Random question.. Do y'all have to put license plates on the front of your cars? Here in Va you do..but I know some states you don't. My husband would be very excited to get a titans plate for the front of our cars!
You'll see cars that drive around with other state's plates on the front of the car, while still having a TN on the back. For example I still have a California one that I never took off when I moved, which is basically just a vanity plate since it isn't valid. Now that I think about it, maybe that's kind of silly, but it's just one of those things that some people here can/will do.

Speaking of California, one thing I noticed when living there was that when people would ask me where I was from, I would get a much, much more favorable reaction when I said "Nashville" than when I said "Tennessee".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 08:27 PM

940 posts, read 1,901,398 times
The music business in Nashville was nil until around 1950 when the late '40's - initiated recording industry took off. Most cities would jump at the chance for a new industry to emerge, especially if it were music, but not Nashville then. Reason: the garden club/conference room set was very against it, because 'country' in the early 20th century was acoustic hillbilly music, and Nashville had established an image conscious business community concerned with financial services and manufacturing, and a population under a half million people anxious for complete emergence from the Civil War humiliation.

Just as Stanford and Berkeley sparked silicon valley, Vanderbilt sparked the emergence of the next wave in Nashville, health care management, starting with the founding of HCA by Jack Massey and Dr Thomas Frist Sr. of Vanderbilt. in 1968.

Quirky - Elvis played the Opry in '54 and went packing. Supposedly he cried on the way back home that night, see why here: Did Elvis play at the Grand Ole Opry

Old 09-08-2014, 08:33 PM

21 posts, read 45,612 times
Question on this comment: "I didn't know gas/electric would be more expensive than California."

I live in Austin and just paid what is usually are most expensive electric/water bill of the year for August. It was $315. (Power and water together) This is for a 4/2, 1900 Sq. Ft. house. We keep our thermostat around 78F on average and yes, it gets hot here in August which is why this is usually our priciest month.

What are you folks in Nashville paying on average right now for houses in a similar size range to mine? The comment that prompted this question is new to me as I've not heard too many complaints about Nashville utility rates.

Thanks!

Old 09-08-2014, 08:48 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,063 times
I have a 1550 sq ft 3/2 plus a bonus room house and the last electric bill was $67. Water/sewer/garbage is consistently around $57. I keep the house at 77 and run ceiling fans upstairs if I need to. All the utilities run $200 or less per month. Gas higher in the winter and electric higher in the summer. I think it's pretty reasonable.

PS. Gas ran $20 this month for the water heater.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:33 PM

53 posts, read 67,382 times
Nashville gas/electric and car insurance is MORE expensive than California?!?!?!? What is car insurance running?

Old 09-09-2014, 05:09 PM

34 posts, read 75,006 times
So, y'all can prolly answer this! Can you drink the tap water in nashville? Here in richmond you can, but growing up in Florida you couldn't. Will we need to buy bottled water?

Old 09-09-2014, 06:41 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,253 times
I moved here from Northern Illinois where my electric company was Commonwealth Edison. My electric bills here are much much cheaper. Plus my car insurance is substantially lower, with the same policy limits.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:18 PM

940 posts, read 1,901,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
I didn't know gas/electric would be more expensive than California. Or car insurance.
Electric rates, here we go

Price in S.F. 2-1/2 years ago:

12¢ / kWh - up to the baseline
14¢ / kWh - 101 to 130% of baseline
29¢ / kWh - 131 to 200% of baseline
33¢ / kWh - >200% of baseline

Average: approx. $ .22 -->http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/cost.html

Current rates in L.A. : $ .215 --> Average Energy Prices in the Los Angeles Area

Current rates in Nashville during summer highest demand: $ .107 --> Nashville Electric Service

Notice no progressive pricing in Nashville and rates less than half of that in the two largest CA metros.

Current rates in Houston, my zipcode, cheaper than Nashville for certain providers since Texas is the model for a competitive marketplace in the Nation: https://api.utilitychoice.com/api/c9...8/default/1000

Old 09-10-2014, 05:21 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
Electric rates, here we go

Price in S.F. 2-1/2 years ago:

12¢ / kWh - up to the baseline
14¢ / kWh - 101 to 130% of baseline
29¢ / kWh - 131 to 200% of baseline
33¢ / kWh - >200% of baseline

Average: approx. $ .22 -->http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/cost.html

Current rates in L.A. : $ .215 --> Average Energy Prices in the Los Angeles Area

Current rates in Nashville during summer highest demand: $ .107 --> Nashville Electric Service

Notice no progressive pricing in Nashville and rates less than half of that in the two largest CA metros.

Current rates in Houston, my zipcode, cheaper than Nashville for certain providers since Texas is the model for a competitive marketplace in the Nation: https://api.utilitychoice.com/api/c9...8/default/1000
As I've said multiple times before, in my personal situation, it is much more expensive here, except for (1) real estate (2) gas for the car, and (3) no state income tax. Hence what I have also said multiple times, everyone should run their own personal items to see and not take for a fact the blanket "oh it's so much cheaper here" statements as gospel. Other coworkers from Northern California and Washington DC have found similar issues.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:39 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenewcomb9 View Post
So, y'all can prolly answer this! Can you drink the tap water in nashville? Here in richmond you can, but growing up in Florida you couldn't. Will we need to buy bottled water?
You can drink the tap water here, but it doesn't taste as good as Memphis tap water. We drink the filtered water out of the fridge dispenser.

Florida tap water is the WORST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: